Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

Milk for Cheesemaking

no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

Milk for Cheesemaking

by Deb Hall » Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:23 pm

Folks,

Does anyone out there know of a source for non-pasteurized or raw milk ? I decided to try making Fresh Mozzarella (we go thru massive amounts in our house) after reading Animal, Vegetable, Miracle . I ordered the supplies and tracked down what I thought would be the right milk: Rebecca Grace’s pasteurized (not ULTRA Pasteurized). But I guess their (lesser) pasteurization still kills too many cultures: there were very few curds compared to the pictures I've seen on-line. The cheese is GREAT, but I only got two regular size balls out of 1 Gallon of very expensive milk.

Any ideas? By the way, if I can get this milk thing down, it really will be worth it; the cost of supplies is minimal, it was fun to do with my daughter (13), no special equipment needed and it really only took 30 minutes to make (REALLY!)

Deb
no avatar
User

linda stephens

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:42 am

Clarksville

by linda stephens » Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:43 pm

Deb,Did you get your supplies from the cheese queen as recommended
in the book? If I could get away from work long enough,I would seriouly
consider making a trip to the east coast just to take her class.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Milk for Cheesemaking

by Robin Garr » Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:59 pm

Deb Hall wrote:Does anyone out there know of a source for non-pasteurized or raw milk ? I decided to try making Fresh Mozzarella (we go thru massive amounts in our house) after reading Animal, Vegetable, Miracle . I ordered the supplies and tracked down what I thought would be the right milk: Rebecca Grace’s pasteurized (not ULTRA Pasteurized). But I guess their (lesser) pasteurization still kills too many cultures: there were very few curds compared to the pictures I've seen on-line. The cheese is GREAT, but I only got two regular size balls out of 1 Gallon of very expensive milk.

Deb, Rainbow Blossom has it, marked "For Pet Use Only" (wink wink nudge nudge). You might also ask John or Vicki Hale at Lotsa Pasta what they use for their mozz' ... I'll bet they would tell you.
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

Cheese Queen

by Deb Hall » Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:50 pm

Linda,

Yes, I did order it from Ricki "the cheese queen". The class sounds great, but not an option for me. Making it was a fun (quick ) project

If you are interested in trying, I could be persuaded to exchange the supplies for one batch so you could try it our before ordering, for something: what would you like to offer???? :D

Deb
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

Lotsa Pasta

by Deb Hall » Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:59 pm

Robin,

:lol:
If you haven't read the book yet, that was one of their suggestions: ask for milk for "your cat" as farmers can not sell un-pasteurized milk direct to the consumer. Never thought to ask at Rainbow Blossom: ironically that's where I bought the Rebecca Grace milk.

Thanks for the suggestion on Lotsa Pasta: I'm talking to John later in the week and I'll run it by him. I didn't know they made their own Mozzarella....

Just finished a wonderful Caprese Salad with basil and yellow pear tomatoes from my garden, Red tomatoes from the La Grange farmers Market, my homemade mozzarella, and abbondanza Biologico olive oil. Major Yum!

Deb
no avatar
User

linda stephens

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:42 am

Clarksville

by linda stephens » Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:25 am

Deb, If you would be willing to come over to the sunnyside, how about a
Stratto's gift certificate??? I would love to meet you.
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

Extra Zucchini

by Deb Hall » Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:45 am

Linda,

I would love to come to Stratto's but I was thinking more like something from your garden, in keeping with the book.... :D

I'd love to arrange a meet and "exchange"- (wow, I feel a little like a drug dealer) I'll pm you.

Deb
no avatar
User

Jayson L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:26 am

DownTown

by Jayson L » Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:08 am

Deb,
Wow! - now that's dedication. See if you can find a recipe / procedure for Burrata. I would be eager to see it made with raw local cream. Fresh local Burrata, arugula from Northern Ohio and small black truffles from Burgundy......the recipe wheels are turning Deb.
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:57 am

Jayson,

I hate to make you unimpressed with me, but fresh mozzarella really is super easy and only takes 30 minutes. Not so with other cheeses...

I'm not familiar with Burrata: what kind of cheese is it? What's it similiar to? I found a recipe for Queso Fresca on-line from some state ag site and I may try it and making my own Ricotta (also very easy), but I'll have to think hard before attempting hard cheeses (per Barbara Kingsolver's book: " hard cheeses are HARD". :D

Deb
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

Burrata Cheese

by Deb Hall » Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:02 pm

Jayson,

The Burrata sounds really interesting and based on the description, should not be outrageously hard to make- if I can just find a recipe/procedure. Now you've got me intrigued...

