Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

Re: Time to own up to your "kitchen disasters"

by Deb Hall » Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:02 am

Okay, Heather, you win! :shock:

DEb
no avatar
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:19 pm

This was a couple of years ago. Picture it: Me standing at the mixer making choc chip cookies. At the time I had nearly waist length hair.

There's a real reason you must always pin up your hair when in the kitchen. . .

I leaned over to look into the bowl, a strand of hair falls into the mixer bowl and quite suddenly, as my hair winds around the beaters, my head slams into the mixer head. I'm face down toward the bowl and can't see or figure out which lever is the off switch and I'm all discombobulated anyway. Yep, I hit the speed control the wrong way. The hair is starting to rip out of my head. ooooouch. I'm screaming for hubby to come get me out of the mixer.

I finally hit the switch and got the thing turned off, but I'm still head into the bowl. I tell hubby to cut me out. He's not sure he should cut my hair. I tell him a funny haircut is the least of my worries at the moment.

He cut me out and needless to say I threw out the cookie dough. I also spent a hour or so picking hair out of the mixer.
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:51 pm

Leah,

Okay, I think you are tied with Heather... :shock:

Deb
no avatar
User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:09 pm

by Jay M. » Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:51 pm

Deb Hall wrote:Okay, I think you are tied with Heather... :shock: Deb

Absolutely. We are not worthy. :)
no avatar
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:41 pm

Leah s wrote:This was a couple of years ago. Picture it: Me standing at the mixer making choc chip cookies. At the time I had nearly waist length hair.

There's a real reason you must always pin up your hair when in the kitchen. . .

I leaned over to look into the bowl, a strand of hair falls into the mixer bowl and quite suddenly, as my hair winds around the beaters, my head slams into the mixer head. I'm face down toward the bowl and can't see or figure out which lever is the off switch and I'm all discombobulated anyway. Yep, I hit the speed control the wrong way. The hair is starting to rip out of my head. ooooouch. I'm screaming for hubby to come get me out of the mixer.

I finally hit the switch and got the thing turned off, but I'm still head into the bowl. I tell hubby to cut me out. He's not sure he should cut my hair. I tell him a funny haircut is the least of my worries at the moment.

He cut me out and needless to say I threw out the cookie dough. I also spent a hour or so picking hair out of the mixer.

Mmmmmmmm....I'm thinking this is the winner. OMG, I'm sure it wasn't funny at the time but it's humorous to read about it now. Thanks for sharing.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
no avatar
User

Mandy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:41 pm

Old Louisville

by Mandy R » Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:12 pm

Oh my goodness Heather, I'm glad that that was all that happened from that though I guess it's bad enough! You may want to try activated charcoal (the kind that goes in aquariums, it has been proven to be much more effective that baking soda or regular charcoal).

That actually reminded me of something I did about 3 years ago, I suppose I had done a pretty good job of blocking the mortification from my memory until I read that :)

I had been mixing up and baking cookies all morning for some friends when I had some unexpected guests drop by. As the the sink was full I shoved my a favorite-and largest-plastic mixing bowl in the oven, something I never do. Later on after my guests had left and I had cleaned up the dishes in the sink I decided to also make cupcakes since I was in a major baking mood. I needed a couple of more ingredients so I turned the oven on to preheat and ran out for a quick trip to Kroger. I came back maybe fifteen minutes later to the most noxious smoke imaginable, and yanked the oven door open. The bowl had melted over the oven racks and was pooling onto the bottom, the majority of the liquid plastic on fire! I managed to get the fire safely put out and later on had to chisel plastic that had hardened to the bottom of the oven and onto the oven racks. No matter how much air freshener I used and all the airing out I did I could still smell melting plastic for more than a week!
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

by GaryF » Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:35 am

Heather, I'm so glad you abd the family are safe and sound, it sounds really frightening.

Leah- you know, oddly enough that has never happened to me. :D :D
no avatar
User

Gayle DeM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:42 pm

by Gayle DeM » Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:32 am

Can't imagine why, Gary. :wink:
"I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian" -Erma Bombeck
no avatar
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:42 pm

Gary you definitely have the advantage over me in the hair department.
Previous