Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

Thanksgiving Menu

no avatar
User

Leann C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:42 pm

Highlands

Thanksgiving Menu

by Leann C » Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:32 pm

For those who are cooking at home this Thanksgiving, what's on your menu? Since my husband and are still considered "the kids", I almost never get to cook a Thanksgiving dinner. This year, I do get to help a friend plan her dinner and we're brainstorming the menu.

.....so what are you guys cooking? Any thoughts on brining vs. deep frying vs. smoking the turkey etc.? Final question, what do you think about pre-dinner apps? Don't want to fill everyone up, but we'll need to graze some while waiting for the bird.
no avatar
User

Gayle DeM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:42 pm

Re: Thanksgiving Menu

by Gayle DeM » Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:45 pm

I'm in favor of a brined turkey cooked on the grill. I think pumpkin cheesecake is much preferable to pumpkin pie. For a first course my family demands curried pumpkin soup. I know that's a bit heavy on the pumpkin, but one is savory; the other sweet. Additionally, in the past few years, we have nixed the mashed potatoes & gravy and taken to roasting "winter" vegetables: rutabaga, parsnips, a squash plus sweet and "white" potatoes with olive oil, salt, pepper, and rosemary (and maybe a carrot or two). For pre-dinner nibbling, we lean towards fresh figs wrapped in paper thin prosciutto. (Figs are so good at this time of year.) The salad and side vegetable vary from year to year.
"I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian" -Erma Bombeck
no avatar
User

Lois Mauk

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:08 pm

Jeffersonville, Indiana

by Lois Mauk » Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:07 am

Our all-time favorite is Alton Brown's Good Eats Roast Turkey:

1 (14 to 16 pound) frozen young turkey

For the brine:
1 gallon vegetable stock
1 cup kosher salt
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1 tablespoon black peppercorns
1 1/2 teaspoons allspice berries
1 1/2 teaspoons chopped candied ginger
1 gallon heavily iced water

For the aromatics:
1 red apple, quartered
1/2 onion, quartered
1 cinnamon stick
1 cup water
4 sprigs rosemary
6 leaves sage
Canola oil

2 to 3 days before roasting:

Begin thawing the turkey in the refrigerator or in a cooler kept at 38 degrees F.

Combine the vegetable stock, salt, brown sugar, peppercorns, allspice berries, and candied ginger in a large stockpot over medium-high heat. Stir occasionally to dissolve solids and bring to a boil. Then remove the brine from the heat, cool to room temperature, and refrigerate.

Early on the day or the night before you'd like to eat:

Combine the brine, water and ice in the 5-gallon bucket. Place the thawed turkey (with innards removed) breast side down in brine. If necessary, weigh down the bird to ensure it is fully immersed, cover, and refrigerate or set in cool area for 8 to 16 hours, turning the bird once half way through brining.

Preheat the oven to 500 degrees F.

Remove the bird from brine and rinse inside and out with cold water. Discard the brine.

Place the bird on roasting rack inside a half sheet pan and pat dry with paper towels.

Combine the apple, onion, cinnamon stick, and 1 cup of water in a microwave safe dish and microwave on high for 5 minutes. Add steeped aromatics to the turkey's cavity along with the rosemary and sage. Tuck the wings underneath the bird and coat the skin liberally with canola oil.

Roast the turkey on lowest level of the oven at 500 degrees F. for 30 minutes. Insert a probe thermometer into thickest part of the breast and reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees F. Set the thermometer alarm (if available) to 151 degrees F. A 14 to 16 pound bird should require a total of 2 to 2 1/2 hours of roasting. Let the turkey rest for at least 15 minutes before carving.

Yield: 10 to 12 servings
Make a fast friend . . . Adopt a retired racer from Greyhound Pets of America!
http://www.GPALouisville.org
no avatar
User

Leann C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands

by Leann C » Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:45 am

Lois,

It's funny you should mention the Alton Brown turkey. I think it's the one we're going to go with. I remembered the episode from a year or two ago and located it on YouTube.com earlier today. In case anyone else is interested, here are the links. Each of these clips is only around 4-5 minutes long so they are a quick watch.

