Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

Freezing Tomatoes

no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

Re: Freezing Tomatoes

by Deb Hall » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:20 pm

David,

Your bonus of tomatoes led me to post another stellar tomato recipe. Check- out the Peach & Tomato Gazpacho recipe in this forum... :D
Deb
no avatar
User

David R. Pierce

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:02 pm

by David R. Pierce » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:08 am

Deb Hall wrote:So, did you add any spices to your tomato paste- or is it just cooked, reduced tomatoes? It's one of the very few things I haven't made with tomatoes...
Deb

Here's what I used:
5 lbs. tomatoes - roma-type (I think you can use what ever you have) sliced in half
3 cloves smashed garlic
1 large white onion medium dice
handful of basil

Add after the food mill step:
1/2 cup wine (I use whatever the wife has open)
2 oz. olive oil

Put everything in a pot over medium heat, cover. I simmered for about 30 minutes or so until the tomatoes were pretty much broken down. Dump the whole mess into a Foley food mill and crank away. Return the resulting puree to the pot and simmer until the paste will mound on a spoon. I did add more garlic, diced fine, to the pot with the wine and olive oil. When the paste is as thick as you'd like transfer to a fine sieve/strainer over a bowl and drain for a few minutes. I freeze mine in an ice cube tray for individual servings.
Cheers,
David R. Pierce
The Original BBC Brewmaster
Bluegrass Brewing Co.
St. Matthews branch
Craft Brewing Louisville continuously since 1992
no avatar
User

C. Devlin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:42 pm

by C. Devlin » Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:43 pm

David R. Pierce wrote:
Deb Hall wrote:So, did you add any spices to your tomato paste- or is it just cooked, reduced tomatoes? It's one of the very few things I haven't made with tomatoes...
Deb

Here's what I used:
5 lbs. tomatoes - roma-type (I think you can use what ever you have) sliced in half
3 cloves smashed garlic
1 large white onion medium dice
handful of basil

Add after the food mill step:
1/2 cup wine (I use whatever the wife has open)
2 oz. olive oil

Put everything in a pot over medium heat, cover. I simmered for about 30 minutes or so until the tomatoes were pretty much broken down. Dump the whole mess into a Foley food mill and crank away. Return the resulting puree to the pot and simmer until the paste will mound on a spoon. I did add more garlic, diced fine, to the pot with the wine and olive oil. When the paste is as thick as you'd like transfer to a fine sieve/strainer over a bowl and drain for a few minutes. I freeze mine in an ice cube tray for individual servings.

And none too soon! We've got bowls and bowls of tomatoes standing around and more every day to harvest. I'm going to try this one as well.
no avatar
User

David R. Pierce

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:02 pm

by David R. Pierce » Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:09 pm

C. Devlin wrote:And none too soon! We've got bowls and bowls of tomatoes standing around and more every day to harvest. I'm going to try this one as well.

It is amazing how far the tomatoes cook down. I got 8 ice cubes per 5 lbs of tomatoes.
Cheers,
David R. Pierce
The Original BBC Brewmaster
Bluegrass Brewing Co.
St. Matthews branch
Craft Brewing Louisville continuously since 1992
Previous