Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

Wok recommendation for home use

no avatar
User

JeffD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:04 pm

Louisville

Wok recommendation for home use

by JeffD » Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:46 pm

I'm on the market for a good or excellent quality home wok. We have a gas range. I've heard some people recommend carbon or even cast iron, while others say stainless steel is the way to go. I don't mind spending extra for quaility, but I'm not in the biz and would really only have access to retail or other public sources (unless you have tips there as well). Are terms like "hand hammered" useful or is that just a marketing red herring? What would any of you recommend on the make, or a specific model, or even a place to look?
Are you crazy? The fall will probably kill you. ..... Butch Cassidy
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Wok recommendation for home use

by Robin Garr » Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:06 pm

JeffD wrote:I'm on the market for a good or excellent quality home wok. We have a gas range. I've heard some people recommend carbon or even cast iron, while others say stainless steel is the way to go. I don't mind spending extra for quaility, but I'm not in the biz and would really only have access to retail or other public sources (unless you have tips there as well). Are terms like "hand hammered" useful or is that just a marketing red herring? What would any of you recommend on the make, or a specific model, or even a place to look?

I would go to one of the big Chinese markets and get a simple, basic carbon steel wok. That's what I've got, and it works fine on our gas range. About a billion Chinese can't be wrong!
no avatar
User

Stephen D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:41 am

Lyndon, Ky

by Stephen D » Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:59 am

It's important to avoid non-stick. The carbon heats the best and creates the best hot spot. Ive never tryed cast-iron.

Don't forget to season it first!
Last edited by Stephen D on Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:47 pm

Stephen D wrote:It's important to get non-stick. The carbon heats the best and creates the best hot spot. Ive never tryed cast-iron.

Wait, you don't mean Teflon do you, Stephen? I would be really concerned about subjecting a Teflon surface to wok stir-frying temps. But a well-seasoned wok, like a well-seasoned cast-iron skillet, can be mighty near stick-free.
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:10 pm

I'm with Robin- get a good wok from an imports place, not fancy cooking equipment. I bought mine at Cost-plus Imports ( now World Market ) in California some 20 years ago, and it's still perfect. I have a mega-burner (I think 18.000 BTU's ) on my gas cooktop, and it holds up wonderfully. Just make sure never to put in the dishwasher, and hand-wash right after using. Then oil lightly Inside before putting away.

Deb
no avatar
User

Stephen D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:41 am

Lyndon, Ky

by Stephen D » Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:43 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Stephen D wrote:It's important to get non-stick. The carbon heats the best and creates the best hot spot. Ive never tryed cast-iron.

Wait, you don't mean Teflon do you, Stephen? I would be really concerned about subjecting a Teflon surface to wok stir-frying temps. But a well-seasoned wok, like a well-seasoned cast-iron skillet, can be mighty near stick-free.

OMG! it's funny how the lack of one word screws up meaning. My bad, lol! I will edit it now... :lol: