Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

New Cocktail Ingredient

no avatar
User

David R. Pierce

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:02 pm

Re: New Cocktail Ingredient

by David R. Pierce » Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:40 pm

Stephen D wrote:Sweet and sour sauce, the very same stuff found in Chinese Restaurants is made of a collection of fruit juices, sugar, corn starch and red dye. There are some variations out there that use ketchup, I am told. I'm not talking about them.

My first shot at this ingredient has been dubbed 'The Sweet and Sour Gin and Ginger:"

1.25 oz Gin
2 tbsp SnS Sauce
dash grapefruit bitters
Ginger ale to fill

Quite tasty. The guests I tasted it on wouldn't leave it alone. Granted, they appeared to be just out of College, so the cocktail slam is still a habit methinks! :lol:

The drink winds up being almost a neon red, making it very attractive. Not so sure how well it will sell, though. Perhaps something a little more crowd- friendly...

Stephen wiped up the virgin version sans bitters for me yesterday afternoon. I'm not much on "fru-fru" drinks but this thing shows promise. When he pulled out the florescent orange SnS sauce, I wasn't too sure he was nuts. With the bitters and an herbally Gin it should be nice.
Cheers,
David R. Pierce
The Original BBC Brewmaster
Bluegrass Brewing Co.
St. Matthews branch
Craft Brewing Louisville continuously since 1992
Previous