Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

Macaroni and Cheese

no avatar
User

Adrian Baldwin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:29 pm

Louisville, KY

Macaroni and Cheese

by Adrian Baldwin » Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:44 pm

...is my favorite food on this earth, always has been.

But,

...wait for it -------------> I prefer it out of the box. I've had no less than 50 versions of homemade 'Mac n Cheese', and to me, they are all bland in flavor. Even the crappiest powder versions taste better to me than your average bulk/bland homemade Mac N Cheese I find at various functions.

I'm looking for your favorite Mac N Cheese recipes to make at home...............to see if I can find one that I actually enjoy more than the the generic ole Boxed Mac. (always been my guilty pleasure).
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Macaroni and Cheese

by Robin Garr » Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:54 pm

Adrian, here's one I used in the Wine Advisor FoodLetter a few years ago that got lots of compliments from those who tried it. Fool around with different cheeses that you like, although good Cheddar shoudl always be a component. And, if you like, kick up the heat with a little *extra* dry mustard and cayenne, red-pepper flakes or hot sauce.

Upgraded macaroni and cheese
http://www.wineloverspage.com/wineadvis ... 1024.phtml
no avatar
User

Jessica Devine

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:29 pm

Germantown

by Jessica Devine » Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:36 pm

Have no shame, Adrian. I, too, enjoy a good boxed mac and cheese. As a matter of fact, sometimes I even get the Kraft kiddie shapes because the portion is just my size. Yum!

However, I grew up making my Mema's, then my mom's, version of homemade mac and cheese. It's quite simple and easy to make--nothing gourmet about it. If you can find the mini macaroni shells, they work best, but elbow macaroni is okay too. After cooking the pasta and straining it, use the same pan to mix some Velveta (no, it's not cheese but a cheese food--it melts so well), butter or margerine, and milk (I prefer skim) to taste. After the cheese sauce is melted, pour the pasta in and mix. I prefer my mac and cheese a little soupy so I end up adding a little more milk usually. My sister adds potato chips to the top of her dish. You may need to add salt and pepper at the end.

When I was younger, I was actually known for eating so much mac and cheese and my friends called me "Macaroni Queen." :oops:
no avatar
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

by Doogy R » Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:47 pm

Jessica Hardison wrote:Have no shame, Adrian. I, too, enjoy a good boxed mac and cheese. As a matter of fact, sometimes I even get the Kraft kiddie shapes because the portion is just my size. Yum!

However, I grew up making my Mema's, then my mom's, version of homemade mac and cheese. It's quite simple and easy to make--nothing gourmet about it. If you can find the mini macaroni shells, they work best, but elbow macaroni is okay too. After cooking the pasta and straining it, use the same pan to mix some Velveta (no, it's not cheese but a cheese food--it melts so well), butter or margerine, and milk (I prefer skim) to taste. After the cheese sauce is melted, pour the pasta in and mix. I prefer my mac and cheese a little soupy so I end up adding a little more milk usually. My sister adds potato chips to the top of her dish. You may need to add salt and pepper at the end.

When I was younger, I was actually known for eating so much mac and cheese and my friends called me "Macaroni Queen." :oops:

Bacon, add bacon. Bacon makes everything better. Oh, my one lil hint is to top it with those canned fried onion rings.
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
no avatar
User

Alan Schaefer

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:18 pm

by Alan Schaefer » Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:43 pm

When I make the Mac, I usually use several different cheeses. Among those, I like to use pepperjack as well as adding a little cream to give that extra nape I like. If I am using the mac as a side to a poultry dish, I give it a little bit of chicken base, if for a meat dish, beef base, and if for a vegetarian dish, then a little bit of veggie base. I feel like it adds a subtle flavor that doesn't overpower, but lends itself to enhancing the main dish.
"The more one learns the more one sees the need to learn more and that study,as well as broadening the mind of the craftsman, provides an easy way of perfecting himself in the practice of our art." Auguste Escoffier
no avatar
User

Jeff T

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:45 pm

Louisville

by Jeff T » Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:52 pm

For a quick semi homemade version that I like just cook up some elbows and mix in some canned zesty nacho cheese sauce from the mexican food isle. It you want to get fancy toss some bread crumbs in melted butter, sprinkle on top then brown in the broiler. I have to admit that I too also like the Kraft Mac-n-Cheese. Some how powdered cheese seems to work.
no avatar
User

John Hagan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:38 pm

SPENCER CO. Lake Wazzapamani

by John Hagan » Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:56 am

Adrian Baldwin wrote: I prefer it out of the box. I've had no less than 50 versions of homemade 'Mac n Cheese', and to me, they are all bland in flavor. Even the crappiest powder versions taste better to me than your average bulk/bland homemade Mac N Cheese I find at various functions..

I wonder if you put some cheese in a food dehydrator and then used it make homemade if it would appeal more to you? Just a thought.
The tall one wants white toast, dry, with nothin' on it.
And the short one wants four whole fried chickens, and a Coke.
no avatar
User

Bob Peters

{ RANK }

Just got here

Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:41 am

by Bob Peters » Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:03 pm

I felt the same way, until i made this.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/neelys/macaroni-and-cheese-recipe/index.html

It is wonderful. A little time consuming but worth it. If you do make it, let me know what you think!
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

by GaryF » Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:42 pm

Bob Peters wrote:I felt the same way, until i made this.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/neelys/macaroni-and-cheese-recipe/index.html

It is wonderful. A little time consuming but worth it. If you do make it, let me know what you think!

Bacon, potato chips, and three and a half cups of cheese- how could it possibly be bad?
Query: what is the best cardiac hospital in town? :wink:
no avatar
User

Beth K.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 23, 2007 2:18 pm

by Beth K. » Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:06 pm

I hear you Adrian. Since I've been pregnant, Kraft original mac n cheese is actually one of my crave foods. Sometimes it's the only thing I can eat.

Pre-preggers it was velveeta shells and cheese all the way. I don't know what it is about that processed orange stuff, it's just so comforting.
no avatar
User

Daniel Raines

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:21 pm

by Daniel Raines » Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:18 pm

Don't have a recipe I use. I tend to always cook by feel, but my latest mac n cheese involves a mixture of sharp cheddar, Father's smoked cheddar and topped with a mixture of parmesan and cheez-it crackers. Pretty good but needs refining.