Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

Robin's dinner

no avatar
User

Heather Y

{ RANK }

In Time Out Room

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Prospect

Robin's dinner

by Heather Y » Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:50 pm

Robin asked for ideas for his Chicken dinner tonight!

He has chicken and summer squash.

I immediately thought of classic pan roasted chicken with a Summer squash Gratin using the yummiest cheese
you have on hand! Easy and Delish!
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Robin's dinner

by Robin Garr » Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:25 pm

Thanks, Heather! Actually, I should have specified that I had a couple of boneless free-range chicken breasts, not a whole chicken.

I ended up piddling around in Google for ideas and then building my own quick dish with a sort-of Moroccan influence: Cut the chix into bite-size cubes and tossed them in a Ras El Hanout spice mix that I got from a pal in Australia (don't ask!). Browned onion and garlic and a little red-pepper flake in olive oil, then added the spice-dredged chicken pieces until everything was good and brown. Meanwhile, I quartered and sliced three smallish summer squash, steamed them until al dente to get them started. Added them to the chicken and spice mix, cooked covered for a few minutes, and then stirred in the juice of a lemon and about 1/4 cup of chopped green olives. Served over couscous and called it dinner. Was good, and got even better with a Sicilian Chardonnay.
no avatar
User

Ethan Ray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:30 pm

by Ethan Ray » Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:33 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Thanks, Heather! Actually, I should have specified that I had a couple of boneless free-range chicken breasts, not a whole chicken.

I ended up piddling around in Google for ideas and then building my own quick dish with a sort-of Moroccan influence: Cut the chix into bite-size cubes and tossed them in a Ras El Hanout spice mix that I got from a pal in Australia (don't ask!). Browned onion and garlic and a little red-pepper flake in olive oil, then added the spice-dredged chicken pieces until everything was good and brown. Meanwhile, I quartered and sliced three smallish summer squash, steamed them until al dente to get them started. Added them to the chicken and spice mix, cooked covered for a few minutes, and then stirred in the juice of a lemon and about 1/4 cup of chopped green olives. Served over couscous and called it dinner. Was good, and got even better with a Sicilian Chardonnay.

Ras el Hanout is pretty incredible stuff.

Has nice savory and sweet qualities to it.

I swear it'd become the new Chinese Five Spice, if it wasn't so expensive. (we pay over $40 a pound wholesale - for an unground blend)
Ethan Ray

I put vegetables in your desserts, white chocolate with your fish and other nonsense stuff that you think shouldn't make sense, but coax the nonsense into something that makes complete sense in your mouth. Just open your mind, mouth and eat.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:42 pm

Ethan Ray wrote:Ras el Hanout is pretty incredible stuff.

Has nice savory and sweet qualities to it.

We're sure on the same page here, Ethan.

I swear it'd become the new Chinese Five Spice

Of course, I'm a big fan of that, too.

if it wasn't so expensive. (we pay over $40 a pound wholesale - for an unground blend)

Ever thought about back-engineering it? I found a couple of online references to grinding it from a fairly simple spice mix ... here's a link to an Australian site with a recipe ... doesn't appear to have any really offbeat ingredients - cumin, cinnamon, cardamom, coriander, black pepper, yada, yada. I've got a fair-size bag that a foodie pal in Sydney sent me from Herbie's, a great spice store over there, but when it's gone, I'm going to be thinking about crafting some at home.

http://degroot.id.au/recipes/2006/03/07/ras-al-hanout/
no avatar
User

Ethan Ray

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ethan Ray » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:43 am

I'll check on what the blend that we get from Terra Spice includes, but it has some stuff that aren't too economical to get in small quantities in there own, price-wise (off the top of my head - Balinese long pepper, rose hips, grains of paradise, etc.)

Those three ingredients alone have distinct enough flavor profiles to warrant inclusion (in my opinion).

Are you familiar with Balinese long pepper?
I can't even begin to explain the flavor, scent and aroma profile and qualities it has...

Here's a wikipedia reference to it: Long Pepper
(Also known as: Balinese Long Pepper, Thai Long Pepper, Javanese Long Pepper, Indian Long Pepper or Indonesian Long Pepper)

Back to Ras el Hanout...

It's really an interesting spice blend to read about, especially it's history... some "traditional/historic" blends call for the the insect Spanish Fly (the same that is said to be an "bedroom" enhancer), as well as the potentially toxic belladonna.
Ethan Ray

I put vegetables in your desserts, white chocolate with your fish and other nonsense stuff that you think shouldn't make sense, but coax the nonsense into something that makes complete sense in your mouth. Just open your mind, mouth and eat.
no avatar
User

Heather Y

{ RANK }

In Time Out Room

Prospect

by Heather Y » Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:18 am

Now that sounds great lots of flavor, not like my boring old suggestion.

You did not need any suggestions at all!

Ras El Hanout---- You might, might .... be able to get some from Al Watan here in the ville.

On my next trip to the Middle east, I will check out the markets and see if I can get a bit for ya!

Glad you had a nice dinner.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:37 am

Ethan Ray wrote:I'll check on what the blend that we get from Terra Spice includes, but it has some stuff that aren't too economical to get in small quantities in there own, price-wise (off the top of my head - Balinese long pepper, rose hips, grains of paradise, etc.)

Those three ingredients alone have distinct enough flavor profiles to warrant inclusion (in my opinion).

