Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

Wine Preservers

no avatar
User

Beth K.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 23, 2007 2:18 pm

Wine Preservers

by Beth K. » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:46 am

I would like to get a wine preservation system for home use and there are a lot of products out there. Does anyone have one that they would recommend? Specifically I was looking at the Metrokane Rabbit because it is so affordable, but I'm open to other suggestions.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Wine Preservers

by Robin Garr » Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:36 am

Beth K. wrote:I would like to get a wine preservation system for home use and there are a lot of products out there. Does anyone have one that they would recommend? Specifically I was looking at the Metrokane Rabbit because it is so affordable, but I'm open to other suggestions.

Beth, save your money. I'm a strong believer that the various wine preservations systems don't really do any more good than just pushing the cork back in and leaving the wine on the counter overnight or in the fridge for a week. After that it will start to lose its fruit anyway, and for the short term, it's really not worth the expense. Most of the systems do no good; a few (the little can of inert gas that you squirt into the bottle before recorking) may confer a small benefit. Basically, though, just close the bottle and finish it soon.
no avatar
User

Beth K.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 23, 2007 2:18 pm

by Beth K. » Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:02 am

Wow, really? OK then, I will save my money. It isn't too often that we have trouble finishing a bottle of wine. :wink: I was just hoping to extend the times that we do.
no avatar
User

Ethan Ray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:30 pm

by Ethan Ray » Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:53 pm

you could always go all L&N, and get yourself a Cruvinet system. :mrgreen:
Ethan Ray

I put vegetables in your desserts, white chocolate with your fish and other nonsense stuff that you think shouldn't make sense, but coax the nonsense into something that makes complete sense in your mouth. Just open your mind, mouth and eat.
no avatar
User

Lori M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:48 pm

East-End

by Lori M » Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:19 pm

Okay, so I use the Vac u Vin preserver. Check out this link http://www.cooking.com/products/shprodde.asp?SKU=105846 I actually will hear the 'cork' release when used properly. I find it does a great job keeping the wine 'fresh' for me. Maybe I am committing a wine sin? But I cannot finish the whole bottle myself (well, most of the time I cannot). :lol:
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:36 am

Lori M wrote:Okay, so I use the Vac u Vin preserver. Check out this link http://www.cooking.com/products/shprodde.asp?SKU=105846 I actually will hear the 'cork' release when used properly. I find it does a great job keeping the wine 'fresh' for me. Maybe I am committing a wine sin? But I cannot finish the whole bottle myself (well, most of the time I cannot). :lol:

Lori, it's not a wine "sin" at all! And if it makes you more comfortable about keeping your wine over, that's fine. Most people - and even many couples - won't finish a bottle of wine in a sitting.

It is my personal opinion, based on a few tests over the years, that leaving the wine in the opened bottle with the cork stuck back in is just about as effective - for a day or two at room temperature or maybe a week or so for whites in the refrigerator - and that's good enough for me.

But the Vacu-Vin isn't very expensive, and if it gives you reassurance, then don't let my wine geek raving make you feel bad about using it. :)