Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

Gumbo

no avatar
User

Scott Hack

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:09 pm

Pewee Valley, Kentucky

Gumbo

by Scott Hack » Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:03 pm

I'm looking for a chicken and sausage gumbo recipe. I'm not a seafood eater. Anyone have something that they swear by?
Scott Hack
Finish Line Realty
502-376-4225
no avatar
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

Re: Gumbo

by Doogy R » Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:27 pm

Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
no avatar
User

Gary Guss

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:18 pm

Van down by the River

by Gary Guss » Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:08 pm

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:22 am

Scott Hack wrote:I'm looking for a chicken and sausage gumbo recipe. I'm not a seafood eater. Anyone have something that they swear by?

Scott, I created an okra and sausage gumbo a while back that could probably be converted by simply substituting bite-size chunks of boneless chicken meat for the sausage ... might need a little more oil to saute it, but everything else shoudl work:
http://www.wineloverspage.com/wineadvis ... 0502.phtml
no avatar
User

Heather Y

{ RANK }

In Time Out Room

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Prospect

by Heather Y » Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:14 am

I use chicken sausage in mine, with a baked roux that is easier than standing over the stove, stirring, and stirring!

If you would like me to share my formula with you. Let me know.. I also include Creole Matzoh balls, instead of Rice!
no avatar
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:10 am

Scott Hack wrote:I'm looking for a chicken and sausage gumbo recipe. I'm not a seafood eater. Anyone have something that they swear by?

Scott,

There are probably as many Gumbo recipes out there as there are forum members, so I won't bother to add our recipe to the mix. I did however want to add to what Heather said...Baking a roux is certainly a better option than standing over a hot cast iron skillet for the better part of an hour. We've been using a jarred "Dark Roux" made by "Ragin' Cajun Fixin's" (St. Charles, LA) for several years and are very happy with the results. Basically it's just dark roux in a pint jar and ya can't get any easier than that. I've kept a jar in the fridge for as long as a year with no ill effects.

http://www.ragincajunfoods.com/
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio