Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.
User

Lois Mauk

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:08 pm

Jeffersonville, Indiana

Looking for suggestions. Smoking a Boston Butt tomorrow

by Lois Mauk » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:23 pm

I've got two 5# Boston Butt Roasts. Tomorrow, I'm going to grind one and make Andouille sausage, which I will smoke for a couple of hours. As long as I'll have everything ready and smoking, I thought I'd go ahead and smoke the other one as a roast. Won't take much longer to do both than just the sausage.

I'm soliciting for suggestions and recipes for rubs, etc. Any ideas?

Lois
Make a fast friend . . . Adopt a retired racer from Greyhound Pets of America!
http://www.GPALouisville.org
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

Re: Looking for suggestions. Smoking a Boston Butt tomorrow

by Steve P » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:04 pm

Lois Mauk wrote:I've got two 5# Boston Butt Roasts. Tomorrow, I'm going to grind one and make Andouille sausage, which I will smoke for a couple of hours. As long as I'll have everything ready and smoking, I thought I'd go ahead and smoke the other one as a roast. Won't take much longer to do both than just the sausage.

I'm soliciting for suggestions and recipes for rubs, etc. Any ideas?

Lois

Check for a PM... :wink:
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
no avatar
User

Becky M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:02 pm

the other side of the river.....

by Becky M » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:40 pm

well shoot i was looking to get some free edukashunnin'
User

Lois Mauk

{ RANK }

Foodie

Jeffersonville, Indiana

by Lois Mauk » Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:22 am

Sorry, Becky, but I'm sworn to secrecy!

But, I did find a pretty interesting (and educasional) site at:
http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/pork ... _pork.html

I made up a half batch of the Memphis Dust I found on that site and have one Boston Butt all rubbed down and chilling. That one will get popped on the smoker first thing in the morning.

I've got the other Boston Butt cubed and seasoned, resting overnight in the fridge. I'll grind it tomorrow and stuff it in casings and get the links onto the smoker a little later in the morning.

We should have pulled Q by mid-afternoon tomorrow. Wish me luck.
no avatar
User

Becky M

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Becky M » Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:48 am

Lois Mauk wrote:Sorry, Becky, but I'm sworn to secrecy!

No biggie, i was just messing!

Lois Mauk wrote: We should have pulled Q by mid-afternoon tomorrow. Wish me luck.

and where shall i be pulling in tomorrow for said pulled Q......... :wink: :wink: :wink:

Hope you enjoy it! actually the cubed boston butt waiting to become sausages sounds interesting. Have you made them before or is this a first try?
User

Lois Mauk

{ RANK }

Foodie

Jeffersonville, Indiana

by Lois Mauk » Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:08 am

I make a batch of smoked Andouille sausage every couple of years and keep it in the freezer, ready to toss in a pot of Jambalaya, etc. I ain't Cajun and ain't no expert but I really like this sausage (whether it's authentic or not) a lot. Lots of black and red pepper, garlic, etc.

It's a lot of work seasoning and grinding the meat and stuffing it into the casings but it's really worthwhile. I'll share my recipe if you're interested.

BTW, I smoke my Andouille links with pecan wood chips and, if I can find it, I toss some sugar cane on the coals. I use everyday charcoal (Kingsford) as my base for the smoker because the good hardwood chunks just burn too darned hot for this application.

Everytime I go through all this work to smoke sausages, I always wish I had thought ahead and put something else on there to take advantage of all that yummy smoke! This time I did.

Tried to find a grill/smoker like mine on-line to show you. Apparently it's not available any more but I found this picture that someone else had posted:
no avatar
User

Becky M

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Becky M » Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:27 am

you know pictures of half-naked men, oiled down, with a steamy look in their eye does NOTHING for me...........that smoker thar'! that does it! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

If i had the time, i would definitely do something like making sausage. Sounds really good, and i am all for making your own things at home. You know what is going in, and you can make it to your liking. Plus it is usually cheaper for a better end result.

side note: i went to aldi's, took my mom as well. There is a definite savings there. Quick calculations everything is about 0.10-0.25 cents cheaper, which adds up in the end. Tomatoes were way cheaper and looked very nice, cucumbers cheaper, onions cheaper, eggs 0.89, the big one for me: Milk $1.49 :shock: :shock: :shock: ! I dont know if that is a sale price or not, but it is a great price. We go through so much milk in my house that i am willing to go there just for that.

My mother liked it as well. She needed a lot of staples and bought everything there. She liked the store because it is small and not crowded. She has medical problems and needs to be in a motorized cart at the big stores, but here it was easy for her to shop and a lot faster. I know i will be taking her there more often and i will be picking up a few things as well.
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:37 am

Lois,

That is the perfect piece of machinery to execute the top secret recipe. :wink: My best friend has on just like it and it's dah bomb. Never saw anything cook a better beer butt chicken either.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
no avatar
User

Becky M

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Becky M » Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:40 am

Steve P wrote:Lois,

That is the perfect piece of machinery to execute the top secret recipe. :wink: .

i believe you might be teasing me............... you dont want me to go all valley on ya now?!?!
User

Lois Mauk

{ RANK }

Foodie

Jeffersonville, Indiana

by Lois Mauk » Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:57 am

Thanks, Steve. I like it because it's so versatile. I can cook a lot things on it because it's got such a large cooking space (meats, veg, etc.) or I can just fire up half of it to quickly grill something. When I'm smoking like today, I've got the coals and wood chips on one side and the meat on the other. It usually runs about 100 degrees difference between the two sides (two separate thermometers on the hood), lots of ways to adjust the air flow to control the smoke and temp. Might be better rigs out there, but I'm very happy with this one.

Lois

(Your secret's still safe with me.)
User

Lois Mauk

{ RANK }

Foodie

Jeffersonville, Indiana

by Lois Mauk » Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:47 pm

Well, before we both collapse into a comatose state from pulled pork overload, I gotta say I was very pleased with the results of today's efforts.

Turn one 5# Boston Butt into about 3.5 pounds of really tasty smoked Andouille sausage links. Delish!

Smoked the other 5# Butt for 7 or 8 hours with pecan wood chips and charcoal (smoking of the sausages overlapped this process). Awesome! Juicy! Tender! Delicious! With a touch of heat but not too much.

Really pleased with the suggestions found at:
http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/pork ... _pork.html
as well as "Meathead's Memphis Dust Rub Recipe" from:
http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/rubs ... _dust.html

Good Eats!!!