Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

Wild Caught Shrimp

no avatar
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

Wild Caught Shrimp

by Steve P » Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:17 pm

All,

We were out "exploring" this afternoon and stopped into a local seafood shop. While we were looking around I asked the owner if the shrimp on display were "Wild Caught". I was informed that "no, they were farm raised". When I asked about the availability of wild caught (specifically "Gulf" shrimp) I was told that ALL shrimp sold in Louisville were farm raised (something was said to the effect that it is illegal to import non-frozen shrimp into KY). A couple of miles down the road we stopped into the Fresh Market and the shrimp in the display case were labeled "Wild Caught" American Shrimp. When I asked the person behind the counter about the source of the shrimp he confirmed that they were indeed (previously frozen) wild caught Shrimp from the Gulf of Mexico. So...which is it ? Can a person buy NON-farm raised shrimp in Louisville or not ?
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
no avatar
User

Gayle DeM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:42 pm

Re: Wild Caught Shrimp

by Gayle DeM » Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:36 pm

Steve,

The only shrimp I buy are the "wild caught" from Fresh Market. Next time I will ask to look at the tag! They are delicious however.

See you on the 14th!

Gaylw
"I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian" -Erma Bombeck
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:44 pm

Steve P wrote:he confirmed that they were indeed (previously frozen) wild caught Shrimp from the Gulf of Mexico. So...which is it ? Can a person buy NON-farm raised shrimp in Louisville or not ?

Sure, but they'll have been frozen. Not a particularly bad thing, or at least we're very used to it. Fresh shrimp don't keep long at all, which is why most commercial shrimp not sold at ports is frozen before shipment. As I understand it.
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:56 pm

John,

In my experience, the shrimp sold in the case in Louisville (and most other inland cities) was sold frozen wholesale. and just thawed by the retailer. ( In some places, they literally open the same package you would buy in the freezer case, and put it in their case). Thus the fresh looking shrimp is not truly fresh.

With today's flash freeze technology, the quality of frozen is usually excellent. For the highest quality, I always recommend buying packaged, frozen product and thawing it yourself (that way you control how long it sits). So I think what you are looking for is frozen, wild caught shrimp, which you should be able to buy at Costco amongst others....

Deb
no avatar
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Steve P » Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:14 am

Robin Garr wrote:
Steve P wrote:he confirmed that they were indeed (previously frozen) wild caught Shrimp from the Gulf of Mexico. So...which is it ? Can a person buy NON-farm raised shrimp in Louisville or not ?

Sure, but they'll have been frozen. Not a particularly bad thing, or at least we're very used to it. Fresh shrimp don't keep long at all, which is why most commercial shrimp not sold at ports is frozen before shipment. As I understand it.

Our thing is not so much that the shrimp (or other seafood) has been previously frozen, rather it's the source of the product that we're interested in determining. Besides our desire to support American fishermen we just find (any kind of) wild caught seafood to be much more flavorful than the farm raised stuff flown in from Viet-Na-Bangla-Thailand. I just found it a bit odd that a local businessman would tell me categorically that there were NO wild caught shrimp available in Louisville and then I drive down the street and find out that (apparently) that is not the case. No big deal.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:21 am

Steve P wrote:Our thing is not so much that the shrimp (or other seafood) has been previously frozen, rather it's the source of the product that we're interested in determining. Besides our desire to support American fishermen we just find (any kind of) wild caught seafood to be much more flavorful than the farm raised stuff flown in from Viet-Na-Bangla-Thailand. I just found it a bit odd that a local businessman would tell me categorically that there were NO wild caught shrimp available in Louisville and then I drive down the street and find out that (apparently) that is not the case. No big deal.

It's an interesting question, Steve, and now that you ask it, I would like to have the answer, too.

I can tell you that Seafood Connection in St. Matthews (the Chenoweth Square shopping center just north of Shelbyville Road at Chenoweth Lane) often has Alabama shrimp, and the folks there should be able to give you competent answers to your questions. Ditto Highland Seafood in Middletown, north side of US 60 just a bit east of Evergreen.

Stan's Fish Sandwich in St. Matthews (just east of Lotsa Pasta) just about always has frozen fish in a freezer case. I'm virtually certain that it's always US-sourced and, I would hope, wild-caught, and if Stan or Leila is on the premises, they can tell you for certain.

Whole Foods in St. Matthews also has a competent fish department, although I like to support the locals when I can.
no avatar
User

Gary Hirsch

{ RANK }

Just got here

Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:41 pm

Louisville, KY

by Gary Hirsch » Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:08 am

Hi Steve,

Thanks for you visit and our 20 minute conversation we had in my store yesterday. It was a pleasure to meet you and your wife.

I feel the need to address some of your concerns and misunderstandings.

"I just found it a bit odd that a local businessman would tell me categorically that there were NO wild caught shrimp available in Louisville and then I drive down the street and find out that (apparently) that is not the case. No big deal."

