Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.
no avatar
User

Adam Smith

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:42 pm

Boneless chicken breast ideas?

by Adam Smith » Mon May 04, 2009 2:46 pm

So my mother in her infinite wisdom decided to buy a lot of boneless skinless chicken breasts from Sam's and froze them. Needless to say she and my father are now sick of chicken so she pawned a bunch of them off on me and I'm running out of ideas. I've grilled and broiled and pan fried using all kinds of spices and combinations(my oven sucks so roasting I think is out,) so if anyone has some quick recipes or ideas it would be much appreciated. Keep in mind my oven heats very unevenly and I'm working with mainly dry spices and a few jarred sauces.

Thanks in advance.
no avatar
User

Brad Keeton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:04 pm

Highlands

Re: Boneless chicken breast ideas?

by Brad Keeton » Mon May 04, 2009 3:15 pm

I don't have any great recipe suggestions, but to fix the uneven oven heating issue, you might try putting a pizza stone or even two bricks (untreated with anything) on the bottom rack of your oven. It will heat very slowly, but will heat more evenly and the stone/bricks will keep the temp at a more even level (and help retain heat when you open the door after pre-heating), with much less fluctuation.

Also, a good oven thermometer will let you keep track of where your temp is.
"I don't eat vegans. They're too bony."
-Alton Brown
no avatar
User

Adam Smith

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Adam Smith » Mon May 04, 2009 3:33 pm

Thanks for the advice, I put a pizza stone in there a couple weeks ago and it seemed to help a little; I did cook a pizza on it still didn't cook properly(cheese done, crust not) so maybe I need to preheat it for a longer time, like 30 minutes. I think the main problem is my apartments have ancient ovens. You're right about the oven thermometer, I've been meaning to get one.
no avatar
User

Bonnie E.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:50 pm

by Bonnie E. » Mon May 04, 2009 3:41 pm

I'm going to get killed for this but anyway....... If you have a crockpot put the breasts in, cover them in your favorite salsa. Lo and slow 6-8 hours or 4 hours on high. Shred the chicken for use in burritos, tacos, enchiladas whatever.

There's always mushroom soup and Uncle Ben's wild rice............... :oops:
no avatar
User

John Hagan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:38 pm

SPENCER CO. Lake Wazzapamani

by John Hagan » Mon May 04, 2009 4:16 pm

Adam Smith wrote: Keep in mind my oven heats very unevenly and I'm working with mainly dry spices and a few jarred sauces.

Simple idea here...get a can of Lotsa Pasta Marinara pour it over the chicken (browned or not) in a small baking dish with a bit of dried basil and parsley.Throw it in the oven. When they are almost done top with some fresh mozzarella and turn on the broiler to melt/brown the cheese.
The tall one wants white toast, dry, with nothin' on it.
And the short one wants four whole fried chickens, and a Coke.
no avatar
User

jpdurbin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:23 pm

Louisville, KY

by jpdurbin » Mon May 04, 2009 5:53 pm

To add to John's recipe, cut and place a few cocktail onions in the sauce.
Johnathan P. Durbin
http://jpdurbin.net/
A Member of http://www.ThePCGurus.com
no avatar
User

Tammy U

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:53 pm

by Tammy U » Mon May 04, 2009 6:46 pm

If you're willing to cut into bite sized pieces, here's an idea - you need to buy a package of Vigo's yellow rice (and it has to be Vigo - Lotsa Pasta, Fresh Market and ValuMart off of Hurstbourne have it and Kroger's is spotty). Depending upon the package amount for olive oil, I brown bite size pieces of chicken, minced garlic and diced onion & celery in the oil. Then add the required water amount and package(s) of rice. Bring this to a boil for a couple minutes, then cover, lower heat to a simmer and cook according to package directions (25 minutes, I think). It's a quick and tasty Chicken and Yellow Rice. You could probably scatter frozen peas on the top, too, for a completer meal. But it must be VIGO - I've tried other packaged yellow rice and it's just not the same....
I know my chicken
You got to know your chicken
no avatar
User

Gayle DeM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:42 pm

by Gayle DeM » Mon May 04, 2009 7:48 pm

I have two chicken breasts recipes that I frequently use that call for cutting the chicken breasts into chunks or strips. I get so tired of chicken breast halves. Yes, they are from Rachel Ray, but her recipes are easier to produce than Alton's, they are not loaded with butter and cream like Paula's, and they are minus all the preservative laden products that are in Sandra's recipes. I served the first one at the "Welcome to Kentucky" party that I gave for Phillip and Donna and it was well received. In fact, it is currently my favorite "company for dinner" recipe. The second recipe is a big hit with my grandchildren; they love making the lettuce packages.

