Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

Anaheim peppers at any farmer's markets

no avatar
User

Sarita C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:02 am

Anaheim peppers at any farmer's markets

by Sarita C » Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:59 pm

Hello All,

I usually grow these myself but mine are a little slow this year. When that happens I turn to farmer's markets. I've yet to see them at the 2 markets I frequent and given gas prices I'd hate to drive around town in search of these only to come home empty handed. They are wonderful roasted, peeled and seeded and I use them for many dishes.

If someone has seen them please post. I'd be happy to share recipes for them.

Thanks,
Sarita
no avatar
User

Leann C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:42 pm

Highlands

Re: Anaheim peppers at any farmer's markets

by Leann C » Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:01 pm

If you can't find fresh, you might give ValuMarket a call to see if they have them dried in their ethnic section. I was just there an hour ago and noticed that they had several different types of dried chile peppers. I cannot remember if they had Anaheim specifically. (Mid-City Mall location)

You may also want to check Burger's Market (for fresh). Oh, and Paul's of course. Sorry. I'm having stream of consciousness issues today.

Fyi..I just found this site with a listing of Kentucky farms that sell produce etc. Interesting.
http://www.kyfb.com/federation/Roadside ... adside.asp
no avatar
User

Jackie R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:48 pm

Highlands

by Jackie R. » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:12 pm

I got some poblanos at the beargrass market last week. Aren't they very similar to Anaheims? I just googled to be sure and I don't know what to think. I guess the spiciness can vary alot, but the peppers are interchangable in some recipes. But, at the same time, my experience with dishes using Anaheims leaves me thinking "more flavor". Hmmm...
no avatar
User

MichelleJ

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:47 am

Highlands

by MichelleJ » Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:27 am

I saw some just this morning at the Bardstown Road Farmers' Market.
Consuming Louisville
very good things to do, buy & eat in the River City

http://www.consuminglouisville.com
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:56 am

Also saw them this morning - in considerable quantity - at the big Garey Farm (Lexington) tent at Beargrass for $3 a quart.
anaheims.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Sarita C

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Sarita C » Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:13 am

Thanks ya'll for the heads up. These peppers are used more so than poblanos where I'm from. (West Texas and New Mexico)
I use both red and green in my recipes. I try to stock up on the green and freeze them to get us thru the winter.

Gotta go...maybe they wont run out before I get there.:-)
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:21 am

Sarita C wrote:Thanks ya'll for the heads up. These peppers are used more so than poblanos where I'm from. (West Texas and New Mexico)

Las Cruces? That's the US capital of chile pepper agriculture, isn't it, Sarita?

Back when I was working on a non-profit project in the '90s, I had a lot of contact with some really great farmworker advocates, and I remember spending about a week with some super folks who ran a pepper-pickers union organizing program called Sin Fronteras. Great guys ... and boy, did I get some great, simple eats when I was staying with them. :)

I had one of their T-shirts for the longest time until I wore it into oblivion, and I've still got one of their UFW Eagle buttons with "Queremos Un Contrato" on it around here somewhere. I occasionally wear it when I'm dressed up fancy for a business meeting, just to freak people out. ;)

Anyway, sorry about the not-quite-foodie digression, but talking about Anaheims and Poblanos and Serranos and such always make me remember those guys.
no avatar
User

Sarita C

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Sarita C » Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:50 pm

Las Cruces? That's the US capital of chile pepper agriculture, isn't it, Sarita?

Yup. I think Hatch holds the title though.

Hotter than a biscuit down there. An arid dry heat that hits your shoulders and goes straight to the bone that feels just wonderful for about 30 seconds until the heat from the pavement hits your ankles and finishes you off.

Thanks for the tip and the story Robin. My grandmother was a local artist and teacher down there and quite often she would take her students out to draw and paint the scenery. I have a fantastic watercolor actually called "the chili pickers" that we love.

I picked up 5 quarts of which were so large I had to ask the girl behind the table if they were really Anaheims. They smelled like Anaheims and I will be roasting them today.

Thanks again!

Sarita
no avatar
User

Sarita C

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Sarita C » Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:42 am

I'm going home for a visit in September! I've been looking at shipping some New Mexican chilis here but it's sooooo expensive because I more than likely would have to send them 2nd day. But...I can take an extra suitcase, slip it in a bigger suitcase and bring some home. Anyone know what American Airlines is charging these days for luggage or any other ideas on how to get my precious chilis home to Louisville?