Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

Milk for Cheesemaking

no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:56 pm

Jayson,

Sorry for the delay in responding: For some reason your posting didn't send an update to my e-mail so I just read it.

The John Deere reference really made me laugh (thanks!) If someone has the cap and wants to volunteer to take the picture, I'll gladly have it taken when I'm doing the next batch.

So here's the update: I made my second batch two weeks ago with the milk from Rainbow Blossom Indiana and it was fabulous! (about twice the yield of my first batch). Just wish there was an easier way for me to get the milka; I 'd make it every week!

Re: the burrata. Will you share a taste when you get it it (or am I too late?) in exchange for a taste of my home-made mozzarella. I'd love to get your opinion and give me another i9deal to shoot for.

Deb
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

the great mozzarella adventure continues...

by Deb Hall » Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:35 pm

Folks,
I'm going to try another batch of Mozzarella tonight : this time from the Fresh Mozzarella Curd that I got at Lotsa Pasta. It'll be interesting to compare how it tastes compared to making it from scratch /raw milk: I'll let you know how it comes out.

FYI: can't buy raw milk in Tennessee either. My mother-in-law tried calling a neighbor who's a dairy farmer while we were there, and they wouldn't even let me buy a couple a gallons for "my cat"- scared of losing their license.

Deb
no avatar
User

Heather Y

{ RANK }

In Time Out Room

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Prospect

Mozz

by Heather Y » Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:12 pm

Hey Deb,

If you ever decide to change the way you would make mozz,

here is a website for mozz curd

Let me know if you need further instructions, I would be happy to help.

http://goldenagecheese.com/_wsn/page4.htm
no avatar
User

Heather Y

{ RANK }

In Time Out Room

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Prospect

by Heather Y » Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:26 pm

No Duhhhh,
It probably pays for me to read through things before posting.

Deb,
You got it! I was not aware that Lotsa Pasta is selling curd.

The website above also gives you step by step instruction though, in case you need some.

When I made mozz at CIA we used curd, and not raw milk.
so I wanted to toss it to you.

There is nothing like making your own cheese when you can!

Enjoy.
Get some tomatoes and basil from the Farmers market
Some Blue dog Bread, and you are good to go!

I think I will do the same for dinner tonight!
Thanks
no avatar
User

Lisa Stephenson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:06 pm

Jeffersonville, IN

the Good AND the Bad!

by Lisa Stephenson » Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:29 pm

I was able to purchase the unpasteurized milk at the Indiana (Charlestown Rd) Rainbow blossom on Saturday. That was the good part!

The Bad: my mozzarella flopped! Not because of the milk, but because I was rushing. The cheese turned into ricotta like stuff. I apparently didn't get all the whey out.

BUT.... I used it anyway. Used half it of as mascarpone-like cheese and added it to a Tiramisu recipe. Then, I used the other half in a cheese and rice dish. Not too bad! :idea:
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:56 pm

Lisa,

I found my curds to be very loose with the raw milk and yes, I had to wait a little while longer (probably another 10 minutes) for them to form completely , but I definitely had the ability to stretch them. What instructions did you use? The one's from the Cheese Queen (same as what's in Animal, Vegetable, Miracle) - or did you have another source?

Deb
no avatar
User

Lisa Stephenson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:06 pm

Jeffersonville, IN

by Lisa Stephenson » Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:21 pm

I use the Cheese Queen book and normally have no problems. But this time, I'm pretty sure that I started stretching before I squeezed out all the whey. Do you heat the raw milk to minimally pasteurize it and then do a quick cool down ?
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:03 pm

Yes, I minimally pastuerized it and then put it in my outside refrig to cool down quick for 4-6 hours. Then Reheat to temp, before following directions to make curds and then following microwave directions. I remove a lot of whey by hand (squeezing curds with a slotted spoon ) before starting the microwave process.

Deb
no avatar
User

Anthony U

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:36 am

Louisville - East

Re: Milk for Cheesemaking

by Anthony U » Sun May 25, 2008 7:23 am

Deb - Can you give us a comparison of your cheese making with the following:

1) Rebekah Grace milk
2) Raw Milk from Rainbow Blossom
3) Cheese curd from Lots o Pasta
4) Any other milks you have tried?

Thanks!

PS - Is there a standard day of the week that I can go to Lots o Pasta to buy the curd in a smaller amount (like when the cheese maker is there? I don't want the 25lb package!
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Mon May 26, 2008 5:40 pm

Anthony,

This was my experience (others may have had different results). Note that I minimally pasteurize my milk before starting with the cheese making.

1) Rebekah Grace milk- I found the cheese to be excellent but very low yield - 2 small balls from a gallon of milk. I'm assuming that their low heat pasteurizing kills more than you want. So then I tried...
2) Raw Milk from Rainbow Blossom-It yielded more than double with the same amount of milk. Also excellent cheese- much richer and softer than store bought fresh mozzarella.
3) Cheese curd from Lots o Pasta- I got too cocky and (probably ) overworked the curd. Great yield, but the cheese was rubbery- okay for pizza but not what I want in a Caprese salad. Others (Heather Y. have had great results so I assume it was my error. They grudgingly sold me a small amount last summer but it was my understanding that you'd only be able to get it in large quanities after that ( an open package spoils before they are able to sell it all), hence I haven't tried it again . I'd call to ask when/if you could buy a smaller quantity.
4) Any other milks you have tried? The raw milk my mother-in-law brought straight from the farm in Tennessee was a totally different animal. :wink: I assume the fat content was super- high (or these were VERY happy cows). The cheese was even softer than the RB raw milk and pale yellow. Very rich and yummy, but not what I think of when I think of fresh mozzarella.

Hope this helps- Let me know how yours comes out.
Deby
no avatar
User

Anthony U

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:36 am

Louisville - East

by Anthony U » Tue May 27, 2008 8:51 am

Deb -

When you say minimally pasteurized, does that mean that you heat the milk to about 165 degrees for a few seconds and then cool it down in the fridge? Thanks.

Anthony
no avatar
User

Michele Cull

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:44 am

Original Highlands

by Michele Cull » Tue May 27, 2008 2:38 pm

I have a source for milk over in Southern IN. PM me if you want details.

MissChele
MissChele
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Tue May 27, 2008 6:52 pm

Anthony,
When you say minimally pasteurized, does that mean that you heat the milk to about 165 degrees for a few seconds and then cool it down in the fridge?

Yes, that's what I mean. To be specific, I cool my milk all the way down to around 60 degrees or lower , and then re-heat when I'm ready to start the cheese.

Another "learning" I neglected to mention: try using a non -reactive (not aluminum) pot along with the distilled water. I had read that instruction and assumed it was a flavor-related thing creating an off-flavor.(silly me). I had much better results when I switched away from my Calphalon stock pot, to a non-aluminum (stainless steel). You can get one cheap ($20) at Farm Supply-type stores- (I also saw them at the Westport General Store :wink: ). I would think that non-stick would also give you protection against the milk reacting to the aluminum.

deb
Previous