Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

Cherry Chap-Stick

no avatar
User

Stephen D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:41 am

Lyndon, Ky

Cherry Chap-Stick

by Stephen D » Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:48 pm

OK, this cocktail/technique has been marinating in my head for quite sometime. In following with the 'eat it/drink it' philosophy, I had run myself through some foodstuffs that I thought might not transfer to the world of cocktails. I will warn the forumites, though, that I have only done the most rudimentary of research and this is not yet proven. I'm still quite excited about it, though. The product: Olive Oil.

Of course it breaks and floats when you add it to liquids. I liked the lava-lamp appearance. The oil coats the lips when one drinks the cocktail and it a bit off-putting. So why don't we infuse the oil and use it as a carrier for a long, lip-smacking finish? It's the time of the year for dry lips, when people like me have to rely on chap-stick for comfort. Then an alien texture becomes quite familiar and, indeed, therapeutic, coating the lips with lipidious goodness?

Hmmm...

So we make a drink that has a cherry-infused olive oil on top, something in the range of a Southern Comfort Cosmo. We dehydrate Bing cherries and pulverize then, using the powder to rim the glass. The cherry oil picks up the particles and coats the lips with essence. Talk about a long finish!

I'm not gung-ho on the drink itself. In fact, maybe someone would like to toss an idea for the cocktail itself? Once again, I'd like to invite my fellow mixologists to enter the conversation (I'm just gonna keep poking you!) Cocktail connoisseurs, don't hold back, please!

Edit: Pass the cherries through a chinois and make an emulsification with the juice and EVOO. Would still break in the glass, right? Take the tannins and dehydrate them! The powder should have a 'punch' that makes people laugh because they aren't expecting it. Playing with thier minds (the 6th sense.)
no avatar
User

John Hagan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:38 pm

SPENCER CO. Lake Wazzapamani

Re: Cherry Chap-Stick

by John Hagan » Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:47 am

I used get a product known as Givoley(not sure on SP) from my Croation friends in Chicago. It was a clear somewhat moonshine like drink made from spent cherry skins and pits,left over from making a different cherry liquor. I was always reminded of grappa while drinking it. I could see the flavor of Givoley working well with the chap stick idea.
The tall one wants white toast, dry, with nothin' on it.
And the short one wants four whole fried chickens, and a Coke.
no avatar
User

Stephen D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:41 am

Lyndon, Ky

Re: Cherry Chap-Stick

by Stephen D » Sat Nov 01, 2008 3:39 pm

It would be perfect to prime the glass! Sorta like the vermouth in a martini. Just enough to add depth of character. I'll have to look into availabilty, though...

Nice idea, John! 8)