Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

Herbs and olive oil

no avatar
User

Rebecca Clark

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:57 pm

Herbs and olive oil

by Rebecca Clark » Tue May 19, 2009 3:42 pm

I'm new to the whole flavoring of olive oil with herbs and have a few questions about it all.

1. How long do you leave the herbs in the oil? (like rosemary ... does it stay in the oil the whole time?) Will they grow rancid if left for weeks?

2. How long do fresh herbs stay fresh?

3. Do you refrigerate the herbs or leave them room temp?

4. When you freeze them, do you take them off their stems or freeze them whole?

5. How much herbs should be added to a 1 pint bottle of olive oil for good flavoring?

6. What herbs mix together well, especially for flavored oil?

That's it for now. I know this may be very simplistic, but it is totally new for me and I'd rather have some expert advice before I ruin a bunch of olive oil (and herbs)!!! :)
"Save the neck for me, Clark!" - Cousin Eddie
no avatar
User

Brad Keeton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:04 pm

Highlands

Re: Herbs and olive oil

by Brad Keeton » Wed May 20, 2009 5:06 pm

Alton Brown's method looks pretty good. I haven't tried it, however.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alto ... index.html

On the show, if I remember correctly, after straining out the herbs he heated/left in overnight, he poured the strained oil into a container containing fresh herbs.
"I don't eat vegans. They're too bony."
-Alton Brown
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

by GaryF » Thu May 21, 2009 1:46 am

Remember to rinse the herbs in a very weak bleach solution to kill off things that can kill you if left in an air free enviroment like oil.
no avatar
User

Brad Keeton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:04 pm

Highlands

by Brad Keeton » Fri May 22, 2009 12:39 pm

GaryF wrote:Remember to rinse the herbs in a very weak bleach solution to kill off things that can kill you if left in an air free enviroment like oil.

Yeah, definitely good advice. The Good Eats version above doesn't mention that, but I can almost swear AB did this --soaked them for a minute or two in a tub filled with weak bleach solution, and then for a few minutes in a tub of clean water.

Of course, I assume pouring the 200 degree hot oil also helps this a bit, but it wouldn't have any effect on the herbs added after the fact during storage.
"I don't eat vegans. They're too bony."
-Alton Brown