Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

Duroc pig

no avatar
User

Heather Y

{ RANK }

In Time Out Room

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Prospect

Duroc pig

by Heather Y » Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:49 pm

Anyone in town carry applewood smoked bacon from Duroc pig?
no avatar
User

Jeff T

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:45 pm

Louisville

Re: Duroc pig

by Jeff T » Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:23 pm

Heather
My personal favorite applewood smoked bacon is from Niman Ranch. Google the name for the website. You can see the farmers and they tell you what types of hogs they raise. Most seem to raise a combination of Duroc, Berkshire, Chester White and one called Farmers Hybrid. Hopes this helps.
no avatar
User

Heather Y

{ RANK }

In Time Out Room

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Prospect

by Heather Y » Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:58 pm

I can get it from other web purveyors, however, for some reason they charge like $40.00 bucks for delivery.

Thanks
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:59 am

Heather Y wrote:I can get it from other web purveyors, however, for some reason they charge like $40.00 bucks for delivery.

I may be wrong about this, Heather, but I think I've seen Niman Ranch products at either Whole Foods or Fresh Market. Not sure about the Duroc, though. Is that mandatory?

Also, Preferred Meats in Sellersburg has excellent pork, right up there in quality with its beef. Can't say a thing about the breed of the hogs, but again, if Duroc is not mandatory, you can't go wrong for quality.
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:07 pm

Heather,

Fresh Market does carry the Niman Ranch Applewood smoked bacon. I bought some there two months ago when I went in search of my favorite Nueske's Applewood smoked, which they no longer carry. Personally, the Niman was good, but I didn't find it great....

We love the bacon from Preferred meats. but it doesn't have the "sweet finish" of the Nueske's.FYI: I saw that the new butcher shop in Prospect carries Father's Bacon - which Dan turned me onto at the Bacon Contest.

Deb
no avatar
User

Jeff T

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:45 pm

Louisville

by Jeff T » Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:47 pm

I forgot about Fathers bacon. It is really good, dont know about the type of hog it comes from. It is also a Kentucky product. They sell it at Doll's on Brownsboro road. I wouldn't know where you could get restaurant size orders.Perhaps their website. They have a cinnamon bacon that is really good.