Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

We're new...where do we shop ?

no avatar
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

We're new...where do we shop ?

by Steve P » Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:45 pm

Hi Guys,

The lovely bride and I will be moving to the area at the end of August. We're curious where most of you shop when you are looking for quality ingredients. In particular we're interested in finding a good -fresh- seafood market (WILD caught shrimp, Halibut, Oysters, Crawfish, etc) as well as a good meat market or custom butcher. Besides enjoying cooking at home, we also compete on the BBQ circuit so it is important to find someone who can provide quality meat. We'll be living in Oldham Co. but don't mind a wee bit of a drive for quality meat, seafood and produce. Thanks again to all of you (other) "Foodies" out there. We do more "lurking" than posting and always enjoy reading more about our new hometown.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
no avatar
User

Lois Mauk

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:08 pm

Jeffersonville, Indiana

Re: We're new...where do we shop ?

by Lois Mauk » Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:44 am

Dear Steve:

I'm sure another forum member can point you in the right direction insofar as East Louisville/Oldham County groceries, meat markets, etc. I live in Southern Indiana and my local resources might be out of the way for you.

You mentioned competitive BBQing. I can recommend you check out Nuts N Stuff on Preston Highway, just inside the Watterson Expressway, for spices, herbs, etc.

If I were you, I'd check out the offerings at Costco since you won't be far from there. Closer, maybe, than any of the "other" warehouse clubs. Personally, I much prefer Costco over its competition.

As for very high quality meats, a lot of people are raving about Preferred Meats in Sellersburg, Indiana. They raise, process and butcher their own livestock and folks are raving about the quality of the products offered there.

I'm sure others have some excellent suggestions for you.

Lois
Last edited by Lois Mauk on Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Make a fast friend . . . Adopt a retired racer from Greyhound Pets of America!
http://www.GPALouisville.org
no avatar
User

Suzi Bernert

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:08 pm

Louisville, KY

by Suzi Bernert » Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:33 am

The Fresh Market hs excellent meat, produce, cheeses and a fantastic deli/prepared food area. They also give wonderfull personal service, something not seen in "super" markets. Disclaimer - my hubby works there, but he works there because of the above reasons.

There is Creation Garden downtown and the multitude of Farmers markets in season.

I am going to let out my big secret spot - BIG LOTS! I check in there occassionally for some gourmet and not-so-gourmet options. I have gotten wonderfull basamic vinegar, EVOO, spices and ethnic foods there. It is the luck fo the draw there, so you go to stock your pantry, not to find specific items. Some even have a frozen food section.
Retired from LMEMS
Co-Founder and House Mother
Berndows Enterprise
"Time to eat?"
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:00 pm

Steve, Highland Seafood in Middletown would be worth the drive for you ... and no list of foodie destinations would be complete without including Lotsa Pasta in St. Matthews. Agree with Preferred Meats in Sellersburg for local, natural farm raised meats. You can also get a variety of good meat, poultry and eggs at the Beargrass and Highlands farmers markets on Saturday mornings in season. Probably at some of the other smaller farmers markets, too, maybe even in Lagrange, but those two are the biggest.
no avatar
User

Scott Hack

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:09 pm

Pewee Valley, Kentucky

by Scott Hack » Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:32 pm

I sent Steve a private message and then realized that other people might be interested as well... so here I go again :)

Clem's Seafood is a wholesaler located in the business park in Buckner. I'm not a fan of seafood, so I can't say exactly what they stock, but they do sell to the public. I've had friends get clams, lobsters, breaded cod, etc from them. I don't know how much of what they carry is frozen and how much is fresh. But this could be an option.

Clem's Seafood & Specialties
(502) 222-7571
Scott Hack
Finish Line Realty
502-376-4225
no avatar
User

Rebecca Clark

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:57 pm

by Rebecca Clark » Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:55 pm

Steve & Becky,

First of all, welcome to Louisville! I moved here 25 years ago and still haven't gotten bored with it!

I get most of my meat at Kingsley Meat and Seafood at 2701 Taylorsville Road, right by Bowman Field. They have an incredible variety of beef, pork, poultry, wild game, bison and seafood. They also have an extremely wide variety of bottled sauces and dressings. I've gotten to the point that I won't even buy store bought meat anymore.