Montalcino Chicken with Figs and Buttered Gnocchi with Pancetta and Nutmeg (Yes, it calls for both chicken breasts and thighs, but I had made it with only chicken breasts, too. When I served it at the party, I served it "naked" without the gnocchi, because there were so many other dishes, but when I serve it for a company dinner I always make the gnocchi. I have found the most tender, moist and plump dried figs to be in the bulk food section of Fresh Market.)
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael-ray/montalcino-chicken-with-figs-and-buttered-gnocchi-with-pancetta-and-nutmeg-recipe/index.html

Barbecued Chinese Chicken Lettuce Wraps
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael-ray/barbecued-chinese-chicken-lettuce-wraps-recipe/index.html
"I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian" -Erma Bombeck
no avatar
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Louisville

by Kim H » Mon May 04, 2009 8:39 pm

The pizza stone idea is one I would've recommended - but I'm cheating, cuz I got it from Alton Brown. When using the stone, you definitely have to allow more preheat time to ensure the stone gets hot enough to temper the oven, and it takes longer to heat. Anyway...

I have a similar scenario of what to do with boneless chicken breasts, and thought I would try this recipe (this is straight from my 'files' - pasted as is):
_________________________________________________________________________________________
CHICKEN SPINACH BAKE
Ingredients:
• 8 to 12 ounces fresh chopped or baby spinach, cleaned
• salt and pepper
• 1/4 cup chicken broth
• 4 chicken breast halves, boneless, pounded slightly to even thickness
• Creole or Cajun seasoning blend or other blend
• salt and pepper
• 1 large tomato, diced
• 4 green onions, with green, sliced
Preparation:
Heat oven to 350°. Lightly grease a 9x13-inch baking dish or spray with cooking spray. Put spinach in the baking dish, sprinkle with salt and pepper. Add chicken broth. Sprinkle chicken with seasoning blend, salt, and pepper; arrange over the spinach. Sprinkle with the diced tomato and green onion. Cover the baking dish with foil. Bake for 25 minutes. Uncover and bake for 10 to 15 minutes longer, or until chicken is cooked through.
Serves 4.

My thoughts:

Add feta and pine nuts, maybe some fresh oregano…
________________________________________________________________________________________

An alternative I was considering for us was to grill the chicken, roast whole tomatoes on the grill (like Shiraz - yum!), and serve over spinach sauteed lightly in olive oil with fresh garlic. Serve with roasted tomatoes. That would be great alone, but you could also add feta, toasted pine nuts, maybe some grilled onions, oregano, and/or parsley. And maybe drizzle w/lemon juice. Just a thought.
no avatar
User

Adam Smith

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Adam Smith » Tue May 05, 2009 9:03 am

Thanks for all the ideas guys, I'll be trying some of them this week/weekend and getting back to ya with results.
no avatar
User

Ann K

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:05 pm

by Ann K » Tue May 05, 2009 9:16 am

Here's one of my favorites:

Mix together 1 cup sweet chili sauce, 2-3 cloves minced garlic, and a good-sized chunk of minced ginger (a Microplane grater makes quick work of both the garlic and ginger).

Marinate strips or chunks of chicken in sauce mixture for several hours, then grill or broil. Serve with extra sweet chili sauce. I usually serve with rice and stir-fried vegetables.
Bacon is meat candy.
no avatar
User

Adam Smith

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Adam Smith » Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:38 pm

Ann K wrote:Here's one of my favorites:

Mix together 1 cup sweet chili sauce, 2-3 cloves minced garlic, and a good-sized chunk of minced ginger (a Microplane grater makes quick work of both the garlic and ginger).

Marinate strips or chunks of chicken in sauce mixture for several hours, then grill or broil. Serve with extra sweet chili sauce. I usually serve with rice and stir-fried vegetables.

I used the last of my chicken yesterday using this recipe, good stuff. I even "grilled" it on the george forman and it turned out great. Made sticky rice along with it.
no avatar
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

by Kim H » Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:19 pm

That's almost serendipitous - I was just re-reading this thread this morning, before you posted! I'll have to try that recipe - sounds great. Glad you were able to use up the rest of your chicken. I bought it on purpose cuz it was on sale, and then just stuck them in the freezer. Seem so bland. But I'm thinking about marinating some of the chicken breasts in some Mexican herbs and chili spices we got at some Latin-American stores, grill them, and top them w/salsa verde, grilled peppers and onions, chihuahua cheese, and fried tortilla strips. Maybe slice some up of the chicken up and put in a bag for salads, etc. Not that original, but I think we'll like it.
no avatar
User

Heather Y

{ RANK }

In Time Out Room

Prospect

by Heather Y » Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:05 pm

Chicken Parmigiana, Chicken rundown, chicken piccata, chicken marsala.
All these recipes can be googled!

enjoy!
no avatar
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

by Kim H » Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:19 pm

Heather Y wrote:Chicken Parmigiana, Chicken rundown, chicken piccata, chicken marsala.
All these recipes can be googled!

enjoy!

Oh yeah, Chicken Marsala was another thing I was thinking of - thanks, cuz I forgot about it! (even bought Marsala wine for it!) I've never heard of Chicken Rundown. I'll google it. The name intrigues me.
Next