Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.
no avatar
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

Re: Fans of HOT THINGS: Leah, Tom H., Robin, Gary F., Etc...

by Doogy R » Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:08 pm

Beth T wrote:
Doogy R wrote:
By the way, the habanero lost its crown as the hottest pepper in the world. Here is the new king.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naga_Jolokia

The Naga Jolokia has been a hot topic (yeah, I said it) at work recently and I want to get my paws on one. Does anyone know a source in Louisville?

BTW, Doogy R, have you seen this entertaining Naga Jolokia video?:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zXPRw6QTyc

That was funny. He actually did well. I inquired at the Indian grocery by me about the Naga Jolokia pepper and they hadn't even heard of it.
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
no avatar
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:13 pm

There are a few ways to buy them on eBay. If anyone does buy some dried ones - I'd pay a pretty penny.....hey, WAIT a minute!!

I'm going to bid on a lot of these peppers on eBay! Who would be interested in taking some of them off my hands? Should I buy whole dried ones or the seeds for spring or maybe the already-bottled-in-hot-sauce version?
Marsha Lynch
LEO columnist, free range cook/food writer/food stylist
no avatar
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:04 pm

Wow! We bought some more Wicked Hot. This time we mixed it with lime juice, sour cream and shredded cheddar to make a dip.

Still CRAZY hot. Yum/yikes/yummy!
Marsha Lynch
no avatar
User

Mandy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:41 pm

Old Louisville

by Mandy R » Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:09 pm

Ok I will have to get down there asap to try this out... It was pretty funny, some of the guys at work misjudged me apparently last week, they thought it would be comical to dare me to put a few drops of Dave's Insanity on my tongue and not make any facial expression or reaction. I waited about a minute, smiled, took their cash and walked out of the room lol.
no avatar
User

Mandy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:41 pm

Old Louisville

by Mandy R » Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:51 pm

Well I went to Liquor Barn in search of brandied cherries and found the Wicked Hot! Oh I am a very happy person right now, this stuff is fantastic (I'm sitting here munching on chips and salsa as I check my email). Thanks for the recommendation, I will have to certainly go get some more soon as I'm sure this container won't last too long :D

At least I won't need to take the allergy medicine that I was about to swallow, my sinuses are clear now!
no avatar
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:25 am

Beth T wrote:
Doogy R wrote:
By the way, the habanero lost its crown as the hottest pepper in the world. Here is the new king.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naga_Jolokia

The Naga Jolokia has been a hot topic (yeah, I said it) at work recently and I want to get my paws on one. Does anyone know a source in Louisville?

BTW, Doogy R, have you seen this entertaining Naga Jolokia video?:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zXPRw6QTyc

I was considering growing a couple of Bhut Jolokia plants this year but (A) decided the local growing season might not be long enough and (B) that other than "bragging rights" there is really no legitimate use for a pepper this hot. That being said If there are any forum members experienced with <eh-hem> indoor cultivation and who have a "burning desire" to impress their friends or kill their enemies here is a link where you can purchase plants online.

http://www.chileplants.com/
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
no avatar
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Steve P » Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:18 pm

Marsha L. wrote:There are a few ways to buy them on eBay. If anyone does buy some dried ones - I'd pay a pretty penny.....hey, WAIT a minute!!

I'm going to bid on a lot of these peppers on eBay! Who would be interested in taking some of them off my hands? Should I buy whole dried ones or the seeds for spring or maybe the already-bottled-in-hot-sauce version?

Marsha,

Jungle Jim's carries at least one brand of hot sauce that contains Bhut Jolokia (aka Nada Jolokia). I can't recall the exact name of the product but it does have the word "Jolokia: in the name.

I've not yet tried the "Wicked" salsa but will at the earliest opportunity. BTW, if it's heat...and heat alone...you are after then you might consider "Dave's Insanity" Salsa. Most of "Dave's" products contain capsaicin extract which produces "insane" heat but no flavor in and of itself (I'm not a big fan of extract based sauces/salsas).

I've been collecting hot sauces for years (100+ bottles and counting) and until recently had maintained a file with reviews of all the products I'd tried. Unfortunately a recent computer crash took my reviews with it but one hot sauce I have always had high regard for is Melinda's Red Savina hot sauce. It's about the hottest stuff out there that still maintains some semblance of flavor and doesn't contain "extract". I like to add a little bit of this stuff to my favorite salsas and create my own version of "Wicked".
no avatar
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:42 pm

Nah, there's tons of flavor. I'm not seeing any extract listed in the ingredients, either. Just good old habaneros and jalapenos.