Here is a link to their website.
http://www.kingsleycatering.com/index.html

Disclaimer: I am not affiliated in any way with Kingsley's, other than being a very satisfied patron.

Rebecca
"Save the neck for me, Clark!" - Cousin Eddie
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:06 pm

Seafood connection is St. Matthews is my "go to" for fish (now that my local one has closed). Once a week I buy fish at Costco and have been extremely happy with the quality of the fresh, wild caught fish ( Wild Ahi, salmon, swordfish- it varies based on season). In fact, just finished dinner of some of their Wil Caught salmon on the grill.

We are on the far East End. When you can't make it to Lotsa Pasta. (which is the best - chain or no), Meijer at Springhurst has a great selection (for a grocery store) of ethnic foods, and great produce- indicating which are locally/regionally grown. The Liquor Barn in the same shopping center has a surprisingly good selection of specialty foods. For the best produce go to Paul's Fruit Market- your closest location is either Middletown or the one on Brownboro Road across from Holiday Manor( this is a bigger store).

I second Kingsleys for meat.

Welcome!
Deb Hall
no avatar
User

Michelle R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 30, 2007 1:28 pm

Hikes Point

by Michelle R. » Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:24 pm

I third Kingslsey's!
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly!"
no avatar
User

Jessica Devine

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:29 pm

Germantown

by Jessica Devine » Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:01 pm

I highly recommend Frank's on Preston for your meat needs. Besides being really helpful and overly accomodating, their meat just tastes better to me. Also, their ground chuck is cheaper by the pound than Krogers out of the case. Last month, I had a graduation party and called the day before and asked if they could patty 30 ground chuck burgers and they were more than happy to accomodate me. It was under $35 too!
no avatar
User

Robin F.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:50 am

by Robin F. » Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:42 am

I second Frank's. I was in there for the first time a few weeks ago (after going to Nuts & Stuff) and we bought some ribeyes. They were fantastic. And it has that great butcher shop smell. My husband has shopped there for several years. For spices I would recommend Nuts & Stuff, The Spice Merchant (off of Chenoweth) or Lotsa Pasta.

But since you are pretty far east - didn't someone say there was a new Italian deli/grocer in Lagrange?
no avatar
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Steve P » Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:07 am

Michelle R. wrote:I third Kingslsey's!

Thank you to all for your suggestions...You have all been so helpful with this and all the other questions we've had over the past couple of months. Once we get settled I'll ask Becky to bake all of you some chocolate chip cookies. :D Warmest regards.
no avatar
User

David R. Pierce

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:02 pm

by David R. Pierce » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:08 am

Steve P wrote:

Thank you to all for your suggestions...You have all been so helpful with this and all the other questions we've had over the past couple of months. Once we get settled I'll ask Becky to bake all of you some chocolate chip cookies. :D Warmest regards.

Bring those cookies to the Louisville Hotbytes Forum BBQ & Book Drive July 19th @ 1PM and meet the clan in person!
Cheers,
David R. Pierce
The Original BBC Brewmaster
Bluegrass Brewing Co.
St. Matthews branch
Craft Brewing Louisville continuously since 1992
no avatar
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Steve P » Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:10 pm

David R. Pierce wrote:
Steve P wrote:

Bring those cookies to the Louisville Hotbytes Forum BBQ & Book Drive July 19th @ 1PM and meet the clan in person!

David,

Thank you VERY much for the invite but...<sniff>...I'm afraid our residency sentence here in Oklahoma won't be commuted until August 29th. May we take a rain check ? I'd love to sit down with the local beermiester and compare tasting notes.
no avatar
User

David R. Pierce

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:02 pm

by David R. Pierce » Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:13 pm

Steve P wrote:David,

Thank you VERY much for the invite but...<sniff>...I'm afraid our residency sentence here in Oklahoma won't be commuted until August 29th. May we take a rain check ? I'd love to sit down with the local beermiester and compare tasting notes.

Rain check for sure. I was trying to get some chocolate chip cookies...
Cheers,
David R. Pierce
The Original BBC Brewmaster
Bluegrass Brewing Co.
St. Matthews branch
Craft Brewing Louisville continuously since 1992