Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

When is it too early to decorate?

no avatar
User

Sarita C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:02 am

When is it too early to decorate?

by Sarita C » Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:29 pm

I know this is a silly question but this year Thanksgiving is late and I usually decorate my kitchen. I did not decorate anything other than the tree before I moved here but it makes sense because we spend a lot of time in the kitchen over the holidays. It's so lovely and I enjoy looking at it so much. Given the doom and gloom of the nation's current status I needed a boost so I went ahead and decorated the kitchen...I gotta admit...I love it.
So...should I feel ashamed I'm the first one in the neighborhood with lights up?

Best,
Sarita
no avatar
User

C. Devlin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:42 pm

Re: When is it too early to decorate?

by C. Devlin » Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:46 pm

I was just thinking of that a couple of days ago, but probably because we celebrated an early Thanksgiving when my mother-in-law visited a couple of weeks ago. I just pulled out all my Christmas music too, and I'm just about to pop it all in the cd player. And I'm thinking the front porch lights need to go up now. Just because they're so pretty. And on our way to a movie last night, we noticed a stand already full of Christmas trees. So, too early? Nah.
no avatar
User

Sarita C

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Sarita C » Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:59 pm

My husband called me on his way into work today and told me that the place that we buy our Christmas tree from every year has started setting up. I'm happy with the garlands for now. The time between Thanksgiving and Christmas is so short. We press ourselves to squeeze it all in. I made the right decision. So, folks...decorate early with reckless abandon! It will give you more time after Thanksgiving to enjoy the people you love.

Best,
Sarita
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

by GaryF » Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:59 pm

It must be time to decorate now since the crazy family on Westport road has all their stuff out. Do you know the one I mean- it's past the expressway going out of town- they cover every inch of their yard with stuff every year. It's wonderfully tacky and amazing. I noticed an entire choir when I went past today. I think they have every blow up machine ever invented.
It is my favorite thing about Christmas in Louisville because it makes me laugh every time.
no avatar
User

Rob Summers

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:37 pm

by Rob Summers » Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:36 pm

Growing up we put the lights on the house as it turned cold, so Mid November, but they werent turned on until Dec 1. Now this was before the "icicle light" trend started so it was pretty inconspicous. the tree never went up before my Dads birthday which was the 13th of December, but it stayed up for a month.
The 'net is a waste of time, and that's exactly what's right about it.
~William Gibson
no avatar
User

Michelle R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 30, 2007 1:28 pm

Hikes Point

by Michelle R. » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:50 am

GaryF wrote:It must be time to decorate now since the crazy family on Westport road has all their stuff out. Do you know the one I mean- it's past the expressway going out of town- they cover every inch of their yard with stuff every year. It's wonderfully tacky and amazing. I noticed an entire choir when I went past today. I think they have every blow up machine ever invented.
It is my favorite thing about Christmas in Louisville because it makes me laugh every time.

The sad thing is, I know EXACTLY which house you're talking about. That guy has been lighting up his yard like Clark W. Griswold since I was in high school! My hubby has never gotten to appreciate the delightful tackiness of it all, so closer to Christmas, I'll drag him out that way. I wonder how long it takes to get all that crap up....their electric bill for Nov/Dec must be outrageous!

Does anyone know which neighborhoods decorate for Christmas? Lake Forest used to be a huge attraction, but since they got rid of the reindeer, it seems like less and less houses decorate every year, and last year, only a few houses had lights up. I'm looking for someplace to take my 6 year old niece that will really dazzle her, and get her excited about Santa.
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly!"
no avatar
User

Sarita C

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Sarita C » Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:30 pm

White Blossom off of North Hurstbourne Pky used to put on a pretty good display.