Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.
no avatar
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

Fans of HOT THINGS: Leah, Tom H., Robin, Gary F., Etc...

by Marsha L. » Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:03 pm

Dateline Valu Market, Mid City Mall, Highlands:

John and I love high-velocity hot-things, too, but this stuff was ridiculous. Like we both had to eat two slices of bread with butter and still ate more of it and then ate more bread and butter to counter-act-it-hot: Garden-Fresh-Gourmet Screamin' Hot Wicked Hot Salsa All Natural America's #1 Award Winning Salsa.

Yes, that's a lot of adjectives. But most of all it's really, really hot and really really fruity and worth it. Have plenty of bread on hand to quench the fire. Water or beer or wine won't do. But you heat lovers will love it. It lists cilantro, cane sugar, garlic, jalapeno and habeneros as ingredients. I AM NOT JOKING ABOUT THE HEAT.

http://www.gardenfreshsalsa.com

GET SOME!
Marsha Lynch
LEO columnist, free range cook/food writer/food stylist
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Fans of HOT THINGS: Leah, Tom H., Robin, Gary F., Etc...

by Robin Garr » Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:23 pm

Marsha L. wrote:Have plenty of bread on hand to quench the fire. Water or beer or wine won't do.

Dairy. Dairy is the secret. Yogurt, sour cream, Thai iced coffee with condensed milk or cream; the Indian yogurt drink called lassi ... even a tall glass of Grade A. Nothing is better for quenching the fire. There's a chemical explanation for this, but I'd have to look it up.

Thanks for the tip though, Marsha. I am so there!
no avatar
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

by Doogy R » Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:36 pm

I am a chili head and Robin is correct, dairy is the key to cool. Butter is surely a dairy product and I believe bread is a good way to scrub the capsaicin from your tongue. Water and other non-dairy beverages just wash the capsaicin over the taste buds actually intensifying the heat effect. Dairy coats the buds and helps to move the capsaicin away, therefore providing some relief from the pain. The thing is, pain is a good thing in this case being as the brain will start to produce opiate like endorphins that also help with the pain. Ah, opiates, legal opiates.

I actually have a nice pepper shelf someone made me years ago.

P4290052.JPG

P4290054.JPG

P4290055.JPG

I have many more peppers and sauces. I just wanted to show a small sampling. I also hadn't gotten totally moved into my new place when I took these pix. Marsha, thanks for the info about the new hot sauce.

By the way, the habanero lost its crown as the hottest pepper in the world. Here is the new king.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naga_Jolokia

And for those who do not know how pepper heat is measured.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scoville
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

by GaryF » Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:55 am

Thanks Marsha- I will definately make it to the Highlands in a day or two.
I was told years ago by a Thai friend that sucking on citrus works for heat too- it's worked for me the few times I've remembered to try it. Perhaps it's the shock of the sour on top of the heat, who knows?
Bring on the Scovilles.
no avatar
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:19 pm

Just tonight finished making 12 pints of habanero sauce. Brutal. Not sure how I'm going to market it to my friends such that they'll accept it!
no avatar
User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:32 pm

38 degrees 25' 25' N 85 degrees 36' 2' W

by Ed Vermillion » Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:47 pm

I would say you have very lucky friends, Todd!
no avatar
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:32 pm

mmm . . .I will definitely have to try it.

I got some crazy hot Mongolian noodles last week. Chose the Red Pepper Hot and Spicy sauce and asked for an extra spoon of the hot sauce. Firey! yum
no avatar
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

by Doogy R » Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:32 pm

TP Lowe wrote:Just tonight finished making 12 pints of habanero sauce. Brutal. Not sure how I'm going to market it to my friends such that they'll accept it!

That sounds absolutely yummo.
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
no avatar
User

Stephen D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:41 am

Lyndon, Ky

by Stephen D » Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:00 pm

Leah s wrote:mmm . . .I will definitely have to try it.

I got some crazy hot Mongolian noodles last week. Chose the Red Pepper Hot and Spicy sauce and asked for an extra spoon of the hot sauce. Firey! yum

That's what it's about. Getting a spicy dish and then adding just enough hot sauce. Just enough to break a sweat, but not enough to render it unpalatable. It's like riding the line between genius and insanity, tee- hee! :lol:
no avatar
User

Tom Holstein

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:55 am

Derby City :)

by Tom Holstein » Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:39 am

Thanks for the "heads up" on this one Marsha.

After seven days and seven hours without power :evil: we're cooled off and ready to try some edible heat. :D
no avatar
User

Jackie R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:48 pm

Highlands

by Jackie R. » Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:40 pm

I have tried that and think I said something to someone about the heat at the time, too. Nicely hot.

My problem with all of their salsas is the sugar. I don't like all that sweet juice in my salsa! But I do love some heat. Some recipes heat it up with garlic, and flavor it up with salt, and that to me is no good, either. Gotta run, I'm suddenly inspired to go out in search of some peppery hot salsa...
no avatar
User

Jackie R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands

by Jackie R. » Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:48 pm

Oooh, I just thought of something funny/strange. Famous Daves has some seriously hot chili. I've eaten it twice (we order from there at work often) - first time spicy, second time really spicy. Maybe the recipe was off kilter the second time, but seriously, I would never guess such heat from a franchise that big - no warning or anything. And it was darn tasty, too, with big chunks and darkish-non-gravy-like broth. I'll be ordering it again in hopes that the second spicy is standard. Good thing it's a healthy decision, right? Right?
no avatar
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:54 pm

Jackie R. wrote:Oooh, I just thought of something funny/strange. Famous Daves has some seriously hot chili. I've eaten it twice (we order from there at work often) - first time spicy, second time really spicy. Maybe the recipe was off kilter the second time, but seriously, I would never guess such heat from a franchise that big - no warning or anything. And it was darn tasty, too, with big chunks and darkish-non-gravy-like broth. I'll be ordering it again in hopes that the second spicy is standard. Good thing it's a healthy decision, right? Right?

Jackie, make sure you take Sunday October 12th off for the Phoenix Hill Chili Cook-Off. I'm drafting you as one of my helpers in the Lou Lou Booth.

The drinking begins at 8:30 A.M., so bring your stamina.

Boo-Yah!
Marsha Lynch
no avatar
User

Jackie R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands

by Jackie R. » Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:59 pm

Oh Oh Oh!!! Are you serious???!!! Can we dress up? *marking calendar right now*

I will NOT dissappoint.
no avatar
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:03 pm

Jackie R. wrote:Oh Oh Oh!!! Are you serious???!!! Can we dress up? *marking calendar right now*

I will NOT dissappoint.

I am writing you down right now. Bring your drinkin' britches. There are costume prizes and booth-decoratin' prizes.

No drinking-prowess prizes, except my frank admiration. I am usually in the bag by two, little mini-nap in the truck for a half-hour, then I'm good for the judging and the after-party/dance in the Saloon.

You are down. In INK.
Marsha Lynch
Next