Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

Stuffed Turkey?

no avatar
User

Tom Holstein

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:55 am

Derby City :)

Stuffed Turkey?

by Tom Holstein » Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:15 am

In our Louisville Restaurants Forum thread on White Castle Marsha wrote:

"The recipe as it was given to me had instructions to stuff the cavity of the turkey and did not include eggs, but after taking sanitation courses in school I can no longer condone cooking stuffing within the bird (yuk!)"

I dearly love a stuffed turkey. A couple 3 or 4 years ago I saw something on Food Network TV (when it was still, somewhat about cooking) about stuffing your bird with dressing microwaved to >165F. Supposedly it was safe as the stuffing would reach proper temp without drying out meat to get there.

I've hot stuffed mine the past few years without ill results. I've noticed Turduckens are stuffed and seem to be quite a mass to heat thoroughly to safe temps.

Any advice/experiences would be much appreciated.
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

Re: Stuffed Turkey?

by Deb Hall » Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:24 pm

Tom,
Long before I'd taken food safety courses, we'd discovered this way to create turkey stuffing - without stuffing a turkey. :wink: I make the stuffing ahead of time and place in a large covered casserole, then top with the neck, moisten with extra turkey broth and cover. This goes in the oven with the turkey at the same temperature. I check regularly and add additional turkey broth or drippings off the cooking turkey as needed to keep it moist, cooking until the turkey neck is fully cooked and the stuffing is the desired consistency.

Deb