Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.
no avatar
User

Michelle R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 30, 2007 1:28 pm

Hikes Point

Re: Do you receive any cooking subscritptions?

by Michelle R. » Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:54 am

I, too, subscribe to Taste of Home. I love the recipes, but you are right about the junk mail, and in addition, they send me an unsolicited $30 cookbook every few months, which I send back, unopened, because my kitchen is overflowing with cookbooks, as it is. Like I said, love LOVE the ease of the recipes (I don't have a lot of time to cook. By the time I get done with work/gym, it's almost 7:30 pm) but the junk mail will drive you insane!
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly!"
no avatar
User

David O.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:52 am

Louisville

by David O. » Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:57 am

Robin,

I just tried out this recipe this past weekend:

http://lacucinaitalianamagazine.com/rec ... ldego_wine

It was absolutely wonderful and true to the directions, the flavor improved dramatically after several days. I didn't realize a piece of beef shoulder could dress up so nicely. :wink:
David O.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:06 pm

Oh, man, that DOES look good! It also looks surprisingly like a donkey ragù (don't laugh!) that I had in Oltrepo Pavese in Lombardia once upon a time. Those brasati tend to follow a general pattern - cook 'til tough, flavorful meat falls into tender shreds in a really rich, winey sauce with tasty aromatics - and I am definitely smitten. Thanks, David. Also bookmarked!

David O. wrote:Robin,

It was absolutely wonderful and true to the directions, the flavor improved dramatically after several days. I didn't realize a piece of beef shoulder could dress up so nicely. :wink:
no avatar
User

Heather Y

{ RANK }

In Time Out Room

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Prospect

by Heather Y » Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:38 pm

Marsha,
I love Plate, when I did the Boot camp at CIA, they sent us away with some goodies, and a copy of Plate was in there!

I wish Sullivan would do the whole Boot Camp thingy.
no avatar
User

Stephen D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:41 am

Lyndon, Ky

by Stephen D » Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:38 am

Food and Wine for upcoming trends in the mass market.
Gourmet
Cooks Illustrated (hate to say it, but I like the pictures on the back cover... this month's is tisane herbs/ flowers.)

isante is a nice industry online mag as well
United States Bartender's Guild online
Kentucky Restaurant Association

I'd love to get a subscription to Art Culinaire

:mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Ethan Ray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:30 pm

by Ethan Ray » Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:46 pm

Food Arts
Sante
Dessert Professional (combined Pastry Art and Design, Chocolatier and Frozen Desserts into one magazine)

I second Stephen's wish for an Art Culinaire subscription, but also wish for a subscription to Apicius (first English issues printing in Jan. '09)

Food Arts is hands down my favorite food industry mag, shy of spending the big lump of cash for Art Culinaire. (which is honestly more like a subscription to a quarterly book).
Ethan Ray

I put vegetables in your desserts, white chocolate with your fish and other nonsense stuff that you think shouldn't make sense, but coax the nonsense into something that makes complete sense in your mouth. Just open your mind, mouth and eat.
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:31 pm

I have subcribed to Gourmet for years and enjoy just about every issue cover to cover, particularly now that they are also focusing on sustainable, seasonal fooods and agriculture. BTW: I made the Chipotle Chicken Tortilla soup in their December edition and it was OUTSTANDING- incredible depth of flavor. Here's the link: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Chipotle-Chicken-Tortilla-Soup-350927

I've received Bon Appetit in the past and really don't care for it- not enough articles/travel/ editorials. I want food interest for my reading as well as recipes. And I can get all their recipes, along with Gourmet's at the Epicurious site . http://www.epicurious.com

I love Fine Cooking and highly recommend it. I'm asking for another subscription to it for Xmas this year.

I also liked Cooks Illustrated and the science behind the recipes, but found that I rarely made the recipes.

Looks like now I have to check out La Cucina Italiana... :D

Deb
no avatar
User

Steve B

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:25 pm

Chicago

by Steve B » Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:04 pm

I'm also a fan of Fine Cooking. Nice combination of recipes, tips, techniques and product reviews. Only 6 a year too so you don't feel like you're playing catch up.
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:18 pm

David,

Thanks for the recommend on the magazine and this recipe. I made it last week ( and ate it Sunday) with a Chianti Classico ( couldn't find the first wine) . It was very, very good- definitely going in my recipe book.

Thanks,
Deb
no avatar
User

David O.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:52 am

Louisville

by David O. » Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:19 am

Deb Hall wrote:

David,

Thanks for the recommend on the magazine and this recipe. I made it last week ( and ate it Sunday) with a Chianti Classico ( couldn't find the first wine) . It was very, very good- definitely going in my recipe book.

Thanks,
Deb

:wink:
David O.
Previous