Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

The Gear: Gadgets

no avatar
User

Gayle DeM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:42 pm

Re: The Gear: Gadgets

by Gayle DeM » Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:50 pm

I rarely open cans, but after opening eight cans this evening in the process of making a large batch of chili, I know what y favorite kitchen gadget is. It is my OXO smooth edge can opener! It doesn't leave any sharp edges on can or lid and side-wubd knob is easy-to-turn.
"I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian" -Erma Bombeck
no avatar
User

Michelle R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 30, 2007 1:28 pm

Hikes Point

by Michelle R. » Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:40 am

I laughed at my mom for buying one, but after receiving one as a Christmas gift, it has turned out to be a truly invaluable tool....The Vidalia Chop Wizard. I love mine, and use it regularly.
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly!"
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:42 am

Is it only for Vidalia- not other onions? :?

Deb
no avatar
User

Michelle R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 30, 2007 1:28 pm

Hikes Point

by Michelle R. » Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:31 pm

I use mine for eggs, celery, carrots, onions, etc. It's actually a nifty little gadget.
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly!"
no avatar
User

SusanLukjan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 09, 2007 12:45 pm

291 N. Hubbards Ln (next to Kroger)

by SusanLukjan » Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:30 pm

We at Campbell's Gourmet Cottage have access to Kuhn Ricon but due to the price point the Oxo corn stripper is a much better seller. We like most retailers (the one's that want to stay in business anyway) are stocking the best sellers. Oxo also has some great storage containers! We can hardly keep them in stock. Remember to shop and eat locally at the places you want to stay in business!!!
Check Our Our Latest Cooking Class Schedule!!
Campbell's Gourmet Cottage
291 N. Hubbards Ln
893-6700
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:17 pm

John's recent post about storing green onions made me think of another favorite "gadget": Green Produce Bags

They are green produce- size bags that are perforated with tiny holes to let the ethelyne gas out , and keep your produce fresh MUCH longer. I've been using them for years, and HIGHLY recommend them. ( although the local local brand they used to carry at Paul's seems to have disappeared, and now all I can find is the "Debbie Meyers" brand.) I wouldn't get my CSA without them.

They come in packages of 20 bags for typically $10 , which seems high. But, 1) they really do extend the life of most vegetables and fruits by a long time ( Days to weeks) in your crisper and 2) they are reusable. When I've used what's inside, I just rinse them out, turn them inside out and stand them over a bottle. etc to dry. They last forever this way ( unless neglect to clean out the frig and you ended with complete mush inside one and can't stand cleaning it out :oops: ), so it's good for your pocketbook and the environment.

Here's a link ( but as I said they definitely carry them at two stores above and I'm sure many other places- including one vendor at Beargrass Farmer's Market last year):
https://www.greenbags.com/?cid=402572
no avatar
User

Stephen D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:41 am

Lyndon, Ky

by Stephen D » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:14 am

Deb Hall wrote:John's recent post about storing green onions made me think of another favorite "gadget": Green Produce Bags

They are green produce- size bags that are perforated with tiny holes to let the ethelyne gas out , and keep your produce fresh MUCH longer. I've been using them for years, and HIGHLY recommend them. ( although the local local brand they used to carry at Paul's seems to have disappeared, and now all I can find is the "Debbie Meyers" brand.) I wouldn't get my CSA without them.

They come in packages of 20 bags for typically $10 , which seems high. But, 1) they really do extend the life of most vegetables and fruits by a long time ( Days to weeks) in your crisper and 2) they are reusable. When I've used what's inside, I just rinse them out, turn them inside out and stand them over a bottle. etc to dry. They last forever this way ( unless neglect to clean out the frig and you ended with complete mush inside one and can't stand cleaning it out :oops: ), so it's good for your pocketbook and the environment.

Here's a link ( but as I said they definitely carry them at two stores above and I'm sure many other places- including one vendor at Beargrass Farmer's Market last year):
https://www.greenbags.com/?cid=402572

I'm sold. They got them at Walgreen's...
no avatar
User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:32 pm

by carla griffin » Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:38 am

I'm a big Silpat fan. The flat cookie sheet size is a great multitasker. Baking cookies is a breeze with it. I also dip chocolates on it, roll pastry dough on it.
I also just bought 2 silicon oven grips. Good- bye old nasty , raggedy pot holders that give out and fray the first time you put them in the washing machine. My new ones I can throw in the dish washer.
Carla
There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't, and that's a wife who can't cook and will. ~Robert Frost
no avatar
User

Lois Mauk

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:08 pm

Jeffersonville, Indiana

by Lois Mauk » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:58 pm

Oh, I LOVE my silicone oven mitt and trivets!
Make a fast friend . . . Adopt a retired racer from Greyhound Pets of America!
http://www.GPALouisville.org
no avatar
User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:32 pm

by carla griffin » Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:02 am

I also have a little doo-hicky for cookie making. Hard to describe... it's a small, metal spatula that scoops up one teaspoon of dough then scrapes the dough off onto the cookie sheet. (Rather than using a teaspoon by which I always make the cookies too big.)
Carla
There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't, and that's a wife who can't cook and will. ~Robert Frost
no avatar
User

Lois Mauk

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:08 pm

Jeffersonville, Indiana

by Lois Mauk » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:21 am

Carla, I have a doohickey similar to yours. Have had it for at least 25 years, since my son was little. Don't have a clue where it came from, but I also dig it out when making drop cookies. I can't find one like it on-line, but there is substantially different design based on the same principle called a "cookie dropper":

Another favorite silicone item is the cover for cast iron skillet handles. Picked one up at Bed, Bath & Beyond (or "Bloodbath & Beyond" as we call it) and it's so handy and useful.

Make a fast friend . . . Adopt a retired racer from Greyhound Pets of America!
http://www.GPALouisville.org
no avatar
User

Beth K.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 23, 2007 2:18 pm

by Beth K. » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:29 am

Crate and Barrel has collapsible silicone strainers/collanders on clearance.

http://www.crateandbarrel.com
Click on "outlet," then "kitchen."
There is a small one under "gadgets" and a larger one under "prep"
no avatar
User

Steve A

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:13 am

turn left

by Steve A » Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:12 pm

My sweetie got a Spaetzle Maker some time back, and I was fairly skeptical that she'd make regular use of it. Fact is that Spaetzle has become the standard carb dish along side roast pork, along with sweet/sour cabbage or kraut. The recipe she uses includes a little nutmeg which just puts it over the top.
"It ain't a matter of pork 'n beans that's gonna justify your soul
Just don't try to lay no boogie woogie on the king of rock and roll."
Previous