Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

Bacon Drippings

no avatar
User

DeeDee D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:48 pm

Sellersburg, IN

Bacon Drippings

by DeeDee D » Fri May 23, 2008 8:40 am

Okay, so I cooked some bacon this morning and I'd like to save the grease for future flavor. Do I need to refrigerate this or can it sit on my counter? I remember when I was little, my grandma would keep it in a jar in the fridge, but I have heard of some people keeping it on the counter. What do you guys do?
Realtor, Semonin Realtors
Selling homes in beautiful Indiana
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Bacon Drippings

by Robin Garr » Fri May 23, 2008 8:44 am

DeeDee D wrote:Okay, so I cooked some bacon this morning and I'd like to save the grease for future flavor. Do I need to refrigerate this or can it sit on my counter? I remember when I was little, my grandma would keep it in a jar in the fridge, but I have heard of some people keeping it on the counter. What do you guys do?

I would be uncomfortable with storing anything like that at room temperature, personally. Seems like fertile breeding ground for bacteria to me!
no avatar
User

DeeDee D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sellersburg, IN

by DeeDee D » Fri May 23, 2008 8:48 am

Thats what I was thinking too Robin! I think I will stick w/ the jar in the fridge.
no avatar
User

DeeDee D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sellersburg, IN

by DeeDee D » Fri May 23, 2008 8:52 am

I forgot to say that the bacon I made was from Preferred Meats and it was so YUMMY! I'd have to say the best I have ever had! It was really that good. I really love that place.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri May 23, 2008 9:04 am

DeeDee D wrote:I forgot to say that the bacon I made was from Preferred Meats and it was so YUMMY! I'd have to say the best I have ever had! It was really that good. I really love that place.

Dittoes! We love Preferred Meats, too, and their bacon is da bomb! :D
no avatar
User

DeeDee D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sellersburg, IN

by DeeDee D » Fri May 23, 2008 12:23 pm

I make the best club sandwiches with the Boar's Head meats and cheeses and that wonderful bacon from Preferred!
no avatar
User

robert szappanos

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:17 pm

louisville, ky

by robert szappanos » Fri May 23, 2008 5:04 pm

Boar's Head bacon is also great...I have purchased it at Krogers...
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Fri May 23, 2008 9:02 pm

DeeDee,

I freeze the drippings from my favorite bacon (Nueske's Applewood smoked) in little plasic containers. When I need bacon grease for cooking I just scrape off the amount I need and/or defrost in the microwave.

(By the way my mother-in-law still keeps hers in a container next to the sink and no one has gotten sick: then again they use A LOT of bacon grease in their cooking so it's not sitting for a week....)

Deb
no avatar
User

Lois Mauk

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:08 pm

Jeffersonville, Indiana

by Lois Mauk » Fri May 23, 2008 9:50 pm

When I was growing up, EVERY stove had a bacon drippings container sitting on it. Ours was metal, had a strainer and a lid. My momma couldn't have cooked a pot of green beans without a dollop of semi-congealed bacon grease.
Make a fast friend . . . Adopt a retired racer from Greyhound Pets of America!
http://www.GPALouisville.org
no avatar
User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:32 pm

by carla griffin » Sat May 24, 2008 7:23 am

I freeze mine as well. In the winter I take what I haven't used, remove it from whatever container I've been storing it in, roll it in birdseed then put it in an empty, mesh onion bag and hang it out for the birds. They love it.
Carla
There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't, and that's a wife who can't cook and will. ~Robert Frost
no avatar
User

DeeDee D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sellersburg, IN

by DeeDee D » Fri May 30, 2008 9:39 am

I'm sure all of you are on the edge of your seat wondering about what I did about my bacon drippings. You'll be happy to know I found a whole case of small canning jars at a yard sale for a buck and they are perfect for the job. I'm keeping it in the fridge and look forward to using it soon. What will I do with the other 11 jars you ask, well, I'm going to make up a big batch of my spice rub and give them out as xmas gifts! I'm so on it!