<nodding> Makes sense to me. The Aussie Website was probably doing a "simple variation." I agree with you: When we're dealing with a spice that has a colorful history and long tradition, it's best to do it authentic if you can.

Are you familiar with Balinese long pepper ...?
I can't even begin to explain the flavor, scent and aroma profile and qualities it has...

I know it by name but haven't knowingly tried it. I would like to.

Back to Ras el Hanout...

I got us off on the wrong foot by pulling the spelling out of my head, by the way. It appears that Ras al Hanout ("al", not "el") is more common. My bad ...

It's really an interesting spice blend to read about, especially it's history... some "traditional/historic" blends call for the the insect Spanish Fly (the same that is said to be an "bedroom" enhancer), as well as the potentially toxic belladonna.

I just love stuff like this, and I'm guessing that you do, too!
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:43 am

Heather Y wrote:Now that sounds great lots of flavor, not like my boring old suggestion.

You did not need any suggestions at all!

Might not have needed them, Heather, but appreciated them. When I made my initial post I was under pressure, because I had told Mary the ingredients I was working with, and she was dubious that I could make them sing in harmony. ;)

Ras El Hanout---- You might, might .... be able to get some from Al Watan here in the ville.

Might be worth a try ... I love that place, anyway! Funny, though, in the age of the Internet, I can ask my pal in Sydney to pick some up at Herbie's any time, and she can mail it to me; Herbie has also gone through the paperwork to legalize direct shipment to the US, but it costs.

On my next trip to the Middle east, I will check out the markets and see if I can get a bit for ya!

Appreciated. Note that it is originally a North African spice, but I expect it's easily available in the Mideast. Also take note of my apology to Ethan ... I started us off with a wrong spelling. It's Ras al Hanout, not el.

Glad you had a nice dinner.

It was good, but Mary had some ideas for next time: Add carrots (we always had carrots in couscous dishes in France, and she doesn't consider it couscous without them); and make it "saucier," which probably isn't as authentic, but hey, if it tastes good ...
no avatar
User

Heather Y

{ RANK }

In Time Out Room

Prospect

by Heather Y » Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:25 am

Israel is part of what is considered the Syrian-African Rift , There were Jews who were persecuted in their home countries of Morocco, Tunisia, Algeria, and Egypt (oh and let's not forget Spain!) When they fled they went straight to Israel, and brought with them their spices!

The folks from those countries are considered Spharadi, and the Jews that came from Eastern Europe are considered Ashkenazi.

Two different sets of Cuisine, flavors, cooking styles, but share a common thread.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:37 am

Heather Y wrote:Two different sets of Cuisine, flavors, cooking styles, but share a common thread.

Thanks, Heather! I knew the broad outlines of that, but it's useful to have a good, clear definition.

Don't forget Italy, by the way - the Jewish populations in some of the northern cities (Sephardi, I assume) evolved a very distinct cuisine that you can still find featured in restaurants in places like Milan and Verona.
no avatar
User

Ethan Ray

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ethan Ray » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:16 am

Robin Garr wrote:I got us off on the wrong foot by pulling the spelling out of my head, by the way. It appears that Ras al Hanout ("al", not "el") is more common. My bad ...

With all due respect, I've seen it spelled both ways, the blend i have at work is spelled with "el" not "al"...
And in all fairness of reference: Wikipedia has the entry posted as Ras el Hanout.

Though I will admit that I always pronounce it as "al" not "el" (which is how I've always heard it said).
I suspect that the translation gets a bit lost in the al el business but is still prounounced "al" regardless of spelling.
Ethan Ray

no avatar
User

Heather Y

{ RANK }

In Time Out Room

Prospect

by Heather Y » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:51 am

Robin,
Yes I did leave out Italy, after I hit submit, I said "Oh Shi.... I forgot Italy!" Thank you for clearing that up.

Ethan, you are right, I have seen it spelled both ways as well.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:53 am

Ethan Ray wrote:With all due respect,

You don't have to say that ... it's understood around here ...

I've seen it spelled both ways, the blend i have at work is spelled with "el" not "al"...
And in all fairness of reference: Wikipedia has the entry posted as Ras el Hanout.

Though I will admit that I always pronounce it as "al" not "el" (which is how I've always heard it said).
I suspect that the translation gets a bit lost in the al el business but is still prounounced "al" regardless of spelling.

Yeah, I'll gladly defer to your scholarship, and would agree that what we're really dealing with here is a character in Arabic script, probably one that can be transliterated in more than one way. My little bag from Herbie's has "al" on it, though, and that's what I was using as my source.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:54 am

Heather Y wrote:Yes I did leave out Italy, after I hit submit, I said "Oh Shi.... I forgot Italy!" Thank you for clearing that up.

I've only got a minority of Italian blood in my veins, but I often think it dominates my soul. Couldn't stand by without saying something ...
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

by GaryF » Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:19 pm

[quote="Ethan Ray"]I'll check on what the blend that we get from Terra Spice includes, but it has some stuff that aren't too economical to get in small quantities in there own, price-wise (off the top of my head - Balinese long pepper, rose hips, grains of paradise, etc.)

Are you familiar with Balinese long pepper?

Here's a wikipedia reference to it: Long Pepper
(Also known as: Balinese Long Pepper, Thai Long Pepper, Javanese Long Pepper, Indian Long Pepper or Indonesian Long Pepper)quote]

If anyone wants to try out the Balinese Peppers I saw them today at Creation Gardens for $7.50.