Burrata Cheese

An Italian cheese produced from cow's milk that comes from southern Italy. Initially, this cheese was produced only from the milk of Podolian cows, but today is now produced from other varieties of cows as well. Classified as a "spun" or "pulled curd" cheese, Burrata has a soft buttery inner texture similar to ricotta, which is creamy and oozing. When made, this cheese combines fresh, heavy cream with mozzarella curds that have not been spun. The combined ingredients are placed into the center of a thin skin made from fresh mozzarella that is formed into the round shape, similar to a cloth bag or bag coin purse. Mildly sweet in flavor, Burrata is not aged and is sold immediately after being produced. Often wrapped in a leaf from the asphodel plant, most of the Burrata Cheese is produced to be eaten within several days. This cheese is often served in salads, in pasta, or as an appetizer with hard crusted breads. It can be stored for only several days before loosing its full flavor.
no avatar
User

Jayson L

{ RANK }

Foodie

DownTown

by Jayson L » Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:24 pm

Haha - you see! It's easy to get very passionate about "little things" in the culinary world. Yes, most cheese is easy to make if you're only looking for "ok" results. Mozz can be an amazing when you put some extra steps of craftsmanship into it. I'm not passionate about the process, so I wont preach - but I've been around people who are amazingly passionate about it. And eating well crafted cheese, well, could be considered a religious experience in some cultures. I'm just eager to see how our local dairy weighs up to some of the great raw cheeses I've had. I was thinking how great it might be to find some raw organic cream from Ky. for you. (you know, few antibiotics, healthier diet)
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

Source for Burrata?

by Deb Hall » Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:27 am

Jayson,

Have you found a source of Burrata in Louisville? I know it has an extremely short shelf-life so I'm not sure if anyone carries it locally. Thought you might have already done the legwork. I'd like to try some :both because it sounds delicious and so I'll know if my finished product comes out the same.

If you have a source for that Ky cream I'd love to hear it...so far my best bet seems to be the pet milk.

Thanks for getting my latest project started..(I think) :wink:

Deb
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

Pet Milk

by Deb Hall » Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:07 pm

Folks,

An update on the pet milk from Rainbow Blossom. I spoke with the manager at the St. Matthews store, and unfortunately, they are no longer (as of ~6 weeks ago) able to sell pet milk in Kentucky. The health dept threatened severe consequences if they continued selling it. Per Paula, there are folks working on getting it changed in the legislature but currently Kentucky law does not allow the sale of unpasteurized milk to the consumer, regardless of reason. (We all know how fast legislation moves... :cry: I do not know if the other Health Food stores in town have also been forced to stop selling it.

The good news is that Rainbow Blossom in Southern Indiana IS allowed to sell it and they do carry it at that store. It's located on Charlestown Road in New Albany. The milk arrives on Fridays, sells out fast, but the manager (Tracy) will be more than happy to set some aside for you if you call ahead (that also helps them judge demand).

How's this for logic: we have to drive to Indiana to purchase milk from a local Kentucky dairy because we can't buy it in Kentucky.... What's wrong with this picture:?:
Deb
no avatar
User

James Paul

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:08 am

Seymour, Texas

by James Paul » Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:02 am

I used to get it from Jimmy Fite over in Madison Co when I lived over there several years back. We'd go on Saturday night because that's when he would wash the tank and milk again.

That milk in a gallon jar would get a little over 2 inches of cream on top.
You could leave it out up to 36 hours warm.

Once in the ice box it couldn't stay out over 20 minutes before it would start to turn.......that's the real thing there.

I would say find a dairy, go up, knock a door and put your best foot forward
wearing a John Deere cap does help in these situations.

Assuming you have the time for such a venture, it would prove worthy 8)
Every days a holiday and every meals a feast !
no avatar
User

Jayson L

{ RANK }

Foodie

DownTown

by Jayson L » Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:22 pm

I just wanted to check in on the progress of the milk situation.

And although I've not discovered any new leads. I will say this.

If the forementioned plan goes into play, someone needs to get a picture posted of Deb in the John Deere hat.

Deb - I have burrata on the way. End of next week or so. I'll message you when it's here, as I assume (as last summer) it went quickly.
Next