When you asked for "Fresh Wild Caught Shrimp from the States" I replied to you, that " NO one in Louisville carries FRESH Wild Caught Domestic Shrimp". At that point when I was asked, where is our Shrimp is from? I went over to the Freezer where I pulled out one of our bags and showed you that they were from Bangladesh. I also stated that "what you see in our case is the same as what is in our freezer". We carry 12 different sizes and types ( EZ Peel, Raw, Peeled and Deveined and Cooked, Peeled and Deveined. I also stated to you and your wife that we do not carry domestic shrimp. We went no further on that conversation. Let me explain... We do not carry domestic Shrimp due to the sizing process by experience. I just left The Fresh Market after reading this thread, purchased 1 lb of "Wild American Brand" from Louisiana ( Frozen, Brown, Not White) Shrimp labeled 16/20 count and received 24 pieces! This is the reason I will NOT carry a domestic Shrimp. If you pay for a 16/20 ct, you should receive 16/20 pieces!

“Can a person buy NON-farm raised shrimp in Louisville or not ?”

YES, you can buy Non-Farm Raised Domestic Shrimp in Louisville!!! It will be previously frozen, chances are it will be off in the count and chances are it will be brown and not white. It is NOT available at Highland Fish Market. I will not carry such an item that is normally labelled wrong.

“something was said to the effect that it is illegal to import non-frozen shrimp into KY”

I stated to you ” It is not a legal practice for me to purchase from a Non-HACCP approved vender”.

Below is why I ONLY purchase from HACCP approved vendors. I will NOT buy from trucks off the street!

This is how I protect my customers!

HACCP: The Foundation for Safe Seafood

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is the federal agency responsible for regulating all domestic and imported seafood, including fish, shellfish, and crustaceans,

as well as exotic items like sea cucumbers, dried jellyfish, and alligators. In 1997, the FDA enacted a new regulation, “Procedures for the Safe and Sanitary

Processing and Importing of Fish and Fishery Products” commonly known as the seafood HACCP (pronounced “Hass’-sip”) regulation. The impetus for the regulation

was safety concerns raised by the number of illnesses and outbreaks related to seafood consumption. To better protect consumer health, it requires seafood processors to

identify potential food safety hazards and put controls in place that will prevent, eliminate, or reduce those hazards to acceptable levels. Focused strictly on the seafood

wholesale sector, the regulation broadly defines “processing” and “processors” to include dealers, importers, and in some cases, harvesters. The regulation is based on the principles of

HACCP, an acronym that refers to two of the principles, Hazard Analysis, and Critical Control Point. HACCP is a food safety management program that first identifies and evaluates the risk of biological, chemical, or physical food safety hazards that may be associated with a particular

species of fish or seafood product. Preventative critical controls are then established at key points in the process to minimize the likelihood that the identified

hazards will develop. Safe or “critical” limits are placed as boundaries on the critical control points, which are then monitored and records kept. These limits, which might

involve time, temperature, pH, harvest location, no detectable metal, or the maximum thickness of a fish patty, work alone or in combination with other limits to control potential food safety hazards that are “reasonably likely to occur.” Monitoring of these limits on a routine

basis indicates whether or not food safety is in “control”. If there is a deviation from a critical limit, then predetermined steps or actions included in the HACCP plan enable the processor to quickly identify and isolate any potentially-compromised product and correct the problem.

Steve,

I understand your concerns and hope I have addressed them to your satisfaction. You may contact me via our website at http://www.highlandfish.com or feel free to call anytime 502-254-3474.

Thanks,

Gary Hirsch
Highland Fish Market
"True freedom takes place in the spirit. Many will try 2 shackle that spirit, 4 many have none of their own." TAFKAP
no avatar
User

Jesse Hendrix-Inman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri May 16, 2008 11:22 am

Schnitzelburg

by Jesse Hendrix-Inman » Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:28 pm

This is not in Louisville, but my mom likes to drive to Bloomington when the shrimp truck is there. It's about 2 hours away. They drive shrimp up from the Gulf in coolers and sell them in the parking lot at Bloomingfoods East. I'm not a big shrimp person, but people go nuts over these. You could probably call Bloomingfoods to learn more: http://www.bloomingfoods.coop/

Or why not try some Kentucky freshwater prawns? link: http://villevoiceeats.com/2008/09/05/sh ... /#more-290
no avatar
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

by Doogy R » Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:42 pm

I was searching the web for Cajun delights and found this place. The shrimp lovers on the forum may want to check it out. Actually, everyone might. The quality looks good and the prices are great.

http://www.cajungrocer.com/
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
no avatar
User

Gayle DeM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:42 pm

by Gayle DeM » Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:41 pm

Steve, when I went fresh wild shrimp for a special occasion, say Christmas or a son's birthday, I order fresh wild shrimp from Farm-2-market http://www.farm-2-market.com/ When I order, I receive the wild-heads on Louisiana Shrimp within 24-36 hours. The shrimp is quite large averaging better than 12 to a pound and oh so tasty AND the stock made from the heads and shells beats all seafood stock I've ever had.

