Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

Dislikes

no avatar
User

Jesse Hendrix-Inman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri May 16, 2008 11:22 am

Schnitzelburg

Re: Dislikes

by Jesse Hendrix-Inman » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:25 pm

Ethan Ray wrote:
Jesse Hendrix-Inman wrote:My only real dislike is sundried tomatoes, which is funny because I love tomatoes in every other form. I just feel like they ruin a dish with their overly salty flavor.

Overly salty?

They taste sweet to me... (at least when i've made them), dehydration concentrates sugars...

Huh, I don't know. maybe the ones I have had were salted before drying? They were a gift from a friend who brought them back form Italy. I don't like raisins either, so maybe I have a weird dried food issue in general. Also, Marsha, I definitely don't know if they were reconstituted correctly, so maybe that was part of the problem.
no avatar
User

Ethan Ray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:30 pm

by Ethan Ray » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:45 pm

Jesse Hendrix-Inman wrote:
Huh, I don't know. maybe the ones I have had were salted before drying? They were a gift from a friend who brought them back form Italy. I don't like raisins either, so maybe I have a weird dried food issue in general. Also, Marsha, I definitely don't know if they were reconstituted correctly, so maybe that was part of the problem.

I hate raisins as well.
I really only tend to like tart fruits when they're dried.
Cranberries and currants in particular.

Dried apple feels like you're chewing on leather.
Ethan Ray

I put vegetables in your desserts, white chocolate with your fish and other nonsense stuff that you think shouldn't make sense, but coax the nonsense into something that makes complete sense in your mouth. Just open your mind, mouth and eat.
no avatar
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:52 pm

mmm . . .I love dried fruits of all kinds. Especially covered in chocolate.

:oops: I have a theme to my food.
no avatar
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

by Doogy R » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:12 pm

ALL you foodie types are absolutely KILLING me. My fault. I had some sort of idea that all foodies ate all foods. WOW, that conception has now been blown out of the water. More for me.
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
no avatar
User

Mark Head

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:44 pm

Prospect

by Mark Head » Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:19 am

I dislike extremely dense (flour-less) chocolate cake. It's on a ton of menus and way over-rated IMO.

I don't like black beans.

That's about it.
no avatar
User

Nancy Nelson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:26 am

by Nancy Nelson » Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:47 am

Regarding meats....I eat no brains, no livers, no intestines, no private parts, no sweetbreads, no feet, tails, tongues,or any other of those kind of parts! I don't like Kumquats, Persimmons, or cranberries. Dried Apricots, and Apples taste and smell like stinky feet to me. Don't like Rhubarb,Parsnips, or Turnips. No Cilantro, or Caraway seeds on anything either. Other than that, I like most everything else.
no avatar
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:03 am

GaryF wrote:Bryan's dislike of fennel seeds reminds me of an article I read last year about chef's and food writer's own dislikes. It was quite interesting because it was so subjective. Of course I can't remember where I read it. Makes me wonder about the forum members really disliked foods.
Here's a couple of mine
I love butter in cooking but can't eat it on bread or muffins- it seems like waxy grease to me.
I've never liked the taste or smell of beef- go figure. I know this is an odd one.
Passion fruit makes me gag and my throat close.

I do enjoy fennel though.

Grits.

You can doctor 'em up with shrimp...syrup...butter...whatever...and they still taste like...Grits.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
no avatar
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:09 am

Nancy Nelson wrote:Regarding meats....I eat no brains, no livers, no intestines, no private parts, no sweetbreads, no feet, tails, tongues,or any other of those kind of parts! I don't like Kumquats, Persimmons, or cranberries. Dried Apricots, and Apples taste and smell like stinky feet to me. Don't like Rhubarb,Parsnips, or Turnips. No Cilantro, or Caraway seeds on anything either. Other than that, I like most everything else.

YO !!! I'm with ya there girl. Just say "WHOA !" to organ meats. If the French want to eat 'em...that's great...That's why they are French and we're not. When we lived in food hell (Oklahoma) they had this little thing for "calf fries". Fortunately I asked what they were BEFORE trying them.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
no avatar
User

Tom Holstein

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:55 am

Derby City :)

by Tom Holstein » Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:31 am

While I'll usually try most any mass consumed food, I just found another item I may dislike. :shock:

http://www.mentalfloss.com/blogs/archives/21465
no avatar
User

Michelle R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 30, 2007 1:28 pm

Hikes Point

by Michelle R. » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:46 am

*hurl*

I'm with folks on the organ meats. Not goin' there.
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly!"
no avatar
User

John Hagan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:38 pm

SPENCER CO. Lake Wazzapamani

by John Hagan » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:53 am

OK, heres a question for all you folks who claim they dont eat organ meats...what about sausage with a natural casing? Does that bother you? I would guess that a few of you also have eaten hot dogs on occasion. No?
The tall one wants white toast, dry, with nothin' on it.
And the short one wants four whole fried chickens, and a Coke.
no avatar
User

Michelle R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 30, 2007 1:28 pm

Hikes Point

by Michelle R. » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:27 am

I take the casings off, and yes, I do eat an occasional hot dog. However, a nice fat plate of liver, or heart, or tongue, or brains ain't happening.
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly!"
no avatar
User

Rebecca Clark

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:57 pm

by Rebecca Clark » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:37 am

Late to the game, but ...

I will gag at the sight or smell of breaded tomatoes. We were poor growing up and my mother FORCED us to eat that disgusting slop on a weekly basis. I've gotten better about eating a warm tomato, but BT are THE WORST food ever created.

Liver, in any form .. disgusting.

Tofu ... I just don't get it. Like Stephan, I try it again about every two years or so; still dislike it intently.

Hominy / sauerkraut / artichokes / brussel sprouts / beets / lima beans ... when God created vegetables, these were the rejects. I choose to do the same.

Any kind of cooked egg that has either a runny yolk or white ... NASTY!

Pork is unclean meat .. cloven hoof. (At least that is what I say when I refuse it. I have given in to the Havana Rumba version, however.)

While I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE seafood, I despise squid. YUCK, YUCK, YUCK!

I have suddenly lost my appetite ...
"Save the neck for me, Clark!" - Cousin Eddie
no avatar
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:56 am

Jay M. and I are in the same camp on cilantro - blech.
no avatar
User

Sarita C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:02 am

by Sarita C » Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:46 pm

Black beans. I could tell you why but then I'd ruin them for you.
PreviousNext