Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

Quick question about vinegars.

no avatar
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

Quick question about vinegars.

by Doogy R » Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:36 pm

If a recipe calls for red wine vinegar is it ok to substitute with balsamic vinegar?
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Quick question about vinegars.

by Robin Garr » Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:40 pm

Doogy R wrote:If a recipe calls for red wine vinegar is it ok to substitute with balsamic vinegar?

Define "ok", Doogy. I'm sure the recipe would work, but balsamic has such a bold flavor that it seems to me this substitution would change the character of the recipe.

But here's a trick that DOES work: Take 1 measure of white vinegar or rice wine vinegar and whisk in 1/2 to 1 measure of dry red wine, tasting as you go. This results in a mix that's close enough to use even in salads as well as cooking.
no avatar
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

by Doogy R » Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:50 pm

I was thinking the same thing about how much stronger of a taste the balsamic would be than the red wine vinegar. Some dishes could handle it but I think what I'm making won't so I'll just use the red wine vinegar. Thanks for the tip.
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
no avatar
User

Nancy Inman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:37 am

The Country

by Nancy Inman » Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:52 pm

It isn't as quick as your fix Robin, but I make killer red wine vinegar. Using a bottle of off the shelf red wine vinegar, add it to that 1/2 bottle, or more, of red wine you didn't drink for supper. Don't cork it-cover it with several layers of cheese cloth and secure with a rubber band. Set it in the dark for 2-3 weeks. You can add more wine any time. It so much better than any regular red wine vinegar I have ever bought. I am going to try the same process with sherry.
Nancy Inman
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:56 pm

Nancy Inman wrote:It isn't as quick as your fix Robin, but I make killer red wine vinegar. Using a bottle of off the shelf red wine vinegar, add it to that 1/2 bottle, or more, of red wine you didn't drink for supper. Don't cork it-cover it with several layers of cheese cloth and secure with a rubber band. Set it in the dark for 2-3 weeks. You can add more wine any time. It so much better than any regular red wine vinegar I have ever bought. I am going to try the same process with sherry.

Oooohhh! I'm trying that soon, Nancy. Thanks!

As you likely discerned, my quick-fix doesn't make the equivalent of high-end red wine vinegar, but it does work, and there are times when any workable solution is better than none. :oops:
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:46 am

Nancy,

That's a great idea! I've gotten very spoiled using (sparingly) excellent Volpaia red wine vinegar($14.00 for 8 oz retail, and well worth it). But my supply is almost gone, and having a good red wine vinegar to use in quantity. (like in a marinade) would be wonderful!

What varietal of red do you use?

DEb