Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.
no avatar
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Louisville

Re: Hamburgers with Breadcrumbs??

by Kim H » Fri May 08, 2009 5:08 pm

Becky M wrote:i have always added very finely chopped onions.......and my family loves them.....never thought to grate it....DUH!

I'd like to hear from those who have used this method (grating the onions [or garlic]). I have found that when too much of the juice of onion or garlic is released, it changes the general taste. Probably totally different in a cooked meat, though, I don't know, so I'm asking. My mom used to process onions in the food processor for our chili dogs (w/special sauce we got from Bridgeport, WV). I loved the dogs with the sauce, but always found the processed onions a bit 'off'. That's one of the reason I have stayed away from garlic presses and pre-minced garlic as well. I generally buy fresh, and chop the hell out of either of them if I have to, but not to a pulp (except for the occasional garlic paste). If anyone feels differently, please feel free to correct me. Those flavors stuck with me, so I haven't even considered them for years.
no avatar
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

by Kim H » Fri May 08, 2009 5:11 pm

Robin Garr wrote:In Italian cookery - or Northeastern Italian, anyway - bread and milk are used as a filler in polpette (meatballs), especially with ground veal, and it makes them incredibly light.

Here's an article I wrote a while back, inspired by the polpette at then-new Primo. Although I formed them as tiny meatballs and used them in a mushroom-cream sauce for papardelle, I've used the same recipe up to the baking stage but then fashioned the meat as patties and cooked them like burgers in a skillet to make a fair match for the Primo/Allo Spiedo Allo Burger. (Oh, Primo, why did you have to leave us? <sob!>)

http://www.wineloverspage.com/wineadvis ... 1020.phtml

Thanks so much for the input and recipe, Robin! Your article cracked me up! ("kick it up a munch," and "men don't ask directions.") I need to hit that page more often - thanks again!
no avatar
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

by Kim H » Fri May 08, 2009 5:46 pm

annemarie m wrote:kim, i never use measuring cups or measuring spoons... i do it by sight and feel... good luck, and do lets us know.

Anyway, I tried the bread crumbs in the burgers, but the jury is still out. Here's what I did: I don't measure either (was just hoping for approximations), but I added about 1/3 of a cup of bread crumbs to a bowl, about a T or so of olive oil, and an egg. I mixed them together, and let that sit for about 15 mins, then mixed in the ground chuck (about 1 1/3 lb). I let that mixture sit for about 20 mins, then made large patties, sprinkled with seasoning, and put them in the fridge to set for a bit. Pulled them out to come back to room temp, and put them on the hot grill (oiled the grate).

But here's why we haven't concluded one way or another about this method. First, I am working with a new, table-top grill until I can get my 'real' grill grates conditioned (rust, dang it. my fault). So it was a bit challenging for me to grill on a non-adjustable heat element (my big grill has charcoal trays that I can move up and down to adjust the heat). I was also using different charcoal than I usually use cuz they were out that day, so we bought something that 'said' it had mesquite wood in it. I don't know if that stuff was popping sparks/ash or not, but it wasn't what I was used to. Anyway, I wanted a good char on the outside, medium-rare to med on the inside. I think because of the bread crumbs, etc., or maybe working with a different grill, or maybe out of practice, I ended up with them more done than I anticipated on the first side. After I flipped them, I got more of the effect that I wanted on the second side.

Overall, the texture was good, and the burgers were moist and flavorful. Neither of us would have guessed that there were bread crumbs in them, had we not known. There was a nice char that I don't usually get, for the most part (not just my over-cook), and I suspect many diners/restaurants use this trick. However, there was a grit involved, which wasn't very appetizing. I noticed it more than my husband did, but I wasn't pleased. I'm not sure if it was my over-grill on the first side, the bread crumbs, the charcoal, the grill.... Too many variables to compare. So I'm going to try them side-by-side, one with the bread crumbs, and one without. I'm also going to let the meat sit w/the bread crumbs overnight, cuz it probably didn't have enough time to incorporate for the grilling method. If it ever quits raining again, I'll let you know how it goes.

Ok, I feel like I just wrote up a food innovation test report, but you asked. ; oP
Previous