Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

Flat Iron Steak

no avatar
User

anthonys

{ RANK }

Just got here

Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:00 pm

Louisville

Flat Iron Steak

by anthonys » Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:10 pm

This weekend I am cooking(at a tailgate) for about 30 people. I have only cooked Flat Iron once before and it was great but I don't have time to sear each one individually. I'll be cooking on the grill(propane/ large grill surface). They will be cut up for fajitas as an end result.

I am thinking since it seems to have a great beefy flavor to just play off that with some sea salt, cracked pepper and maybe a little cayenne to add spice.

Probably go with a solid Medium rare -> Medium to satisfy most. I am sure we'll have a few in the crowd that request well done. I guess they can eat chicken. :D

Any other easy suggestions? Remember this is for a large crowd and not in my kitchen so the difficulty needs to be pretty low, even though we have a pretty elaborate tailgate.
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

Re: Flat Iron Steak

by Deb Hall » Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:16 pm

Anthony,

Is there a reason why you want to use Flat Iron steaks for fajitas instead of another cut? The Flat Irons are great, but the traditional cut for fajitas would be skirt steak (or flank steak) and it's a lot cheaper for a crowd than Flat Iron steak. Or are you envisioning something other than a tradition fajita (with grilled peppers/ onions/etc)?

I marinate my fajita meat (whole) in a large ziplock overnight: rmakes it really easy to transport and tailgate.

Deb
no avatar
User

anthonys

{ RANK }

Just got here

Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:00 pm

Louisville

by anthonys » Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:38 pm

I have connection that is "supplying" the tailgate. He can get flat iron. If I was paying for it I'd be using something else.
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:23 pm

Ahhh....The lightbulb goes on. I'd be using Flat Iron too if it was free. :D

For your spices, I really like your idea, but also consider a suggestion: Chef Howerton's Smokey Steak rub. A local product, I think it's an excellent all-purpose steak rub, and while I haven't tried it on Flat Iron, I think it'd be great. I know they carry it at Corbett's ( I believe they use it on their steaks there) and other places around town.

Deb