Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

Baba Ganoush

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Baba Ganoush

by Robin Garr » Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:59 am

In the "Favorite gyros" discussion on the main forum, the issue of <i>baba ganoush</i> (also spelled <i>baba ganouj</i>) and its crack-like addictiveness came up.

Here's a recipe that I worked out a few years ago based on an incredible version at a wonderful Lebanese restaurant in NYC. I'd put it up against anybody's in a throwdown. Grilling the eggplants over coals and wood makes the deal, but you can cook them in the oven if you don't want to grill and it will still be good.

<b>Wine Advisor FoodLetter: Baba Ganoush</b>
no avatar
User

Adrian Baldwin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:29 pm

Louisville, KY

by Adrian Baldwin » Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:50 am

Good look, thanks.
no avatar
User

Heather Y

{ RANK }

In Time Out Room

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Prospect

Baba ghanoosh

by Heather Y » Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:29 pm

If you do the eggplant in the oven.... be sure you pierce them several times with a fork!!!! If not it will make a stringy mess in your oven when they explode!

I had chef mike make some for a small Middle Eastern Event I had at the cafe..... he yawned... it is somewhat a variation on a theme.
But yummy!
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Baba ghanoosh

by Robin Garr » Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:33 pm

Heather Y wrote:If you do the eggplant in the oven.... be sure you pierce them several times with a fork!!!! If not it will make a stringy mess in your oven when they explode!

Good advice, Heather, but if you follow this exact recipe, note that you cut little slits all over the eggplant to stick in slivers of garlic. This has a similar effect. Also, I've occasionally just thrown eggplants on the grill without bothering to fork 'em, and in my experience they don't explode - they crack before that, and the juices come out the cracks. But still, I'm with you, why risk an oven-cleaning mess?
no avatar
User

Heather Y

{ RANK }

In Time Out Room

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Prospect

eggplant on the grill

by Heather Y » Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:15 pm

The grill is the absolute way to go....

there are times when I am in Israel, I go to a little "mom and pop" (literally) restaurant that serves traditional Middle Eastern food, and if you sneak around the outside to the back, you see all the men gathered around the outdoor grill chatting, drinking coffee and tending to my eggplant! Then it is a quick trip to the kitchen, and a little of this and a little of that, and voila!, Baruch has produced the most flavorful (sans the cigarette ash) Baba ghanoosh you could ever eat. That is where I learned to make my baba ghanoosh, along with other Middle eastern delights!

B'tai Avon!
no avatar
User

Rebecca Clark

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:57 pm

Re: Baba Ganoush

by Rebecca Clark » Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:56 pm

I attempted Robin's recipe tonight with roaring success! I added a bit more tahini and cumin than called for and threw in some roasted red pepper for good measure; otherwise, followed the recipe to a "T". (a unique concept for me!) Very, very good. I want to experiment with it a bit more before springing it on my friends.

A contented Rebecca
"Save the neck for me, Clark!" - Cousin Eddie
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

by GaryF » Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:19 am

How odd that this comes up again- I, too, made it Mon evening. Since I do not have a grill I added toasted sesame oil to the mix for a little smokiness. Pretty good smeared on just about anything.
no avatar
User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:32 pm

by carla griffin » Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:32 am

How long will an open jar of tahini last in the fridge?
Carla
There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't, and that's a wife who can't cook and will. ~Robert Frost
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

by GaryF » Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:08 am

A long time- just like peanut butter. The oil and solids may separate and the solids might clump, but you can re-emulsify them with gentle heat and stirring.
no avatar
User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:32 pm

by carla griffin » Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:55 pm

Good to know. Thanks!
Carla
There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't, and that's a wife who can't cook and will. ~Robert Frost