Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

Pre-Prepared Fondant

no avatar
User

Peg O'Neill

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:28 pm

Pre-Prepared Fondant

by Peg O'Neill » Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:19 pm

Can rolled fondant be found locally anywhere?
no avatar
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Pre-Prepared Fondant

by Marsha L. » Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:01 pm

Yeah, you can get it at M & K Bryant Cake and Candy supply in Highview, or at Campbell's Gourmet Cottage at Westport and Hubbards. Leah may know more.
Marsha Lynch
LEO columnist, free range cook/food writer/food stylist
no avatar
User

Andrea E

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:15 pm

La Grange, KY

by Andrea E » Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:38 pm

It is soooo easy to make yourself, and tastes far better. Try this recipe for marshmallow fondant: http://whatscookingamerica.net/PegW/Fondant.htm. Three ingredients and it tastes good too, like circus peanuts. I've used both commercial and homemade fondant and much prefer doing it myself. Just make sure you have a nice clean counter to work on, rolled fondant picks up dust and crumbs like crazy!
Q&A Sweet Treats Bakery & Dessert Cafe
211 South First Street
La Grange, KY 40031
502-265-0550
www.qasweettreats.com
no avatar
User

Peg O'Neill

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Peg O'Neill » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:10 am

Andrea E wrote:It is soooo easy to make yourself, and tastes far better. Try this recipe for marshmallow fondant: http://whatscookingamerica.net/PegW/Fondant.htm. Three ingredients and it tastes good too, like circus peanuts. I've used both commercial and homemade fondant and much prefer doing it myself. Just make sure you have a nice clean counter to work on, rolled fondant picks up dust and crumbs like crazy!

I made this recipe last night. Wasn't as difficult as I worried it'd be as far as putting stuff on the stove and doing a gazillion different methods of adding ingredients. But it was extremely messy! I made it with chocolate and refrigerated it. I intend to roll this out tonight and cut out letters with a toothpick or x-acto knife. It's kind of a trial run, so I hope it goes well or that someone can give me feedback if it doesn't.

Also...for the real version, I'm going to attempt to do this: (link to image)

I am going to probably do buttercream for the background, or possibly dipped fondant. I do have a couple questions about the colors/shapes, though. Do I need any special tools for this, or can I get by with using my fingers, an x-acto knife, and toothpicks? Also, as far as coloring, how do I make the colors so vibrant on the rolled fondant? Is it better to add it and knead it, or to make the shapes in plain white and then paint the color on? If I need special instruments (looking at inexpensive, here), where can I get them. The same with the coloring. I tried to add regular gel food coloring to the chocolate last night, to give it a deeper brown and not so, uh, flesh-color, and it didn't really mix well or result in much of a change once I finally kneaded it in.
no avatar
User

Michelle R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 30, 2007 1:28 pm

Hikes Point

by Michelle R. » Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:57 pm

Those are too cute!

I should make some WoW ones for my hubby. Someone made some WoW cakes and posted pix of them online, omg, were they gorgeous!

http://www.engamers.com/wp-content/uplo ... ke_wow.jpg
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly!"
no avatar
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:08 pm

Ah, crap, Michelle, let's just introduce Tom and John to each other again and put the two of them in a room together at one of our places and you and I can stay in the other one. You probably have a bigger kitchen, so I'll move over there and they can set up over here :)
Marsha Lynch
LEO columnist, free range cook/food writer/food stylist
no avatar
User

Peg O'Neill

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Peg O'Neill » Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:26 pm

Well, working with the fondant for the test run was a lot easier than I thought it would be. However, *still* way more involved than I want to fool with to do multiple colors and precise cutting/piecing. I now understand why cake bakers charge so darn much! :)
no avatar
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:01 pm

Well, it looks like you got good advice. Marsha is spot on about where to buy the pre-made. It's so easy to use I never make the stuff any more. Satin Ice is the brand of choice for pros and it tastes great! For vibrant colors, always buy the pre-made. It takes so much dye that the texture of the fondant can change.
no avatar
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:04 pm

I made Marshmallow fondant once. Once. Total PITA. SatinIce is so reliable and easy to use! Campbells always has a good assortment of colors in the smaller containers, too!
no avatar
User

SusanLukjan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 09, 2007 12:45 pm

291 N. Hubbards Ln (next to Kroger)

by SusanLukjan » Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:46 pm

Peg,
Campbell's Gourmet Cottage sells fondant. We also have colored fondant for those hard colors like black and red. Please come take a look at our cake decorating supplies!!
Check Our Our Latest Cooking Class Schedule!!
Campbell's Gourmet Cottage
291 N. Hubbards Ln
893-6700
no avatar
User

SusanLukjan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 09, 2007 12:45 pm

291 N. Hubbards Ln (next to Kroger)

by SusanLukjan » Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:43 pm

Marsha L. wrote:Yeah, you can get it at M & K Bryant Cake and Candy supply in Highview, or at Campbell's Gourmet Cottage at Westport and Hubbards. Leah may know more.

Marsha,
I will have the contoured pans in stock next week. I hear they are great for fondant covered cakes.
Check Our Our Latest Cooking Class Schedule!!
Campbell's Gourmet Cottage
291 N. Hubbards Ln
893-6700
no avatar
User

Carolyne Davis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:22 am

by Carolyne Davis » Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:36 pm

Since everyone was talking about fondant, I thought I would share this picture of a cupcake I made. Actually, I made 20 of them for my god daughter''s baby shower. I used Wilton's pre made fondant, but, I have made it from scratch and used the kind Leah likes. Doesn't matter, it still tastes like play dough to me! the cake part was mutil colored in purple, pink, green, yellow, blue and white.

Ok! Ihave to work on this, it says the file is too big! I'll try again later after I figure out how to resize it! Sorry!
Last edited by Carolyne Davis on Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Carolyne Davis

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carolyne Davis » Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:37 pm

Shoot! I must be doing something stupid, because I didn't get the picture attached. I'll have to work on that! Sorry.
no avatar
User

Carolyne Davis

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carolyne Davis » Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:42 pm

Ok, I am trying this again..... tadaaaaaaa!
attach.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:09 pm

by Jay M. » Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:24 pm

Last edited by Jay M. on Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Next