Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

Canning query

no avatar
User

John Hagan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:38 pm

SPENCER CO. Lake Wazzapamani

Canning query

by John Hagan » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:44 am

I have a question for the canning experts here. My trusty Ball Blue book of Preserving reccomends adding 2 tbls of bottled "lemon" juice to every quart of tomato sauce that I process. I have always found that stuff to be at best revolting. After looking around on the web it seems that using real lemon juice as an acid is not reccomended due to the varying degrees of acid found in the real deal. Does that nasty flavor come out in the finished product. Is there another option?
Also do you see anything wrong with the following...When I have paste tomatoes that have not sold at market I have washed them and cut the tops off and frozen. I plan to take around 45 pounds of these and cook untill soft and run thru a food mill. I will then take the pulp and cook further until reduced by about half then process,expecting around 7 quarts of unseasoned sauce. Do you forsee any problems using the frozen tomatoes as opposed to fresh off the vine? Should I increase my acid levels?
The tall one wants white toast, dry, with nothin' on it.
And the short one wants four whole fried chickens, and a Coke.
no avatar
User

Sarita C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:02 am

Re: Canning query

by Sarita C » Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:07 am

I've never used any citrus or citrus bi product in my sauce for canning (or tomatoes) and have not thus far had a problem. As long as you have a good seal and a dark cool basement you should be fine. You will know if something is wrong with your jar if the top pops up and there is a white film on the top of the sauce after about a week or so.
no avatar
User

Lois Mauk

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:08 pm

Jeffersonville, Indiana

by Lois Mauk » Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:23 pm

John, are you going to process this sauce with a pressure canner or with a hot water bath?
Make a fast friend . . . Adopt a retired racer from Greyhound Pets of America!
http://www.GPALouisville.org
no avatar
User

John Hagan

{ RANK }

Foodie

by John Hagan » Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:08 pm

Hot water...
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:30 pm

John,

When I can tomatoes, I use citric acid or white vinegar (not bottled lemon juice). Here's the proportions:

Acidification
To ensure safe acidity levels in whole, crushed, or juiced tomatoes use the following recommendations.

Bottled lemon juice 1 Tablespoon/ pint 2 Tablespoons/qt
Citric acid 1/4 teaspon/pint 1/2 teaspoon/qt
Vinegar (5 percent acidity) 2 Tablespoons/pint 4 Tablespoons/qt

If you want some citric acid, let me know and I can bring you some at Beargrass on Saturday (I have bunches for cheese making and you don't need much)

Deb
no avatar
User

John Hagan

{ RANK }

Foodie

by John Hagan » Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:19 pm

Hey Deb,
Thanks, I was looking for some out here in the sticks, but had no luck. If you are going to the market I would like to buy some off you. Dont go out of your way though. I will PM you where to find us.Thanks
no avatar
User

John Hagan

{ RANK }

Foodie

by John Hagan » Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:24 pm

Hey Deb, Thanks for hooking me up with the acid (its been awhile since I have used that phrase). The canning went pretty well for us on Sunday. Fifty pounds of heirloom itialian paste tomatoes turned out seven quarts. I ended up borrowing a friends Victorio Strainer #200. This unit clamps to the side of the counter and has a big hopper on the top to dump the tomatoes into. I found it took little effort to crank this thing and was surprised how quick it went. The only problem I had was the clamp that held it to the counter would loosen. At one point, while I was trying to retighten the clamp,Anne came in to how it was going. I was trying to get this thing tight and in the process jerked it off the counter and covered Anne(and a good portion of the kitchen) with tomatoes. Needless to say this was the last time I saw Anne in the kitchen that day until the final lidding took place. I had gone to great lenghts to make the kitchen a nearly surgical level of cleanliness,due to the horror canning stories I have read, so the look on both of our faces after that must have been priceless. In the end I dont think canning saves any money but I know I will be happy this winter making some fine sauce that still tastes of summer goodness. I still have about a hundred pounds in the frezzer so we should get another 14 quarts over the next couple weekends. Thanks to everybody for your help.
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:36 pm

John,

I got a big chuckle out of the thought of me delivering "acid" to the market. :wink: Glad to be of help, and it also got me motivated to do my own canning on Sunday. Only 6 jars (I ran out of Romas), but it's something. I also made two batches of outstanding oven-roasted tomatoes- tasted like the essence of Summer Tomatoes when they were done! Outstanding refrigerated, they also freeze well. They work best with Romas or smallish round tomatoes- let me know if you are interested in trying them.

How'd the V-8 juice come out?

Deb