Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

abscence of mallard

no avatar
User

Bethy Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:46 am

Louisville

abscence of mallard

by Bethy Johnson » Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:22 pm

Has anyone seen duck fat in any of the grocers or meat markets around town? So far, I've checked Valu-Mkt, Kroger, Fresh Mkt, Whole Foods. Didn't realize it would be hard to find and now I'm worried about finding it for Christmas.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: abscence of mallard

by Robin Garr » Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:00 pm

Bethy Johnson wrote:Has anyone seen duck fat in any of the grocers or meat markets around town? So far, I've checked Valu-Mkt, Kroger, Fresh Mkt, Whole Foods. Didn't realize it would be hard to find and now I'm worried about finding it for Christmas.

Try Burger's, Bethy. They often have duck, so they MIGHT have duck fat. Creation Gardens is another possibility.

Otherwise, how much do you need? Ducks are pretty fatty, and who knows, you might be able to pull enough out of a single duck.
no avatar
User

Ethan Ray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:30 pm

by Ethan Ray » Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:58 am

Creation Gardens should carry it.

They generally carry most of Hudson Valley's more common product line (foie gras, duck legs, duck confit, duck fat, etc.)
Ethan Ray

I put vegetables in your desserts, white chocolate with your fish and other nonsense stuff that you think shouldn't make sense, but coax the nonsense into something that makes complete sense in your mouth. Just open your mind, mouth and eat.
no avatar
User

Heather Y

{ RANK }

In Time Out Room

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Prospect

by Heather Y » Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:12 am

Got to love that Jungle Jim's...... they had duck confit, and duck fat... Oh, and get this Iberico ham (not even on the leg) for 119.99 per lb.

If only.... (sigh)
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

by GaryF » Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:38 am

I just purchased confit yesterday at Burger's, I didn't see any fat but I'm sure they would order it for you. They told me they order on Mon for delivery on Wed with their specialty poultry products.
no avatar
User

Bethy Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

by Bethy Johnson » Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:09 am

Thanks so much! I've never been to Burgers *or* Creation Gardens but have been wanting to go to both for quite some time and I'm totally doing it today. I'm pretty new to Louisville and live out toward Middletown so I've kept my shopping route down to St. Matthews, Crescent Hill etc - tend to get lost if I stray too far from Shelbyville Rd. I googlemapped Creation Gardens a long time ago but hesitated because I wasn't sure, from their website and what I've read on the boards, whether CG is open to retail shoppers generally, or only at certain times. I'm timid about stuff like that. In fact, yesterday when I asked the Fresh Market meat guy about duck fat and told him I thought I'd seen D'artagnan duck fat in their case before, he went on and on about how they get all their specialty birds from D'artagnan but not duck fat - on the inside I was saying "well then, wouldn't it be pretty easy to order me a carton?" but outside all I said was "thank you". Wimpy wheels don't get the grease.
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:09 pm

Betsy,

You don't need to be shy about going to Creation Gardens- they are open for retail customer the same hours as wholesale/restaurant customers. They've really expanded their selection over the years and if you are a cooking foodie, you really owe yourself a trip down. Fun just to wander thru...

Just be careful to check their hours before heading down- they are not open Mondays and regular hours are very early and close early compared to what you are used to at retail stores.

Deb
no avatar
User

Ethan Ray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:30 pm

by Ethan Ray » Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:18 pm

Deb Hall wrote:
Just be careful to check their hours before heading down- they are not open Mondays and regular hours are very early and close early compared to what you are used to at retail stores.

They close at 4pm Tuesday - Friday, and (i think) 2pm Saturdays
Ethan Ray

I put vegetables in your desserts, white chocolate with your fish and other nonsense stuff that you think shouldn't make sense, but coax the nonsense into something that makes complete sense in your mouth. Just open your mind, mouth and eat.
no avatar
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:43 pm

Bethy, just wanted to say kudos on the thread title. It quacks me up every time I see it.

*rimshot*
Marsha Lynch
LEO columnist, free range cook/food writer/food stylist
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

by GaryF » Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:42 pm

This may be way too late but there was no duck fat too be had today at Creation.
no avatar
User

Bethy Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

by Bethy Johnson » Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:16 am

Quite nick-of-timely, Gary, thanks ever so much for saying. I didn't get downtown saturday after all and was going to venture out tomorrow AM. Now I have an excuse to stay home and read. (and make my daugther/shopping slave bring me some from the city) Thank you, Marsha.
no avatar
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Wed May 20, 2009 4:41 pm

Now I want some duck fat - just looked at Creation's catalog - $44.00 for a whole tub, it doesn't even say how many ounces it is. Did anyone ever find anywhere to buy a "little bit" of duck fat?

Yeah, I know, I could render it myself. But I'd be thrilled to just buy $10-worth of duck fat. Doesn't somebody in town have duck fat fries on their menu? Maybe I could saunter in the back door of the kitchen and trade a coconut cake for some.
Marsha Lynch
LEO columnist, free range cook/food writer/food stylist
no avatar
User

Brad Keeton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:04 pm

Highlands

by Brad Keeton » Wed May 20, 2009 5:02 pm

Marsha L. wrote: Yeah, I know, I could render it myself. But I'd be thrilled to just buy $10-worth of duck fat. Doesn't somebody in town have duck fat fries on their menu? Maybe I could saunter in the back door of the kitchen and trade a coconut cake for some.

Duck fat fries. . . mmmmm. . . .

If they exist in this city, please announce. That will be all.
"I don't eat vegans. They're too bony."
-Alton Brown
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed May 20, 2009 5:18 pm

Repeating my earlier response: Buy a duck breast frozen at Burger's for $10. Pull off the fat. Save the duck for another day. Works for me! I love duck, and every time I make anything involving it, whole or parts, I save the fat. Keeps almost forever, tightly sealed in glass in the fridge.
no avatar
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Wed May 20, 2009 8:26 pm

Marsha L. wrote:Now I want some duck fat - just looked at Creation's catalog - $44.00 for a whole tub, it doesn't even say how many ounces it is. Did anyone ever find anywhere to buy a "little bit" of duck fat?

Yeah, I know, I could render it myself. But I'd be thrilled to just buy $10-worth of duck fat. Doesn't somebody in town have duck fat fries on their menu? Maybe I could saunter in the back door of the kitchen and trade a coconut cake for some.

OK...everybody got this ?...Marsha needs to score a "dime bag" of Duck fat. I'll keep my eyes open Marsha. I might even know a guy in Cleveland, I'll check.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
Next