Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

Traveling Tuesday Cocktail Tasting

no avatar
User

Stephen D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:41 am

Lyndon, Ky

Traveling Tuesday Cocktail Tasting

by Stephen D » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:13 pm

Recently, I had the pleasure of designing a cocktail tasting for Ashley Dunn's dining club. Having been assured they were foodies, I went to great pains to not only throw the book at them, but to challenge myself functionally. I must also admit that I wanted to show the potential of this kind of tasting vs. a traditional wine tasting. I really would like to do many more of these kinds of events in the future. So here are my notes, for your pleasure...

Of special note: Pay attention to the progression of the drinks and tell me how you think I did gastronomically. With the variance of flavors and alcohol content, I wanted to be very careful I didn't upset any stomachs. Yet I did want a roller coaster ride of flavors and techniques.

Cherry Chap Stick: Remember back in December when I wrote about this idea? Bourbon, bitter syrup (honeytree, balm of Gilead, wormwood,) cherry emulsion. Served up. This was v1.0. and was good, but the emulsion failed slightly. Next time, infused oil.

Margarita meet Capriahnna: Tequila, yuzu, mint syrup, Grand Marnier vapor, toasted salt. Served frozen, in a snifter. Knocked it out of the park and will probably find its way onto the spring menu, in some form.

Ma La Bloody Mary: Sichuan Peppercorn infused vodka, bloody mary mix, ginko nut stuffed olives marinated in Vietnamese 4 flavor sauce. The olives were passed, butler-style with the explanation that they were one of the challenging flavor profiles of the night.

Bourbon Bread Pudding: Bourbon infused with apple, clove, golden raisin and toasted pecans. Served neat in a frappe'd glass to take just a little heat off. The interesting thing about this combination is that it smells and tastes of banana. This is also the last of the winter flavors. Some constructive criticism was given regarding the lack of garnish on this drink, but otherwise it was well received.

Basil Bellini: Stoli Peach, lychee syrup, sour mix, basil. Placed in a soda dispenser and injected with CO2. The glasses were preset on the tables and then filled tableside. This was the crowd favorite of the night. It is also currently on the menu.

Ginned Peas: Gin, limoncello, peas, goat cheese whipped cream, Murray River Salt Garnish. Frozen. Another foray into savory cocktails, this one failed badly, as I had thought it may. It would have been more successful with the addition of a little cream. Then served in a bowl with a spoon and called chilled pea soup. Oh well, if you don't fail once in a while, then you aren't trying hard enough, I think. ;)

Mint Tea Julep: Bourbon, orange blossom rooibus tea syrup, mint, soda. I got the tea from Zen Teahouse and was very impressed with the depth and character of the final result. So were the tasters!

Fruit Loops: Toasted orange simple syrup, heavy cream, Grand Marnier vapor. Slightly frappe'd and served in a snifter. Tastes exactly like the milk left in the bowl after a bowl of fruit loops! One kink here... I was told the vapor wound up smelling like glue. Ooops! I had taken it for granted that element would go off. It was the only thing I hadn't tried. I learned a good lesson there.

For me, this was a blast! As foodies, we all love to entertain. Entertaining people that share the passion for food and beverage always makes for a deeper, more fulfilling experience.

/cheers!
no avatar
User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:32 pm

Re: Traveling Tuesday Cocktail Tasting

by carla griffin » Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:15 am

Explain please, Grand Marnier "vapor".
Carla
There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't, and that's a wife who can't cook and will. ~Robert Frost
no avatar
User

Jo Self

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:54 pm

St. Matthews

by Jo Self » Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:43 pm

Having had the pleasure of tasting most of the cocktails that evening (we missed out on the gin and peas) I especially enjoyed the julep cocktail. Everything was a delight - and seeing as I was the one that pointed out the 'glue' reference, I have to defend it by saying that it wasn't a bad thing - really. I didn't get the orange and I often use familiar, if unusual, terms for what I smell during tastings of any kind. And when you think about it, there're a number of kids who ate Elmer's glue as a kid... it has kind of a sweet smell to it. :)
Food is our common ground, a universal experience. - James Beard
Event Savant
Bon Vivant Savant Dining & Events Club
http://bonvivantsavant.com
http://www.bvsevents.com
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

by GaryF » Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:51 am

I happened to drop by the bar for a quick pre-theater bite that night and Stephen showed me the list for the tasting. I wanted to sit and watch the process from start to finish- I was so impressed by his out of the box imagination and his infectious enthusiasm. You really are amazing, my friend, I hope Z's knows they have a winner in their employ.
no avatar
User

Jo Self

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:54 pm

St. Matthews

by Jo Self » Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:16 am

I completely forgot about that... Gary, I should say thanks for warming the seat up for me. Apparently I took over your spot at the bar, just missing you!
Food is our common ground, a universal experience. - James Beard
Event Savant
Bon Vivant Savant Dining & Events Club
http://bonvivantsavant.com
http://www.bvsevents.com
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am