Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

Local Crominis?

no avatar
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Louisville

Local Crominis?

by Kim H » Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:11 pm

I'm trying to find some local, preferably organic, cromini or portobello mushrooms. I know of Sheltowee Farms, but it looks like they only sell shitake and oyster mushrooms. I looked at Creation Gardens site, but it only listed a 10 pound box, which is far more than I need. I know there are several other local farms who produce mushrooms, but I'm not sure which ones might sell crominis or oyster. Any ideas? TIA
no avatar
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

Re: Local Crominis?

by RonnieD » Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:59 pm

You might be able to get smaller quantities from Creation Gardens if you go through the public welcome storefront. I've never had a problem getting smaller quantities from them that way. Maybe it is different for specialty items, but I shoudn't think those fungi would be a problem.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

Re: Local Crominis?

by Deb Hall » Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:57 pm

Kim,

I'm sure you can but Cremini and/or Portobello mushrooms by the lb at Creation Gardens. Unfortunately I doubt that they are local - the vast majority of their produce is shipped in.

The Sheltowee farms oyster mushrooms are incredible and I believe thay still carry them at Whole Foods.

Deb