Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

Food Mill question

no avatar
User

John Hagan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:38 pm

SPENCER CO. Lake Wazzapamani

Food Mill question

by John Hagan » Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:19 am

I am looking to pick up a food mill. I have seen the Folley type on ebay fairly cheap, 10 to 20 dollars. I ran across a different brand at a "box" store that was quite heavy 18-10 stainless I think, but it seemed to small to hold much. I have also seen various brands on amazon going for as much as 80 to 100 dollars. What do you feel would be a good brand and or size for someone who will most likley use this item once a month or so. Thanks
The tall one wants white toast, dry, with nothin' on it.
And the short one wants four whole fried chickens, and a Coke.
no avatar
User

Suzi Bernert

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:08 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Food Mill question

by Suzi Bernert » Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:25 am

Get to a thrift store or some yard sales! I got my large foley food mill for $2.00. If I see one on my travels to auctions and sales, I'll pick one up for you. :D
Retired from LMEMS
Co-Founder and House Mother
Berndows Enterprise
"Time to eat?"
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:04 pm

The Foley is the standard, and I've found them indestructible. I use mine a lot - especially in tomato season when I convert a lot of our garden's bounty into fresh-tomato sauce for freezing and winter enjoyment. 8) I think I've still got the original that I got when I first moved out on my own, back in the Jurassic Era.

I'm sure you could prowl yard sales or flea markets, but they can't be all that expensive new. I wouldn't bother with fancy alternatives ... it's a very basic piece of equipment.
no avatar
User

David R. Pierce

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:02 pm

by David R. Pierce » Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:09 pm

My old Foley was inherited from my Mom. It is stainless steel and probably holds 2-3 qts. I agree with everyones comment on yard sales. It is basic. Try posting a request on FreeCycle Louisville. Someone may give you one. You can get somewhat the same results with an immersion (stick) blender and a fine stainer.
Cheers,
David R. Pierce
The Original BBC Brewmaster
Bluegrass Brewing Co.
St. Matthews branch
Craft Brewing Louisville continuously since 1992
no avatar
User

John Hagan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:38 pm

SPENCER CO. Lake Wazzapamani

by John Hagan » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:02 am

I found a stainless 3.5 quart foley on amazon for under 25 bucks, but it had mixed reviews on how durable it was . Like most things I guess it not made the way it used to be. I have family coming down from Chicago this week and I might get one from them if they can find their old one. I hope so,as it would be much cooler to have the old school family unit.
The tall one wants white toast, dry, with nothin' on it.
And the short one wants four whole fried chickens, and a Coke.
no avatar
User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:32 pm

by carla griffin » Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:41 am

If you feel you must buy a new one try checking out the Tuesday Morning in southern Indiana. They have the largest cooking dept of any of the small discount houses and larger than the other Tuesday Mornings' as well. I've found several pieces of obscure kitchen equipment there and quite inexpensively.
Carla
There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't, and that's a wife who can't cook and will. ~Robert Frost