Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

Pork Loin

no avatar
User

Beth K.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 23, 2007 2:18 pm

Pork Loin

by Beth K. » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:25 am

I'm going to grill some whole pork loins. I've never done this before. I would appreciate some tips and/or marinade suggestions.
Thanks!
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

Re: Pork Loin

by Deb Hall » Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:12 pm

Beth,

I have a great recipe for whole spiced Pork Loin - but it's an oven recipe, not grill. Does that work?

Deb
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:35 pm

Deb Hall wrote:Beth,

I have a great recipe for whole spiced Pork Loin - but it's an oven recipe, not grill. Does that work?

Thinking out loud, it seems to me that with a whole pork loin on the grill, you'd pretty much want to replicate an oven - maybe a quick sear over direct heat, but mostly low and slow on indirect heat, not directly over the coals. Wouldn't you think so, Deb?
no avatar
User

Stephen D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:41 am

Lyndon, Ky

by Stephen D » Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:59 am

Beth K. wrote:I'm going to grill some whole pork loins. I've never done this before. I would appreciate some tips and/or marinade suggestions.
Thanks!

Robin's got it right. Sear the outside well and then low and slow until has a 135 to 140 degree internal temp, then let it rest for 10 to 15 mins. It will come up a few degrees during that time. You want just the smallest amount of pink in the widest part of the loin. I love using a meat injector on mine. You may also want to consider marinating your loin(s) in brine for 3 to 4 hours.
no avatar
User

Tom Holstein

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:55 am

Derby City :)

by Tom Holstein » Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:30 am

Beth K. wrote:I'm going to grill some whole pork loins. I've never done this before. I would appreciate some tips and/or marinade suggestions.
Thanks!

I've grilled many whole loins on my Weber using the indirect method (coals to the sides with drip pan).

I discovered Don's Famous Pork Loin Rub while surfing the net. I've used it the last 3 years resulting in Big RAVES from a wide spectrum of party folk. Most RSVPs contain requests/inquiries if Don's will be applied. http://www.mopork.com/Consumers_Recipes_DonsLoinRub.asp

I usually cheat on the Q sauce using a small bottle of Montgomery Inn heated with a shot of Makers and a heaping tablespoon of Don's rub.

The biggest problem is finding a spot to slice it up without lots of sneaky hands around the carving board. :lol:
no avatar
User

Michelle R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 30, 2007 1:28 pm

Hikes Point

by Michelle R. » Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:35 am

We usually throw ours on our grill's rotisserie.
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly!"
no avatar
User

John Hagan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:38 pm

SPENCER CO. Lake Wazzapamani

by John Hagan » Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:50 am

We have had pretty good results grilling pork loin when we used a rub. We make a variation on Alton Browns baby back rub. Rub it and stick in the fridge over night to 24 hours. Put all the coals on one side of the grill and sear/brown the loin well and move it over to the non coal side and cook to to about 130 and give it a good rest.
The tall one wants white toast, dry, with nothin' on it.
And the short one wants four whole fried chickens, and a Coke.
no avatar
User

Beth K.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 23, 2007 2:18 pm

by Beth K. » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:07 am

Hi all, the suggestions came a little too late, but thanks anyway. I actually decided to butterfly the loin and pound it so I could stuff it with lots of goodies: whole roasted garlic, mushrooms, figs and goat cheese. I rolled it and rubbed it with ground fennel seeds, salt and pepper and seared it on a high flame then moved it to the top rack to finish cooking. It was incredible and got all gobbled up!