Alton Brown Cooking Perfect Turkey Pt. 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AREWEOxVKD8

Alton Brown Cooking Perfect Turkey Part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NR5EK9UQGd4

Alton Brown's Turkey Brining Secrets
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiSfKDiUavo
Jump ahead to the 2 min. 30 sec. mark for the actual brining instructions.
no avatar
User

Lois Mauk

{ RANK }

Foodie

Jeffersonville, Indiana

by Lois Mauk » Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:26 am

We've been brining our turkeys a la Alton for 4 or 5 years now. It really makes a difference! Totally worth the effort. I've also been surprised by how quickly the bird roasts with the benefit of the high-temp sear at the beginning of the process. Always juicy, tender and delicious!

I have a 5-gallon "pickle bucket" that is used only for soaking country hams and brining turkeys. BTW, I've used the brine recipe above for a turkey as large as 22 pounds. Cooking time would obviously be a tad longer with a larger bird.

Lois
no avatar
User

Michelle R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 30, 2007 1:28 pm

Hikes Point

by Michelle R. » Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:24 am

We were going to deep fry a turkey this year, just for fun, but have since reconsidered. Once we realized how much of an investment it would be (approx $100 for the fryer, $50 for the oil, plus however much for the turkey) we decided against it. We'll probably smoke one.

My favorite part of Thanksgiving isn't even the turkey. It's dessert. My mom makes fudge pie, I make peanut butter pie, and one of my aunts usually brings pecan. There's always a pumpkin pie, although I refuse to touch it with a 10 ft pole. I HATE pumpkin, lol.
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly!"
no avatar
User

Michele Cull

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:44 am

Original Highlands

by Michele Cull » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:04 am

Glad you posted this! We don't have cable and I miss this kind of stuff. Of course if we did have cable, I would never leave the house watching all of this!

MissChele
MissChele
no avatar
User

MichelleS

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:45 am

by MichelleS » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:06 pm

Gayle, last year when I was asking what I should take to my in-laws you told me about your roasted veggies. I was the only one that ate them (my in-laws are vegetable phobic or something) but they were SO GOOD! Thank you!

They even make fake mashed potatoes. That grosses me out. Fortunately my mother in law makes a lovely turkey and the best pecan pie I have ever had so all is not lost.
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:35 pm

We go to my MIL in Tennessee, so I don't get to cook the turkey, but I am bringing:
Cranberry Sauce Grand Marnier
Pumpkin Praline Cheesecake
my potato salad ( I don't consider if Thanksgiving food but my FIL insists)
Stuffing & Gravy
Appetizers

Deb
no avatar
User

Lois Mauk

{ RANK }

Foodie

Jeffersonville, Indiana

by Lois Mauk » Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:44 am

We're having a big pitch-in Thanksgiving Dinner at church on Sunday. One of the members INSISTS that I bring my four-cheese broccoli/rice casserole. I usually make up two pans of it so he has some to take home with him (his wife won't make it for him). Mike and I are also in charge of gravy for 50. There'll be tons and tons of food and a mountain of desserts. Those country church ladies know how to throw down on some pots.

Lois
no avatar
User

Leann C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands

by Leann C » Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:51 am

So we're fretting a bit about the dressing. As a kid, my grandfather was the official maker of the Thanksgiving dressing. I remember that it started with days-old, stale cornbread. Now, I wish I had gotten the recipe before he died, but I was too young at the time. Anyone have any good dressing recipes?

I found two promising looking recipes from Emeril....

Emeril's Baked Oyster Dressing
http://justbaking.net/2007/11/19/baked-oyster-dressing/

Emeril's "Just Right" Cornbread Dressing
http://www.emerils.com/recipe/6821/Just-Right-Stuffing