Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

Herbs and spices in large sized jars.

no avatar
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

Herbs and spices in large sized jars.

by Doogy R » Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:21 pm

Does anyone know where I can pick up things like garlic powder, sumac, cumin, parsley, oregano, cardamom and other herbs and spices in large sized jars? I am talking about 10-14 ounce jars. I used to go down to the Global Grocery at the Cottages on Brownsboro but it burnt down a while back. There is a small Middle Eastern grocery where the original Shiraz was located, but their choices are minimal. I have an Indian grocery by me, but they carry only Indian foodstuffs.

So, is the any one place I can purchase a myriad supply of herbs and spices in 10-14 ounce containers? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

Re: Herbs and spices in large sized jars.

by GaryF » Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:38 pm

I get almost all my spices at Creation Gardens- you can buy in 10 oz jars or they have a shelf where you can get containers with the amount you need. I have found their big jars to be priced very well.
no avatar
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Doogy R » Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:18 pm

GaryF wrote:I get almost all my spices at Creation Gardens- you can buy in 10 oz jars or they have a shelf where you can get containers with the amount you need. I have found their big jars to be priced very well.

What prices are we talking about? Also, which spices? Not to be rude, but can you be more specific?
no avatar
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:27 pm

I'm not sure about the sumac, but Creation Garden carries all of those other spices and more and will sell them in bulk. Prices vary per spice, but they are more than reasonable as is my experience.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
no avatar
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Doogy R » Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:39 pm

I thank you. Peace, mon.
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

by GaryF » Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:14 am

The last big jar I got was anise and I think it was maybe $7 or $8. I have bought 3 or 4 kinds of peppercorns, tumeric, 5 spice powder, sichuan peppercorns,cardamon etc. The prices vary, and I can't quote them, but they seem reasonable to me- maybe you'll think differently. So be it.
no avatar
User

Ethan Ray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:30 pm

by Ethan Ray » Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:27 pm

Sumac and a number of the more "exotic" spices you mentioned are available at Shalimar grocery on Hurstbourne.
They come in bulk bags, but you could transfer them to other containers.

I second Creation Gardens, and also suggest GFS on Hurstbourne for bulk "basic" items.

R.L. Schreiber may be another option, they supply a number of local restaurants with herbs and spices and other dried products...
I don't know about retail at a local level, but they do sell in wholesale-type quantities online (i checked star anise, and they sell it in 8 oz, 2.5 lb, and 15 lb packages.)

But back to supporting our local businesses:

There was some talk of The Spice Merchant in a previous thread.

I haven't been, but from what I've seen of their packaging, I'm lead to believe they purchase in bulk then repackage.
It may be worth looking into, and asking if you can purchase in bulk.
Ethan Ray

I put vegetables in your desserts, white chocolate with your fish and other nonsense stuff that you think shouldn't make sense, but coax the nonsense into something that makes complete sense in your mouth. Just open your mind, mouth and eat.
no avatar
User

Paul Pfister

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:57 pm

greater Germantown

by Paul Pfister » Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:43 pm

Nuts n Stuff does not stock sumac but we do have all the rest of the spices you mentioned. We sell in bulk from half ounce to pound quantities. Feel free to call and let us know what you are looking for.

Paul Pfister
Nuts n Stuff
(502)363-3338
"a pinch or a pound, a tad or a ton"-Nuts n Stuff
no avatar
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Doogy R » Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:03 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions. I am going to consolidate a grocery trip to include Creation Garden's, KY Bison Company and Nuts n Stuff. I will probably stop by Amazing Grace as well. I like the olive oil soaps they carry. I will be a happier camper after this trip.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:19 pm

Doogy R wrote:Thanks for all the suggestions. I am going to consolidate a grocery trip to include Creation Garden's, KY Bison Company and Nuts n Stuff. I will probably stop by Amazing Grace as well. I like the olive oil soaps they carry. I will be a happier camper after this trip.

One thought ... unless you're buying for restaurant service or a very large community project, you don't really want to buy herbs and spices in large quantities. Dried herbs and spices are best purchased in small quantities and used while they're fresh. One useful task that a lot of home cooks would benefit from: Go through your spice drawer/rack and dump the older stuff, replacing it with new. Your taste buds will thank you.
no avatar
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Doogy R » Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:28 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Doogy R wrote:Thanks for all the suggestions. I am going to consolidate a grocery trip to include Creation Garden's, KY Bison Company and Nuts n Stuff. I will probably stop by Amazing Grace as well. I like the olive oil soaps they carry. I will be a happier camper after this trip.

One thought ... unless you're buying for restaurant service or a very large community project, you don't really want to buy herbs and spices in large quantities. Dried herbs and spices are best purchased in small quantities and used while they're fresh. One useful task that a lot of home cooks would benefit from: Go through your spice drawer/rack and dump the older stuff, replacing it with new. Your taste buds will thank you.

I appreciate the suggestion. I cook a lot for myself, friends and family. Nothing commercial at all. I like to season my food very well and go through a lot of herbs, spices, blends and other sorts of things. I am a especially happy now that all the local produce is hitting the stands, particularly that one right by me.
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:29 pm

Doogy,

To Robin's point on freshness: My approach is to buy small quantities (say 2-3 oz) in bulk when I can from Nuts n Stuff, Lotsa Pasta or Whole Foods, then use it to refill clear glass containers spice containers I already have. You can buy them very inexpensively at Pier One, Garden Ridge or the like. Other than chili powder and maybe sesame seeds, even with all our cooking, I find it hard to go thru enough spices to keep a 10 oz bottle at peak freshness.

Deb
no avatar
User

Ethan Ray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:30 pm

by Ethan Ray » Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:16 pm

Deb Hall wrote:Doogy,

To Robin's point on freshness: My approach is to buy small quantities (say 2-3 oz) in bulk when I can from Nuts n Stuff, Lotsa Pasta or Whole Foods, then use it to refill clear glass containers spice containers I already have. You can buy them very inexpensively at Pier One, Garden Ridge or the like. Other than chili powder and maybe sesame seeds, even with all our cooking, I find it hard to go thru enough spices to keep a 10 oz bottle at peak freshness.

Deb

I saw these the other day at BB&B, and thought they were pretty awesome.

Magnetic Spice Tin

I could care less about the magnet on the bottom, but they were pretty sleek looking and hold 3.7 ounces.
...but if you're constrained for space in your kitchen, you can store your spices on the door of your fridge (???) :?

The lid has two little openings that you can use to either shake or pour with (imagine like the spice tins you'd get with the 3 different openings in them.)

$2 a piece isn't too bad for a nice brushed metal container.

i may very well go pick up a dozen or so myself sometime soon.
Ethan Ray

I put vegetables in your desserts, white chocolate with your fish and other nonsense stuff that you think shouldn't make sense, but coax the nonsense into something that makes complete sense in your mouth. Just open your mind, mouth and eat.
no avatar
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:27 am

those babies are great. They are lightweight, store virtually anywhere (the magnet allows you to put magnet strips anywhere and keep your spices wherever you can think of!), and the opaque metal ensures that the nasty old sun doesn't render your spices inert before their time!
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY