Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

Fresh Turkey

no avatar
User

Amy A

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:34 pm

Jeffersonville

Fresh Turkey

by Amy A » Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:05 pm

Does anyone know where to purchase fresh turkey, rather than frozen, for Thanksgiving day?
no avatar
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

Re: Fresh Turkey

by Steve Shade » Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:20 pm

Call Rainbow Blossom Shop in St Matthews. They have had these in the past, but you must preorder them.
"Don't accept your dog's admiration as
conclusive evidence that you are wonderful."
-- Ann Landers
no avatar
User

Brian Curl

by Brian Curl » Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:49 pm

Does anyone know where to purchase fresh turkey, rather than frozen, for Thanksgiving day?

How much would you give for me? 210lbs of fresh turkey? :lol:
no avatar
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

by Doogy R » Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:05 pm

Brian Curl wrote:Does anyone know where to purchase fresh turkey, rather than frozen, for Thanksgiving day?

How much would you give for me? 210lbs of fresh turkey? :lol:

So, where is the fresh turkey? I'd like some.
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
no avatar
User

DeeDee D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:48 pm

Sellersburg, IN

by DeeDee D » Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:13 pm

Amy, you have to go to Preferred Meats in Sellersburg! They take orders for the fresh turkeys (you could probably call and reserve one). They come in a few days before Thanksgiving. They are from a local Amish farm, hormone free/free range. We had one last year and it was wonderful! I can't remember how much we paid....a little more than a Butterball but worth it!

110 Hometown Plaza
Sellersburg, IN 47172
812-246-5930

Ask for Candy, tell her DeeDee sent ya!
Realtor, Semonin Realtors
Selling homes in beautiful Indiana
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:39 pm

Amy A wrote:Does anyone know where to purchase fresh turkey, rather than frozen, for Thanksgiving day

Rainbow Blossom should be able to handle it ... check in soon, though, in case they have quantity limits or a deadline for ordering in advance!

I expect Whole Foods would, too, but to be frank, I'd rather see local money go to the local company.
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:40 pm

Amy,

You can order heirloom Bourbon Red turkeys direct from the local farm for pick-up in Louisville. We've never had one for Thanksgiving as we go to my sister's house, but I've tried them at Slow Food Events and it's wonderful. Here's the info:

http://www.bourbonredturkey.com/

Welcome to our Bourbon Red Turkey site!
Scott & Kathy have grown STAR Farm from a dream and now want to share the blessings! Our specialty, Bourbon Red Turkeys available for Fall. Also for sale year-round: Cornish Rock chicken and fresh eggs

We at STAR Farm, Hardyville, Kentucky, would like to thank you for your contribution to preserving this National and Kentucky Heritage.

You don’t have to wait for Thanksgiving to enjoy the exquisite flavor of this Heritage Turkey. Call today to order: Kathy Wheeler @ 270-528-5843

New! 2008 Prices!
About the Bourbon Red Turkey
The Bourbon Red turkey was developed by J.F. Barbee and named for Bourbon County in Kentucky’s Bluegrass Region where it originated in the late 1800’s and ‘Red’ for the rich, chestnut color of the plumage. The Bourbon Red variety was recognized by the American Poultry Association in 1909 and was ambitiously selected and promoted for traits, including a conformation with a heavy breast and richly flavored meat. The Bourbon Red was an important commercial variety through the 1930s and 1940s, however, it declined in popularity as it was unable to compete with the broad breasted varieties. Since 2002, renewed interest in the biological fitness, survivability, and superior flavor of the Bourbon Red has captured consumer interest.

This holiday season, thousands of Americans will forgo their normal Large White commercial turkey to enjoy a different kind of bird. “Heritage” turkeys are enjoying a culinary comeback. Thanks to the joint efforts of breed conservationists, farmers and a movement called Slow Food, demand for heritage turkeys is on the increase, although, it is a unique partnership with consumers that is catapulting heritage turkeys to the attention of food lovers nationwide.

As one of the only domesticated animals to originate in North America, preservation of the rare heritage turkey breeds is like preserving a historical building or rare document. It’s a piece of American history!
About Our Farm
All animals raised natural and free range.

All turkey and chicken is for sale processed, USDA inspected, all natural and ready to cook (live poultry sold by contract only).
no avatar
User

Amy A

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:34 pm

Jeffersonville

by Amy A » Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:52 pm

Thanks guys!

Brian, I don't need to feed THAT many people. :lol: