Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

Jerk tofu burritos

no avatar
User

thommy browne

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:21 pm

Louisville

Jerk tofu burritos

by thommy browne » Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:28 am

This is one of my all time favorites!

Drain 3/4 block of tofu in paper towels for 15-20 mins (while prepping other ingredients)

marinade:
2-3 tbsps jerk seasoning (the redder ones are better. the yellowy ones have too much of a cumin/coriander taste, in my opinion)
1 tsp ground cloves
1-2 tsps allspice
3-4 diced garlic cloves
1 tbsp diced ginger
less than a tbsp of oil
enough soy sauce to make all the other ingredients into a paste (at least 2 tbsps)

Use a fork to stir all of the marinade ingredients together in tupperware, then cut the tofu into smaller 1" or so cubes and throw it into the tupperware wiith the marinade. Put on the top and shake it until the tofu looks evenly covered. Set to the side while you prepare everything else - the longer it sits the better.

Once you decide to cook, put a fair amount of oil in a pan over medium high heat and wait til the oil's good and hot. Dump in the tofu and as much marinade as you can get outta the tupperware, and fry it up! It's done when most of the moisture from the marinade evaporates and the powdered sesonings are beginning to crisp onto the tofu, like right before it begins to burn.

I serve it with brown rice, and pinto beans that i cooked from the bag, with cilantro, garlic and plenty of paprika. Otherwise, add what you want. I used avocado, sour cream, cheese, and grilled squash and onion.

enjoy!
no avatar
User

Heather L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:12 am

Re: Jerk tofu burritos

by Heather L » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:21 am

Yummy! That sounds great Thommy - thanks!
....And be faithful to
Local Merchants Too.
Never buy far off
What you can buy near home.....
(Wendell Berry)
no avatar
User

Stephen D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:41 am

Lyndon, Ky

by Stephen D » Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:06 pm

That does sound quite tasty. By any chance, have you tried it with fried tofu yet?
Last edited by Stephen D on Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

vern cline

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:07 am

by vern cline » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:07 pm

Printing that one out. sounds good Thanks!