On a second note, the seafood guides published by the Monterey Bay Aquarium says to avoid all imported shrimp, both farmed and wild. http://www.mbayaq.org/cr/SeafoodWatch.asp

Thirdly, I will admit that size of the Fresh Market wild shrimp to vary a bit, although I have never ended up with a mere 24 in any pound I bought. The last time I bought a pound of that shrimp, I had thirteen pieces. Those are my everyday shrimp and I find them quite tasty and most of the time within the supposed count per pound.

By the way, I am in love with the Penn Cove mussels and the Olympia oysters that I also order for Fram-2-market. I like the Penn Cove mussels better than the PEI and New Zealand Green Lip mussels. The Olympia oysters are tiny, about the size of a man’s thumbnail and they are oh, so sweet. If you are into oyster stew, those are the ones!
"I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian" -Erma Bombeck
no avatar
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Steve P » Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:24 pm

Gary Hirsch wrote:Hi Steve,

Thanks for you visit and our 20 minute conversation we had in my store yesterday. It was a pleasure to meet you and your wife.

I feel the need to address some of your concerns and misunderstandings.

"I just found it a bit odd that a local businessman would tell me categorically that there were NO wild caught shrimp available in Louisville and then I drive down the street and find out that (apparently) that is not the case. No big deal."

When you asked for "Fresh Wild Caught Shrimp from the States" I replied to you, that " NO one in Louisville carries FRESH Wild Caught Domestic Shrimp". At that point when I was asked, where is our Shrimp is from? I went over to the Freezer where I pulled out one of our bags and showed you that they were from Bangladesh. I also stated that "what you see in our case is the same as what is in our freezer". We carry 12 different sizes and types ( EZ Peel, Raw, Peeled and Deveined and Cooked, Peeled and Deveined. I also stated to you and your wife that we do not carry domestic shrimp. We went no further on that conversation. Let me explain... We do not carry domestic Shrimp due to the sizing process by experience. I just left The Fresh Market after reading this thread, purchased 1 lb of "Wild American Brand" from Louisiana ( Frozen, Brown, Not White) Shrimp labeled 16/20 count and received 24 pieces! This is the reason I will NOT carry a domestic Shrimp. If you pay for a 16/20 ct, you should receive 16/20 pieces!

Gary Hirsch
Highland Fish Market

Gary,

Thank you for clearing up the confusion. I'm afraid Becky and I both came away from our conversation with the same misunderstanding and as a result we offer our most sincere apologies if we have caused you any consternation. In the future you have my assurances we will try to be better listeners. We really appreciate the time you spent with us and were very impressed with the appearance of your shop and the quality of your seafood as well as your product knowledge and friendliness. We look forward to doing business with you for years to come.
no avatar
User

David O.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:52 am

Louisville

by David O. » Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:09 pm

Steve P wrote: We look forward to doing business with you for years to come.

Sure, if you like Bangladesh shrimp. :wink:

I think the local Kroger store has an excellent product called "Key West Pink Shrimp" in their frozen case. It is packed 1 lb packages of 3 or 4 different sizes.

The size/count seems pretty consistent/true. I believe the taste beats the heck out of any freshwater southeast asian or bangladesh product that I've tried. And I can't help but question the quality of the "freshwater" that freshwater shrimp is raised in.
David O.
no avatar
User

Gary Hirsch

{ RANK }

Just got here

Louisville, KY

by Gary Hirsch » Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:39 pm

The traditional practice of trapping-growing operation method of Shrimp farming in Bangladesh, Malaysia, Thailand, Philippines, Indonesia and Vietnam, wherein seeding and water flow is dependent on tidal water inflow and/or pumping. A mixture of shrimps are accumulated in the ponds and allow them to grow on natural food.

David O, just in case you can’t figure out the paragraph above, in other words, the ponds are naturally and mechanically pumped in with natural saltwater from our wonderful oceans. There are other methods that are used as well, but feel free to figure those out on your own.

Gary Hirsch
Highland Fish Market
http://www.highlandfish.com
"True freedom takes place in the spirit. Many will try 2 shackle that spirit, 4 many have none of their own." TAFKAP
no avatar
User

David O.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:52 am

Louisville

by David O. » Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:35 pm

Gary Hirsch wrote:David O, just in case you can’t figure out the paragraph above, in other words, the ponds are naturally and mechanically pumped in with natural saltwater from our wonderful oceans. There are other methods that are used as well, but feel free to figure those out on your own.

Spoken like a true gentleman and one who is obviously looking for my repeat business. :shock:
David O.
no avatar
User

Gary Hirsch

{ RANK }

Just got here

Louisville, KY

by Gary Hirsch » Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:31 pm

David O,

Of course I took offense to your post. Not only did you knock the product I carry, you had no clue that they ARE saltwater Shrimp. Then you take a new local person, quote them and tell them that in your opinion a national chain has a better product then the local fishmonger. HMMMMMM sounds a little odd to me and everyone else that has contacted me about your opinions and recent post. A little research would probably do you good before you state so-called facts about certain products that you have demonstrated you have no clue about. Believe me when I say as a "True Gentleman", “ It is OK to lose you as a customer, in order to educate the public, when you David O misrepresented the facts”.

I Remain,

Gary Hirsch
Highland Fish Market
http://www.highlandfish.com
Next