Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

Good chili recipes?

no avatar
User

Adam Smith

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:42 pm

Good chili recipes?

by Adam Smith » Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:15 pm

We're making chili for the game this weekend and I'm planning on using Alton Brown's Pressure Cooker Chili recipe, I tried it a couple years ago and it was great. Even though I'm gonna use AB's recipe for Saturday I was thinking that I could use as many chili recipes as I could get, I LOVE chili this time of year.

If anyone has a good recipe they'd like to share please do so.
no avatar
User

Ann K

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:05 pm

Re: Good chili recipes?

by Ann K » Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:57 pm

I take LOTS of liberties with this recipe; I use ground beef along with pork, better beer, etc., but I love the bite from the tomatillos and the layers of flavor from all of the meats.

http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recip ... id=1867598
Bacon is meat candy.
no avatar
User

Lois Mauk

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:08 pm

Jeffersonville, Indiana

by Lois Mauk » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:04 pm

My recipe's not written down and there's a lot of variation from batch to batch, but my "secret" is one large, well-shaken can of tomato juice. I brown the COARSELY-GROUND beef (grind my own, when I can), add a mess of diced onion and a couple of cloves of garlic and simmer until the vegetables are translucent. Sprinkle liberally with the best chile powder you can get your hands on (not the cheap stuff). Then add the tomato juice, a can of Ro-Tel diced tomatoes and chiles (mild or hot) as well as dark red kidney beans (if you want beans in your chili). Diced green pepper too, if you like. Simmer low and slow. Add more onions, garlic and/or chili powder, to taste.

I was raised on chili cooked with macaroni in it, but I've learned to cook the macaroni separately and serve it beneath the "red stuff" with grated cheese.

My husband, on the other hand, prefers to make chili with Bloemer's chili base. I don't care for it as it's primarily soy and other fillers. And I don't like "orange" chili. It just ain't right.

Lois
Make a fast friend . . . Adopt a retired racer from Greyhound Pets of America!
http://www.GPALouisville.org
no avatar
User

John Hagan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:38 pm

SPENCER CO. Lake Wazzapamani

by John Hagan » Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:35 am

Our chili recipe changes every time we make it. The one thing that we always do is add at least three meats. Beef/course ground,Pork shoulder/course ground or small dice and heres the unique part...Italian sausage. We got the idea for Italian sausage after hearing about the competitive Chicago firehouse chili cook-offs. The house that won year after year disclosed this secret ingredient. Chorizo can also be a great addition to chili. We also use the adobo sauce from a small can of chipotle with adobo,adding only one of the chipotle.The adobo adds a real nice smokey flavor. Another thing we almost always do is add some canned whole tomatoes near the end of cooking.
The tall one wants white toast, dry, with nothin' on it.
And the short one wants four whole fried chickens, and a Coke.
no avatar
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:46 am

Brown meat of your choice with chili powder, salt, and pepper

Cook till soft in fat from meat:
onions
garlic
bell pepper
fresh various hot peppers

Add:
chili powder
cumin
cinnamon
dark chocolate
black beans
kidney beans
corn (color, sweetness, texture)
crushed tomatoes
worshtishire sauce
tobasco sauce
vegetable juice
s&p
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
no avatar
User

Brad Keeton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:04 pm

Highlands

by Brad Keeton » Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:21 pm

Adam Smith wrote:We're making chili for the game this weekend and I'm planning on using Alton Brown's Pressure Cooker Chili recipe, I tried it a couple years ago and it was great. Even though I'm gonna use AB's recipe for Saturday I was thinking that I could use as many chili recipes as I could get, I LOVE chili this time of year.

If anyone has a good recipe they'd like to share please do so.

I use AB's recipe as a base, but take some liberties. I replace the salsa with good canned whole crushed tomatoes (and the juice). I also usually add some dried smoked peppers (something other than chipotle, since the recipe has jarred chipotles), and one or two chopped jalapenos and one yellow onion.

I cook in a dutch oven rather than the pressure cooker, and at the end add in about one bar of semi-sweet Mexican chocolate - adds a nice smoothness and also thickens it a bit.

I don't use the tortilla chips.

Top with fresh cilantro, crumbled queso fresco, and lime juice just before serving.

The chili has a dark, smoky, rich flavor, with strong but back of the tongue spice. The cheese and lime juice brightens things up just enough.
"I don't eat vegans. They're too bony."
-Alton Brown