Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

Bialetti

no avatar
User

Beth K.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 23, 2007 2:18 pm

Bialetti

by Beth K. » Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:52 am

Has anyone tried their stovetop espresso and cappucino makers? How do they perform?
no avatar
User

AmyBK

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:32 pm

Main St. days, East End nights

Re: Bialetti

by AmyBK » Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:29 pm

Greetings, all. A longtime lurker coming out of the shadows. I've enjoyed your conversations. You are a lively bunch! And I'm amused at how many people I recognize from former lives. A mini Walden School reunion. But that's Louisville.

I have had the Mukka Express since Christmas and it is great! It takes a couple of uses to feel comfortable with how it functions but very easy to use and clean. You do need to pay attention to the water and milk fill lines. Cappucino in 5 minutes for pennies. Soak the valve in a little soap and water to clean out the milk gunk, to be sure the pressure releases correctly the next time. Every once in a while it will pull a "scud." Still tasty - just not very foamy.

I've purchased 2 - one for myself and one for a gift. Found the first one on eBay brand new for about 1/2 the going price, and then found the other at Bed, Bath, and Beyond up in The Summit, for about $40. My gift recipient is also wild about it.
no avatar
User

MarieP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:56 pm

St. Matthews

Walden

by MarieP » Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:25 pm

AmyBK wrote:A mini Walden School reunion. But that's Louisville.

OK, I went to Walden from '88-'95 (3rd-9th). I am racking my brain for Amy K. You know, I saw Ed's last name and wondered... My 5th grade class put on a colonial village, and we named it....Vermillionshire!

Interesting trivia: Gausthaus, The Feed Bag, and The Fishery all have connections to Walden families. And I was in class with a girl named Samantha Gatti. and she said it was the Gatti of the pizza place, but I couldn't really say if she was joking or not. I went to school with Mikey Ehrler of ice cream fame, but I can't remember if it was Prelude Preschool or Walden.

Just found this website: http://www.walden-school.org/Alumni/Alumni.htm
no avatar
User

AmyBK

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:32 pm

Main St. days, East End nights

by AmyBK » Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:30 am

Marie,
My last year there was 1980 - went to Walden when it was at the old KMI campus. Great years, great people. The Gattis that went to Walden with me in the dark ages were heavily involved in McDonalds franchises. Can't remember if they were part of Mr. Gattis or not. Oh, there is also another Walden alum that is in the restaurant business that you may not know about - Will up at the Westport General Store.
no avatar
User

Ethan Ray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:30 pm

by Ethan Ray » Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:14 am

AmyBK wrote:Marie,
My last year there was 1980 - went to Walden when it was at the old KMI campus. Great years, great people. The Gattis that went to Walden with me in the dark ages were heavily involved in McDonalds franchises. Can't remember if they were part of Mr. Gattis or not. Oh, there is also another Walden alum that is in the restaurant business that you may not know about - Will up at the Westport General Store.

i didn't grow up in Louisville...
But if i recall correctly there is a Samantha Gaddie of about that age who is Anthony Lamas' (Seviche) wife.
If i am correct, her father owns Gaddie Eye Centers.

or maybe i'm way off.

but the name was too close to not mention it.
Ethan Ray

I put vegetables in your desserts, white chocolate with your fish and other nonsense stuff that you think shouldn't make sense, but coax the nonsense into something that makes complete sense in your mouth. Just open your mind, mouth and eat.
no avatar
User

Mikey O

{ RANK }

Just got here

Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:38 pm

by Mikey O » Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:31 pm

I have the expresso pot. I discovered these on a trip to Italy and found this is the pot most families use at home. Easy to use, works great. I have the small two cup pot that I use daily and a larger one when needed. I used Lavazza "Rosso" and as I tired of that, got a bean grinder and have been using diferent beans. I added a frother to my gadget collection... Geez, does that make me a coffee snob????
I have found it easiest to clean it immedieately when it cools, kinda' gross if you forget, then go to use it the next time with all the grounds and some coffee in the bottom.... but it's an easy clean up - mostly rinse, then occasionly throw it in the dishwasher...
I use it on an electric stove... if you use electric, get a extra package of rubber rings - if you leave it empty of water, on a hot burner, while you peruse "HotBytes", you will melt the rubber ring.... don't ask how I know this.