Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.
no avatar
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

Inventory: What's in your kitchen "utility drawer"?

by Marsha L. » Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:27 pm

You know the one. The one with the scissors, screws, coupons, corn-holders shaped like ears of corn, yellow-pages-lawyer-ad-magnets, etc.

Who's brave enough to begin? It's time to clean that crap out anyway. The "What's on Top of your Fridge" thread certainly made me clean mine off!
Marsha Lynch
LEO columnist, free range cook/food writer/food stylist
no avatar
User

Michelle R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 30, 2007 1:28 pm

Hikes Point

Re: Inventory: What's in your kitchen "utility drawer"?

by Michelle R. » Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:30 pm

Candles, chopsticks, a bag of screws, a bag of thumbtacks, drinking straws, skewers, a bag of rocks collected in Wyoming, old cell phones, misc. tools, a pencil sharpener, and Jimmy Hoffa.
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly!"
no avatar
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:32 pm

Michelle R. wrote:Candles, chopsticks, a bag of screws, a bag of thumbtacks, drinking straws, skewers, a bag of rocks collected in Wyoming, old cell phones, misc. tools, a pencil sharpener, and Jimmy Hoffa.

Thanks for stepping up, Michelle. I was wondering where Hoffa had gotten to - imagine, he's been supine in a drawer in your kitchen since before you were born!

Who's next? :twisted:
Marsha Lynch
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

by GaryF » Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:08 pm

Marsha, that is just plain mean.
You all saw the list of things on my fridge (since cleaned out, thank you very much).
But my drawers? I don't have the time (hoildays, you know) or humility.
No Marsha, the forum will not get into my drawers. :lol: :lol: :lol:
no avatar
User

MichelleS

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:45 am

by MichelleS » Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:58 pm

I don't have one.

Apartment kitchens stink.
no avatar
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:00 pm

Michelle! I have a hideously small "galley kitchen" with an electric Barbie stove (three little burners and one big - oven not quite big enough for a cookie sheet) - and I STILL have a kitchen utility drawer (one of two drawers in the whole kitchen)!
Marsha Lynch
no avatar
User

Heather Y

{ RANK }

In Time Out Room

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Prospect

by Heather Y » Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:16 pm

Which one ,I have Three? First two in the island has cooking tools, i.e. spat, microplane, corn holders, tongs, wisks, scoops, etc.
The third has old bread ties, digital thermometer, scissors, handiwipes from BW3, (where did those come from?), apple peeler part, Bonsai plant scissors (plant gone still have tool), appliance instruction books, and I think that is it.
no avatar
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:36 pm

Marsha L. wrote:You know the one. The one with the scissors, screws, coupons, corn-holders shaped like ears of corn, yellow-pages-lawyer-ad-magnets, etc.

Who's brave enough to begin? It's time to clean that crap out anyway. The "What's on Top of your Fridge" thread certainly made me clean mine off!

Hmmmmm...we must be blessed...We have two junk drawers (actually they're all junk drawers but that's another story). In the "man" junk drawer there are bamboo skewers, metal skewers, a new grill brush, a digital thermometer (with TWO probes no less), a pair of thongs, I mean tongs and a couple of dozen beer coasters. I'm not sure what is in the "girl" junk drawer...Becky doesn't like me getting into her drawer.

Steve thinks he is soooo cute. Becky
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:30 pm

Too much to count. I can't even stand to think of starting to do an inventory. Utensils, pizza cutter, pastry cutter, jar opener, instant-read thermometer, some chopsticks, a sharpening steel ... oh, geez, there's lots more in there. Don't make me go look ...
no avatar
User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:32 pm

38 degrees 25' 25' N 85 degrees 36' 2' W

by Ed Vermillion » Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:54 am

Jiminy.............digital thermometer, leatherman tool, matches, rubber bands, road flare (20 minute duration.....don't ask), gutter nail, sticky notes, hemostats, tacks, hot wax impression thingy with the letter V attachment, band aids, marbles, duct tape, pliers, crescent wrench, roll of exposed 35 mm film from god knows when, digital camera, candles and vinyl gloves. I typically upend the whole drawer into the trash twice a year. The objects crawl out of the trash and back into the drawer while we sleep. Bulls on Parade.
no avatar
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:49 am

Unbelievably, mine is not too bad! We have:

batteries, twist ties, a safety pin, ball point pens, a pair of wire-cutters, scissors, double-sided sticky tape, blank key rings, a box of staples, a cork, two - count 'em - two wrong-sized bulbs for the oven light (How do I ALWAYS buy the wrong size?), a coaster, two jar-opener thingies, a bench scraper, blank index cards, a wooden spoon, a book of matches, rubber bands, a knife cover, a tiny ziploc bag of poultry seasoning, a turkey-trussing needle, a roll of foil, a roll of film wrap, the parts of the kitchen tap we took off to install the water filter, picture hangers, a stud-finder, a metal measuring teaspoon that belonged to my grandmother, and a squirt gun for cat discipline.

LOL - worse than I thought. :mrgreen:
Marsha Lynch
no avatar
User

John Hagan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:38 pm

SPENCER CO. Lake Wazzapamani

by John Hagan » Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:30 am

Digital probe thermometer, 2 non digital probes, box of toothpicks, larger box toothpicks, jar opener that looks like a mouse pad, sharpie marker, roll of butchers tape, replacement wire for cheese slicer, corn shaped corn holders, 2 books matches, bamboo skewers, 2 misc colored plastic items we cant seem to figure out, twist ties, loose batteries, plastic dish scraper, cheese cloth,plastic silverware, lemon scented moist towelettes.

I'm trying to figure out why Ed has road flares in his kitchen? Creme brulee?
The tall one wants white toast, dry, with nothin' on it.
And the short one wants four whole fried chickens, and a Coke.
no avatar
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:17 am

John Hagan wrote: I'm trying to figure out why Ed has road flares in his kitchen? Creme brulee?

He said don't ask! Now he's gonna hafta kill you.
Marsha Lynch
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:23 am

It is confirmed- I have a sick mind. All I could think about was that Ed's drawer:

leatherman tool, matches, road flare (20 minute duration.....don't ask), hot wax impression thingy with the letter V attachment, duct tape, pliers, candles and vinyl gloves

Sounds like a particularly twisted episode of CSI. :shock:
Deb
Last edited by Deb Hall on Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:14 pm

Ed Vermillion wrote:Jiminy.............digital thermometer, leatherman tool, matches, rubber bands, road flare (20 minute duration.....don't ask), gutter nail, sticky notes, hemostats, tacks, hot wax impression thingy with the letter V attachment, band aids, marbles, duct tape, pliers, crescent wrench, roll of exposed 35 mm film from god knows when, digital camera, candles and vinyl gloves. I typically upend the whole drawer into the trash twice a year. The objects crawl out of the trash and back into the drawer while we sleep. Bulls on Parade.

I won't ask about the road flare...but I AM a little curious about the hemostats :wink:
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
Next