Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

Purnell's Old Folks.

no avatar
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

Purnell's Old Folks.

by Doogy R » Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:18 pm

Wow, I just got home with some Purnell's Old Folks chorizo. I am not sure how authentic it is, but it sure tastes gooooooood. I used it to make dirty rice and it worked out splendidly. I picked up a pound at Kroger for $2.99. Has anyone else tried it. I try to support our local vendors and they're right next door in Shelby county. Yummo.

chorizo.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
no avatar
User

Mark Head

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:44 pm

Prospect

Re: Purnell's Old Folks.

by Mark Head » Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:00 am

I'm sure Al Purnell appreciates your support.
no avatar
User

John Hagan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:38 pm

SPENCER CO. Lake Wazzapamani

by John Hagan » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:15 am

I know a few people out here in the sticks that work over there. I know they treat their employees very well. That said, why would you ever buy chorizo from them when there are so many places around that make the real deal? Oh yeah youre a Rachel Ray fan. :roll:
The tall one wants white toast, dry, with nothin' on it.
And the short one wants four whole fried chickens, and a Coke.
no avatar
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Doogy R » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:39 am

John Hagan wrote:I know a few people out here in the sticks that work over there. I know they treat their employees very well. That said, why would you ever buy chorizo from them when there are so many places around that make the real deal? Oh yeah youre a Rachel Ray fan. :roll:

Awwwwwwww man, what a low blow. Tell me where they make the "real" deal and I will go purchase some of theirs as well. You know dude, I just happened to be in Kroger, saw it and picked it up. At least Purnell's is a Kentucky Proud vendor. And yes, I do love Rachael and will not apologize for it.
no avatar
User

John Hagan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:38 pm

SPENCER CO. Lake Wazzapamani

by John Hagan » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:42 am

Doogy R wrote:
John Hagan wrote:I know a few people out here in the sticks that work over there. I know they treat their employees very well. That said, why would you ever buy chorizo from them when there are so many places around that make the real deal? Oh yeah youre a Rachel Ray fan. :roll:

Awwwwwwww man, what a low blow. Tell me where they make the "real" deal and I will go purchase some of theirs as well. You know dude, I just happened to be in Kroger, saw it and picked it up. At least Purnell's is a Kentucky Proud vendor. And yes, I do love Rachael and will not apologize for it.

Hey, I was just giving you hard time. No harm intended. :lol:
I have picked up good chorizo at many latin grocery stores around town. Just take a trip down preston and stop in a few.
As for Rachael...well lets just not go there.
The tall one wants white toast, dry, with nothin' on it.
And the short one wants four whole fried chickens, and a Coke.
no avatar
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Doogy R » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:47 am

John Hagan wrote:
Doogy R wrote:

Hey, I was just giving you hard time. No harm intended. :lol:
I have picked up good chorizo at many latin grocery stores around town. Just take a trip down preston and stop in a few.
As for Rachael...well lets just not go there.

Dude, it's all cool in the Ville. I was just giving it right back at ya. I'll get some chorizo at a Hispanic place somewhere and I would go anywhere with Rachael. Teehee.
no avatar
User

Mark Head

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:44 pm

Prospect

by Mark Head » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:04 am

Rachel is a plague on society.

http://www.rrsux.com/
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:56 pm

Doogy,

There is a great Mexican/Latin Grocery near you that makes their own sausages, including chorizo. I can't find the name at the moment, but they are on 1746 , near Iceland/the UPS Commercial Park. They are on the right side in the same shopping center as El Tarasco ( right before Champs).

Great ingredient selection, and their own on-site butcher and sausage maker. And a Tacqueria next door ( same owner). What more could you ask for?

Deb
no avatar
User

Michelle R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 30, 2007 1:28 pm

Hikes Point

by Michelle R. » Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:59 pm

Why, yes. Yes, she is.
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly!"
no avatar
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Doogy R » Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:02 pm

Deb Hall wrote:Doogy,

There is a great Mexican/Latin Grocery near you that makes their own sausages, including chorizo. I can't find the name at the moment, but they are on 1746 , near Iceland/the UPS Commercial Park. They are on the right side in the same shopping center as El Tarasco ( right before Champs).

Great ingredient selection, and their own on-site butcher and sausage maker. And a Tacqueria next door ( same owner). What more could you ask for?

Deb

I've been in that center and seen the grocery but have never been in. Thanks for the tip. I plan on going to Juan's taco trailer tomorrow and think a visit to this grocery is in the works as well.
no avatar
User

David O.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:52 am

Louisville

by David O. » Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:10 pm

Purnell's Chorizo is the real deal and can easily stand up to anything available locally that I've tried.
And it even has Rachael's picture right on the package. :)
David O.
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:11 pm

I think they stock every chile known to man. They also have great prices on their meat: last time I was there they had a special of 3 lbs of steak ( your choice of cuts) for only $9.99.

Deb
no avatar
User

Ann K

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:05 pm

by Ann K » Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:16 pm

Mark Head wrote:Rachel is a plague on society.

http://www.rrsux.com/

I have to filter RR intensely, but occasionally I pick up a good tidbit. My kids love her.
Bacon is meat candy.
no avatar
User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:32 pm

38 degrees 25' 25' N 85 degrees 36' 2' W

by Ed Vermillion » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:39 pm

The Prospect Los Aztecas sells good ground chorizo by the pound. I've asked for it at the counter many times. Haven't had any in awhile but is worth asking for.
no avatar
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Doogy R » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:05 pm

Ed Vermillion wrote:The Prospect Los Aztecas sells good ground chorizo by the pound. I've asked for it at the counter many times. Haven't had any in awhile but is worth asking for.

Thanks Ed, that means I am just about equidistant from that one and the one Deb mentioned. Lucky me.
Next