Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

Vegan Soup Ideas

no avatar
User

Michele Cull

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:44 am

Original Highlands

Vegan Soup Ideas

by Michele Cull » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:29 am

We have one on our group trip this weekend that is vegan. I would like to put some effort (or look like I did) into making a soup that would make her feel welcome but would not turn off the meat eaters. Any ideas??

MissChele
MissChele
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Vegan Soup Ideas

by Robin Garr » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:39 am

Michele Cull wrote:We have one on our group trip this weekend that is vegan. I would like to put some effort (or look like I did) into making a soup that would make her feel welcome but would not turn off the meat eaters. Any ideas?

Meatless minestrone with lots of veggies and lots of chickpeas and soup pasta? That should be filling and robust and not offend the carnivores. :)
no avatar
User

amy lyons

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:29 pm

Highlands

by amy lyons » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:11 am

One of my all time favorites is French Lentil Soup with Tarragon. This soup has always satisfied both the pro and no meat eaters in our family.
"All I ask of food is that it doesn't harm me."
Michael Palin
no avatar
User

Stephen D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:41 am

Lyndon, Ky

by Stephen D » Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:14 pm

I just had an idea...

What about a butternut squash soup that uses tofu in place of the cream? Soft press, methinks. Blended. Toasted pecan/ walnut garnish. Bacon lardons/ bits to the side for the carnivores. Chineese Five spice.

My only concern is that it could break. If you wanted to try it, I could lend you some soy lecithen to make sure it emulsifies.
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

by GaryF » Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:12 pm

I have been making soups for the last few years using a heavy veg stock and a potato for binding and richness- I never use cream anymore. I've used roasted squash, parsnips (sometimes with apple or pear), and my favorite- celery root. If you make a batch that is seasoned lightly you can then divide it into smaller batches and season with curry or herbs or chilis etc. A salad and good bread is all you need with it.
no avatar
User

Michele Cull

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:44 am

Original Highlands

by Michele Cull » Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:48 pm

Thanks! These all sound yummy!! I may even have to try two. I'll check my larder and see what I have...

MissChele
MissChele
no avatar
User

Alan Schaefer

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:18 pm

by Alan Schaefer » Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:50 pm

I agree on the butternut squash soup. It tastes really good when you roast the pieces instead of boiling them, keeps the nutrition value a little higher as well. To thicken the soup, take about a third of the squash and puree it along with the mirepoix, add it back to the soup and you have a really rich flavor. Btw, you can actually make a roux using any fat, including olive oil. That way you have a thickener that is also vegan. Good luck
"The more one learns the more one sees the need to learn more and that study,as well as broadening the mind of the craftsman, provides an easy way of perfecting himself in the practice of our art." Auguste Escoffier
no avatar
User

Jeff T

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:45 pm

Louisville

by Jeff T » Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:24 pm

I dont think you can go wrong with tomato bisque. Thickened with highly overcooked rice instead of cream.I think the rice thickening is the traditional method as opposed to heavy cream. You can oven roast the tomatoes with garlic and thyme for a more intense flavor. I always use a foodmill to pulverize the tomatoes. I think it does a better job than a stick blender although it is much more time consuming. I like to serve a garlic and fennel dusted cruton atop each bowl of soup.