Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

New Cocktail Ingredient

no avatar
User

Stephen D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:41 am

Lyndon, Ky

New Cocktail Ingredient

by Stephen D » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:15 pm

Sweet and sour sauce, the very same stuff found in Chinese Restaurants is made of a collection of fruit juices, sugar, corn starch and red dye. There are some variations out there that use ketchup, I am told. I'm not talking about them.

My first shot at this ingredient has been dubbed 'The Sweet and Sour Gin and Ginger:"

1.25 oz Gin
2 tbsp SnS Sauce
dash grapefruit bitters
Ginger ale to fill

Quite tasty. The guests I tasted it on wouldn't leave it alone. Granted, they appeared to be just out of College, so the cocktail slam is still a habit methinks! :lol:

The drink winds up being almost a neon red, making it very attractive. Not so sure how well it will sell, though. Perhaps something a little more crowd- friendly...
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: New Cocktail Ingredient

by Robin Garr » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:44 pm

Interesting, very interesting!

Silly but curious question: Would you go with an authentic sauce from an Asian store in the pursuit of perfection? Or under the circumstances, would a squirt of the stuff in the plastic tube from a fast-food Chinese eatery do the job?
no avatar
User

Stephen D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Lyndon, Ky

by Stephen D » Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:03 pm

Because it was a serendipitous discovery, I am currently using the lesser of the 2 products. If it is popular, though, I will definitely develop the ingredient quality. I would like to see some more character if I can obtain it, and your idea is spot on!

I was also thinking about changing the delivery method. I'll probably make a simple syrup by adding some boiling water and placing it in a squeeze bottle.

I am also considering altering the flavor profile by passing the simple syrup and some pureed strawberries through a chinois. Maybe with some basil or some of the ginger- mint David, our manager brought into work.

I bet that would make and exceptional vodka martini or highball with tonic water.
no avatar
User

Tom Holstein

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:55 am

Derby City :)

by Tom Holstein » Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:17 pm

Stephen D wrote:Sweet and sour sauce, the very same stuff found in Chinese Restaurants is made of a collection of fruit juices, sugar, corn starch and red dye. There are some variations out there that use ketchup, I am told. I'm not talking about them.

My first shot at this ingredient has been dubbed 'The Sweet and Sour Gin and Ginger:"

1.25 oz Gin
2 tbsp SnS Sauce
dash grapefruit bitters
Ginger ale to fill

Quite tasty. The guests I tasted it on wouldn't leave it alone. Granted, they appeared to be just out of College, so the cocktail slam is still a habit methinks! :lol:

The drink winds up being almost a neon red, making it very attractive. Not so sure how well it will sell, though. Perhaps something a little more crowd- friendly...

Ouh....sounds great! Kind of like a sweet tart red Gin Buck :D

Make mine with Ale 8 if I may :)
no avatar
User

Stephen D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Lyndon, Ky

by Stephen D » Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:35 pm

Make mine with Ale 8 if I may

Monday, I'll be in trials with Maker's Mark and, if you don't mind, I'm gonna play with Ale 8. Could there be any cocktail more Kentuckian? (well, maybe the tobacco Manhattan, lol)
no avatar
User

Tom Holstein

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Tom Holstein » Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:59 pm

Stephen D wrote:

Monday, I'll be in trials with Maker's Mark and, if you don't mind, I'm gonna play with Ale 8. Could there be any cocktail more Kentuckian? (well, maybe the tobacco Manhattan, lol)

Blast off me Bucko.........this ol' EKU'r couldn't agree more. :lol:
no avatar
User

Stephen D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Lyndon, Ky

by Stephen D » Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:06 pm

Tom Holstein wrote:
Stephen D wrote:

Blast off me Bucko.........this ol' EKU'r couldn't agree more. :lol:

Hehe... I was just thinking of doing a Maker's/ Ale 8/ Buckwheat honey highball. Buckwheat honey tastes kinda like molasses to me, but can be made into honey water, which will mix better than molasses.
no avatar
User

Tom Holstein

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Tom Holstein » Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:11 pm

WOW couldn't be a better topic to post my one hundredth......

How about one of Ethan's encapsulated spheres with your SnS and grapefruit bitter film.........Gin 'n Ale 8 float support = "The Sweet and Sour Gin and Ginger Shooter"

I maybe better at tastin'... :lol: :lol: :lol:
no avatar
User

Tom Holstein

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Tom Holstein » Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:13 pm

Monday, I'll be in trials with Maker's Mark and, if you don't mind, I'm gonna play with Ale 8. Could there be any cocktail more Kentuckian? (well, maybe the tobacco Manhattan, lol)[/quote]

Blast off me Bucko.........this ol' EKU'r couldn't agree more. :lol:[/quote]

Hehe... I was just thinking of doing a Maker's/ Ale 8/ Buckwheat honey highball. Buckwheat honey tastes kinda like molasses to me, but can be made into honey water, which will mix better than molasses.[/quote]

KILLA!!

we must meet :)
no avatar
User

Stephen D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Lyndon, Ky

by Stephen D » Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:21 pm

How about one of Ethan's encapsulated spheres

I've been having the darndest time making my spheres work! /sigh

We'll keep at it though. :P
no avatar
User

Heather L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:12 am

by Heather L » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:57 am

I often drink bourbon and Ale-8 and actually have referred to it as a "Kentucky Cocktail" for years....

It's good stuff! But I really like the little glass bottles of Ale8 much better than it's plastic counterparts.
....And be faithful to
Local Merchants Too.
Never buy far off
What you can buy near home.....
(Wendell Berry)
no avatar
User

Stephen D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Lyndon, Ky

by Stephen D » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:25 am

Heather L wrote:I often drink bourbon and Ale-8 and actually have referred to it as a "Kentucky Cocktail" for years....

It's good stuff! But I really like the little glass bottles of Ale8 much better than it's plastic counterparts.

Then that's what we will call it, and will give Heather her props.
no avatar
User

Beth K.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 23, 2007 2:18 pm

by Beth K. » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:26 am

Stephen, I've never seen grapefruit bitters. Where did you find them?
no avatar
User

Stephen D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Lyndon, Ky

by Stephen D » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:34 am

Fee Brothers. They've got tens if not hundreds of varieties.
no avatar
User

Ethan Ray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:30 pm

by Ethan Ray » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:08 am

Stephen D wrote:
How about one of Ethan's encapsulated spheres

I've been having the darndest time making my spheres work! /sigh

We'll keep at it though. :P

I'd be more than willing to sitting down and figuring out ratios with you.
I mean, we've got to drink them to find out if they taste right, yes?

I haven't played with encapsulation in a while; but right now i'm working on a component of a new dish.
warm encapsulated root beer, floating/suspended in ice cold cream soda.

...so i'm already in that sort of trouble shooting mind-frame regarding the subject.

Hit me up with a PM.
Ethan Ray

I put vegetables in your desserts, white chocolate with your fish and other nonsense stuff that you think shouldn't make sense, but coax the nonsense into something that makes complete sense in your mouth. Just open your mind, mouth and eat.
Next