Oh, and to remind everyone again - they sell powdered habanero at Creation, if you need to kick something up in a hurry without handling the peppers.
Marsha Lynch
no avatar
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Steve P » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:16 am

Marsha L. wrote:Nah, there's tons of flavor. I'm not seeing any extract listed in the ingredients, either. Just good old habaneros and jalapenos.

Oh, and to remind everyone again - they sell powdered habanero at Creation, if you need to kick something up in a hurry without handling the peppers.

Marsha,

I think you misunderstood. I wasn't saying that "Wicked" contained extracts but I do think the "Dave's Insanity" I mentioned does...at least that is my recollection. Always in the market for all things hot I'll have to give the "Wicked" a try.
no avatar
User

John Hagan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:38 pm

SPENCER CO. Lake Wazzapamani

by John Hagan » Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:11 pm

I found a product the other day that might appeal to you hot lovers. The jar reads Alpino Brand Spicy Pizza Topping. This is made by the Puckered Pickle Company out of Chicago. http://www.puckeredpickle.com . I thought this was going to be a giardiniera more or less,which I guess it is,but the veggies are a really fine dice in an oil. The giardiniera I am used to does have a kick to it, but is more in the vinegar/pickle end of the spectrum plus the veggies are big enough to see what they are. This stuff has good flavor though,just a bit too hot. Ingredients...olives,pure soybean oil,peppers,celery,carrots,cauliflower, and seasonings. This is suggested as an alternative to those shakers of red pepper flakes many folks shake on their pizza.Obviously many other applications for something like this. I do make a pizza from a recipe from the Zambelli family they call Fireworks Pizza, basically a simple marinara sauce with a good giardiniera on it and a bit of cheese. If anybody wants that recipe Ill post it.
The tall one wants white toast, dry, with nothin' on it.
And the short one wants four whole fried chickens, and a Coke.
no avatar
User

Tom Holstein

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:55 am

Derby City :)

by Tom Holstein » Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:29 pm

John Hagan wrote:I found a product the other day that might appeal to you hot lovers. The jar reads Alpino Brand Spicy Pizza Topping. This is made by the Puckered Pickle Company out of Chicago. http://www.puckeredpickle.com . I thought this was going to be a giardiniera more or less,which I guess it is,but the veggies are a really fine dice in an oil. The giardiniera I am used to does have a kick to it, but is more in the vinegar/pickle end of the spectrum plus the veggies are big enough to see what they are. This stuff has good flavor though,just a bit too hot. Ingredients...olives,pure soybean oil,peppers,celery,carrots,cauliflower, and seasonings. This is suggested as an alternative to those shakers of red pepper flakes many folks shake on their pizza.Obviously many other applications for something like this. I do make a pizza from a recipe from the Zambelli family they call Fireworks Pizza, basically a simple marinara sauce with a good giardiniera on it and a bit of cheese. If anybody wants that recipe Ill post it.

Thanks for the report John.

Love to have the Fireworks Pizza recipe. :D
no avatar
User

Tom Holstein

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:55 am

Derby City :)

by Tom Holstein » Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:43 pm

John Hagan wrote:I found a product the other day that might appeal to you hot lovers.

Forgot to ask.......did you purchase locally? Online ?
no avatar
User

John Hagan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:38 pm

SPENCER CO. Lake Wazzapamani

by John Hagan » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:09 pm

Tom Holstein wrote:Forgot to ask.......did you purchase locally? Online ?

As much as hate to admit it, I picked it up at Meijer. I normally never go there, but I needed to pick something up in a hurry and was just passing by. It just happened to catch my eye as I was going by.
The tall one wants white toast, dry, with nothin' on it.
And the short one wants four whole fried chickens, and a Coke.
no avatar
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Steve P » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:30 pm

John Hagan wrote:
Tom Holstein wrote:Forgot to ask.......did you purchase locally? Online ?

As much as hate to admit it, I picked it up at Meijer. I normally never go there, but I needed to pick something up in a hurry and was just passing by. It just happened to catch my eye as I was going by.

Passing by ?...On your way to the Liquor Barn perchance. :P 8)
no avatar
User

David O.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:52 am

Louisville

by David O. » Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:27 am

John Hagan wrote: Ingredients...olives,pure soybean oil,peppers,celery,carrots,cauliflower, and seasonings.

It's nice to see the absence of sugar, definitely going to try it. But, I don't want to go to meijer's. :cry:
David O.
PreviousNext