Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

Organic milk

no avatar
User

Gayle DeM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:42 pm

Organic milk

by Gayle DeM » Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:39 pm

I don't get it. I try to buy healhy. When it comes to milk, I like to think that would be "organic." However, if I buy regular milk, it's expiration date is usually within two weeks. If I buy "organic" milk, it's expiration date is in approximately six weeks. What gives? Somebody please explain this to me.
"I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian" -Erma Bombeck
no avatar
User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:32 pm

Re: Organic milk

by carla griffin » Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:02 pm

Organic milk is ultra pasteurized at a much higher temperature than regular milk. It kills much more of the harmful bacteria than the lower temps used in the process for regular milk. (Have you noticed that organic milk tastes a bit different than regular milk? The little bit of sugar in milk gets cooked or caramelized.) In Europe in some places , it's not even refrigerated.
Carla
There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't, and that's a wife who can't cook and will. ~Robert Frost
no avatar
User

Gayle DeM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:42 pm

by Gayle DeM » Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:27 pm

Thank you, Carla. I'm not a milk drinker. I've never tasted it. I buy it for my grandchildren. I love the fact that since I started buying organic milk with its longer shelf life, I no longer am pouring sour milk down my drain.
"I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian" -Erma Bombeck
no avatar
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

by Doogy R » Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:43 pm

I buy normal skim milk at the grocery and can usually get a 3 week or more (my last gallon was 24 days) expiration date. Just look around. I am on a super tight budget and most groceries have skim for $2-2 1/2 per gallon. Good enough for Doogy.
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
no avatar
User

MichelleS

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:45 am

by MichelleS » Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:02 am

I only buy organic milk anymore and it isn't because of our health although that is an added benefit.

We just don't use much milk so the long shelf life makes the purchase an actual cost savings for us.

In fact, the only thing I can think of that I use it for regularly is Jiffy corn bread. Love me some Jiffy corn bread!
no avatar
User

Mark Head

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:44 pm

Prospect

by Mark Head » Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:58 am

My son drinks about a gallon of Rebecca Grace whole milk per week. This stuff tastes great and has glass returnable bottles. It has too many calories so my wife and I use low-fat organic milk in cereal etc. We too like the extended shelf-life. Much less goes down the drain.