Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

Peach Recipes, please

no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

Peach Recipes, please

by Deb Hall » Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:32 pm

Folks,

We came back from Destin with a bushel of Alabama (yellow) peaches straight from the farmer. I have a few stellar recipes, but looking for some additional spectacular things to do with peaches when they are in season. Simple or complicated: main criteria is great taste.

Thanks!
Deb
no avatar
User

Sonja W

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:00 pm

Peaches in Sauternes

by Sonja W » Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:56 pm

I made this last summer and it was met with raves. It's from Ina Garten's Barefoot in Paris.

Peaches in Sauternes

6-8 very ripe yellow or white peaches
3 tbsp. sugar
1 (375-ml) bottle of good Sauternes
1 tbsp. Grand Marnier

Bring a pot of water to a boil and immerse the peaches in the water for 1 to 2 minutes, until the skins are loose. Remove the peaches with a slotted spoon and place them in a bowl of cold water to stop the cooking. Peel the peaches and then slice them off the pit in wedges into a bow. Stir in the sugar, Sauternes and Grand Marnier. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hourse, or overnight. Serve cool but not cold.
no avatar
User

Scott Schamel

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:02 am

Louisville, KY

Re: Peach Recipes, please

by Scott Schamel » Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:29 am

Can't go wrong with a nice peach salsa or (maybe a little more outside the box) a spicy peach chow chow...

peach ice cream or sorbet to cool things down a little....
If you keep looking back, you will miss what's ahead....
no avatar
User

Ethan Ray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:30 pm

by Ethan Ray » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:58 am

I've always been quite fond of using peachs with thyme and/or a nice floral scented honey.

It's almost always what i end up falling back on as flavor pairing references when using peaches.

I was doing some cocktail work with Stephen D. (Varanese) on Monday, and he had a peach syrup and corn in one drink... I made the suggestion of using thyme (falling back on it as a reference point) and it tied everything together beautifully.
(thyme also has a beautiful affinity for corn as well)
Ethan Ray

I put vegetables in your desserts, white chocolate with your fish and other nonsense stuff that you think shouldn't make sense, but coax the nonsense into something that makes complete sense in your mouth. Just open your mind, mouth and eat.
no avatar
User

Stephen D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:41 am

Lyndon, Ky

by Stephen D » Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:51 pm

Ethan Ray wrote:I've always been quite fond of using peachs with thyme and/or a nice floral scented honey.

It's almost always what i end up falling back on as flavor pairing references when using peaches.

I was doing some cocktail work with Stephen D. (Varanese) on Monday, and he had a peach syrup and corn in one drink... I made the suggestion of using thyme (falling back on it as a reference point) and it tied everything together beautifully.
(thyme also has a beautiful affinity for corn as well)

A perfect flavor bridge.
no avatar
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:37 pm

Deb, I haven't eaten this, but I loved the idea of it when I saw it on Top Chef:

Peach Taleggio Pizza
Marsha Lynch
LEO columnist, free range cook/food writer/food stylist
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:51 pm

Sonja,

Sounds great! Does it set up for some reason upon sitting, or is it a "martini glass " type dessert?

Ethan,

I brought some Tupelo honey back with us too (and I have Thyme in my garden) :D . Would you use the Tupelo, or high quality Wild Flower honey?

Scott,

My all- time favorite peach dessert is my homemade Peach & Amaretto Sorbet. I make multiple batches every summer in my Cuisinart Ice Cream maker (I also make it the winter with peaches I've blanched and frozen when they were in-season). I'll have to post the recipe to say "thanks" for everyone's suggestions.

Deb
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

by GaryF » Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:02 am

Peaches and thyme sounds like a great idea. One of my favorite upscale desserts of the last few years was a peach upside down cake with basil poached peaches on the side, instead of honey it had a 25 yr. balsamic drizzle. Yummy.
no avatar
User

Ethan Ray

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ethan Ray » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:21 am

Deb Hall wrote:
Ethan,

I brought some Tupelo honey back with us too (and I have Thyme in my garden) :D . Would you use the Tupelo, or high quality Wild Flower honey?

We use Tupelo (aka the Cadillac) as our general all purpose honey at the restaurant.
It should suit just fine.
Ethan Ray

I put vegetables in your desserts, white chocolate with your fish and other nonsense stuff that you think shouldn't make sense, but coax the nonsense into something that makes complete sense in your mouth. Just open your mind, mouth and eat.
no avatar
User

Sonja W

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:00 pm

by Sonja W » Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:02 pm

Deb Hall wrote:Sounds great! Does it set up for some reason upon sitting, or is it a "martini glass " type dessert?

It doesn't "set up" at all; a martini glass (or wide champagne glass) would be a lovely presentation.
no avatar
User

Ethan Ray

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ethan Ray » Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:59 pm

GaryF wrote:Peaches and thyme sounds like a great idea. One of my favorite upscale desserts of the last few years was a peach upside down cake with basil poached peaches on the side, instead of honey it had a 25 yr. balsamic drizzle. Yummy.

I definately think that vinegar (esp. balsamic) is an under utilized component in desserts.
Acid and salt play a huge roll in making flavors "pop" when you taste them.

A little squeeze of citrus, or a dash of vinegar can put a dish over the top.
I keep powdered citric acid as a neutral acid buffer.

As does a bit of salt in things.

Ice creams and other custards are especially well suited for this, since they begin with a liquid base, and will dissolve when heated.

Salt makes almost all flavors more pronounced, when used with care.
Ethan Ray