Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

Complex saute question

no avatar
User

Alan Schaefer

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:18 pm

Complex saute question

by Alan Schaefer » Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:37 pm

Greetings all,

I need your insightful expertise on a question. I was just watching Alton Brown (My Hero) in an episode about cooking oils. IN it he gave a demonstration on sauteing. He explained that he liked the straight sided pan to saute with because he can get more in the pan. Here is the part that is causing me trouble. A straight sided pan is known as a sautoir in French, a sloped pan is known as a sauteuse. I was taught that you can only saute in a sauteuse because a sautoir has straight sides that will create a moisture convection which will change the cooking method from a dry to a combination form. The curved sides are necessary to allow moisture to escape from the pan. In addition, I was also taught not to crowd a pan when sauteing. If too much material is in the pan, and it is not all touching the pans surface, then in fact you are also steaming the food by the escaping steam coming from the food actually touching the bottom of the pan. So when you are using a sautoir, are you in fact actually sauteing or not? I know this all seems technical, and can just be a minor point, but I would like to know if my training is accurate. Any insight into this question would be helpful . If I ever get into teaching again, I want to make sure that what I am teaching is correct, especially from the classically French method.
"The more one learns the more one sees the need to learn more and that study,as well as broadening the mind of the craftsman, provides an easy way of perfecting himself in the practice of our art." Auguste Escoffier
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Complex saute question

by Robin Garr » Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:52 am

Alan Schaefer wrote:I was just watching Alton Brown (My Hero) in an episode about cooking oils. IN it he gave a demonstration on sauteing. He explained that he liked the straight sided pan to saute with because he can get more in the pan. Here is the part that is causing me trouble.

Alan, I love Alton Brown too, enough so that Good Eats is the ONLY program I have set to record automatically on my DVR.

But that said, I often see him using procedures that make me scratch my head and go "Huh?" This is one of those cases. Sauteur, sauteuse, saucier schmaucier ... I stick with the traditional saute pan myself, and consider it a multitasker since I can also use it for omelets. :)
no avatar
User

Beth K.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 23, 2007 2:18 pm

by Beth K. » Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:02 pm

I won't profess to know the real answer to this, but I always use a sloped pan for sauteeing. I find that flipping my ingredients is much easier and thus the sauteeing goes much quicker. I like my straight sided pans for simmering things.

I love Alton Brown too, but I have also scratched my head at a few of his statements. I find that all of the foodtv shows often contradict one another on cooking styles and food information.
no avatar
User

David R. Pierce

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:02 pm

by David R. Pierce » Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:55 pm

Beth K. wrote:I won't profess to know the real answer to this, but I always use a sloped pan for sauteeing. I find that flipping my ingredients is much easier and thus the sauteeing goes much quicker. I like my straight sided pans for simmering things.

Ditto, plus flipping looks cooler. :D
Cheers,
David R. Pierce
The Original BBC Brewmaster
Bluegrass Brewing Co.
St. Matthews branch
Craft Brewing Louisville continuously since 1992
no avatar
User

Stephen D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:41 am

Lyndon, Ky

by Stephen D » Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:35 pm

David R. Pierce wrote:
Beth K. wrote:I won't profess to know the real answer to this, but I always use a sloped pan for sauteeing. I find that flipping my ingredients is much easier and thus the sauteeing goes much quicker. I like my straight sided pans for simmering things.

Ditto, plus flipping looks cooler. :D

Haha! :lol:

There is also the tactile pleasure involved. Like the weight of your favorite knife.
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:57 pm

I find that all of the foodtv shows often contradict one another on cooking styles and food information.

:) Made me think of a quote from Anthony Bourdain "No Reservations" last night: He was receiving a massage treatment that was more like a torture treatment , so extremely painful that he would say anything to make is stop...even "Rachel Ray is a great cook". :D :P Thought that was hysterical!

Deb
no avatar
User

Sarita C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:02 am

by Sarita C » Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:55 pm

Alan, I love Alton Brown too, enough so that Good Eats is the ONLY program I have set to record automatically on my DVR.

Ditto on the AB..but sometimes I think his attempt to be through is a little over the top.

Even still...some of his antics keep my eyes trained for opportunities in the grocery store. I've always wanted to cut filet minions out of a tenderloin if the situation ever presents itself. Today...I was in the Highlands Kroger and they had Laura's lean tenderloin for 9.99 a pound in bulk so I decided to try it out. (I've never seen it this way in the store before)

Got the loin...got the episode...got those fancy knives he recommends.

Best,
Sarita